Muse Records

Leeway

The CD release of Richard Davis's superb "Epistrophy & Now's The Time" had a "bonus" cut, a nice version of "Highest Mountain". It's my favorite Muse release, and a very live "live" recording.

Unfortunately the cd sounds much worse than the lp, imo. I'd get rid of that cd if not for the bonus track. It's a good one.

A big shout-out for Albert Dailey's Textures Lps.

Since many board members are fans of Mosaic, i thought i might mention that Michael Cuscuna produced a number of the original Muse dates.

Some of the artists he produced were Ricky Ford, Robin Kenyatta, Eric Kloss, Barry Altschul, Boo Boo Shaw, Albert Daily,Eddie Jefferson ad Larry Coryell. Im sure there were others, but those are the ones i can remember off the top of my head.

add woody shaw's little red's fantasy to that list. maybe that's why michael was so keen on hearing it on my car stereo 2 years ago when we dropped by mosaic to see him. great recording, btw. B-)

There were twenty of those camden titles. I don't have a list. The Donald Byrd was the best seller, though the Shaw was musically more convincing. The camdens mix-and-matched whole and part albums to fill two CDs, so their appeal to completists may be limited. They are no longer in print, AFAIK.

PS Tell a lie. They have a website and some of the titles still seem to be listed.

PPS A recent sale list from The Woods showed these titles as in print - this may or may not correspond to the Camden website listing:

BARRON, KENNY Sunset 74321 61089 2

BOWIE, LESTER Mirage 74321 61090 2

BURRELL, KENNY At The Village Vanguard 74321 61084 2

BYRD, DONALD Attitude 74321 61085 2

CORYELL, LARRY Confirmation 74321 61087 2

HOLMES, RICHARD GROOVE Plenty Plenty Blues 74321 61073 2

JONES, HANK/RED GARLAND Master Class 74321 61083 2

MILLER, MULGREW Milestones 74321 61077 2

SHANK, BUD/AL COHN/ZOOT SIMS/PHIL WOODS The Summit 74321 61082 2

SHAW, WOODY Solid 74321 61079 2

STITT, SONNY Constellation 74321 61091 2

STITT, SONNY/LOU DONALD SON Keepers Of The Flame 74321 61076 2

Edited by David Ayers

Its not that important, but the Donald Byrd and Mulgrew Miller were not Muse issues. They were originally on Landmark which was owned by Orin Keepnews. I think Muse may have ended up with the Landmark catolog, except for the Cannonball's which are owned by EMI, but i don't remember them issuing any of them on the Muse label.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot of MUSE titles I really love. Heck, the label was great for capturing more Woody Shaw as both leader and side man if nothing else! Love that Roy Brooks live date with Shaw, the Louis Hayes with Shaw, and of course all the Woody leader sessions.

Love the Rickey Ford stuff too. And James Spaulding.

Worthy label, and I'd compare the vibe of most of their recordings much more to Prestige than Blue Note (just based on feel and sound).

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love Muse!

Well, I love all of Joe's labels - Cobblestone, Muse, HighNote, Savant and Fedora. Adding them all up, I have 224 of them, and that must be somewhere between a quarter and a third of all the releases; it's nearly as many as I've got from the entire WB empire.

And three more on order from Da Barstids :)

MG