Anthony Wilson

Alon Marcus

Recently I heard on a radio few tracks by Anthony Wilson's nonet (think it was a nonet, certainly not full big band but still relatively large). One of the tracks was called "southern gentleman" and Bennie Wallace was playing the tenor solo there. Truly impressed by the young Wilson's arranging skills, playing and band leading I'll be glad to hear your opinions about him and recommendations on his albums.

I have four Anthony Wilson recordings and enjoy them all. The first three, Anthony Wilson, Goat Hill Junket and Adult Themes are large group recordings that focus on Wilson's composing and arranging. The last one, Our Gang is a very impressive organ trio recording that shows how capable a guitarist Wilson is.

relyles, it seems that your avatar and the picture of Anthony Wilson I found were painted in a similar manner, maybe by the same man/woman.

B-)

Maybe similar, but not by the same artist. The picture of "The Bassist" that I use for my avatar was painted by Ernie Barnes. I am fairly familiar with his work and know that the picture you posted is not one of his.

Edited by relyles

relyles Posted on Sep 4 2004, 03:44 PM

Maybe similar, but not by the same artist. The picture of "The Bassist" that I use for my avatar was painted by Ernie Barnes. I am fairly familiar with his work and know that the picture you posted is not one of his.

Justice must be done, the name of the painter is Will Enns

you can find his pictures here

you can find his pictures here

not very simmilar to Dizzy and Ella but still colorful and entartaining.

B. Goren. Posted on Sep 4 2004, 03:17 PM

If you enjoy the father's work, this set is for you:

The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of Gerald Wilson and His Orchestra

Thank you Bentsy, actually it was your recommendation on our "native" forum that made me start listening to him.

I am happy to learn about my beneficial activities… ;)

I just saw Anthony two days ago with Benny Wallace. They did a tribute to Coleman Hawkins at the Chicago Jazz Fest on Saturday. Very nice show!! I'll post a photograph of two in a couple days!

Mark

Please do!

I heard a Wallace show in I think '99, with Wilson instead of some announced piano player. Very very nice!

ubu

• 2 weeks later...