Frank Sinatra

bebopbob

I never got into the Reprise stuff. The three artists discussed here that I actually remember hearing in the sixties are Sinatra, Ellington and Basie. For some reason, I categorized Sinatra and Ellington as "old fart music" and hated it. I managed to work through that with Ellington; I need to try to with Sinatra as well. Funny thing, Basie was always cool, even when I wasn't...

In my twenties I had to be given the all-clear to like Sinatra by those in the know: his reputation was clouded for me by all the negative propaganda that surrounded him. I remember getting Songs for Swingin' Lovers (on vinyl), then No One Cares on a recommendation. One more purchase and I realised I had to get the lot.

I'd say you can safely buy all the Capitol albums: excellent is the word for the worst of them, most are beyond that. RCA/Columbia is also consistent but very different: he's very much the little-boy-lost balladeer here and it's a jolt if you are used to his later persona. Get a compilation (there are lots of good ones) and proceed accordingly.

Reprise: tread *very* warily. There is lots of good stuff, but it's not limited to the immediate post-Capitol phase. When Sinatra started tackling contemporary tunes in the mid-Sixties the quality became extremely variable, but he continued to do good songs, work with good arrangers and sing well. It's a mixed bag -- sometimes even on individual albums, such as Sinatra and Company, one side of which is devoted to a collaboration with Jobim, the other to covers of John Denver and Kermit the Frog. Rule of thumb: if he's doing standards, it's probably safe.

Wow, this thread was resurrected after nearly 7 years! Still, it's interesting to read through the recommendations. The Capitols are easy picks but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim. It's a real gem and anyone interested in Sinatra should definitely check it out. It's beautiful, relaxed, wonderful.

Edited by mikelz777

The new reissue of "Ring-A-Ding Ding" sounds good, and has (surprisingly, to me, at least) interesting and well-informed notes by Frank, Jr. There's a long track at the end, Sinatra working through an arrangement of "Have You Met Miss Jones." I've always thought this was one of his best albums, and wind up buying it every time it's reissued.

• 3 years later...

As usual, my memory fails as to which of you put me on to it (thank you!), but the Master Gold Mono Hi-Fi version of "Only the Lonely" was a revelation. I had worshiped the album for years, but listening to that version was like hearing it new all over again. I still think it is Sinatra's and Riddle's great masterpiece, followed very closely by "Songs for Swingin' Lovers." If I were forced kicking and screaming to choose only two, those would be the ones, but I couldn't. I have 'em all. Time for a glass of Jack and some music from Frank!

gregmo

Although not in the best sound (Live in Australia) or the best of the tour (Live in Paris - according to Will Friedwald, IIRC), I have a soft spot for small-group Sinatra. And on those, the duets with just piano or just guitar are worth a listen.

Here's a bit of footage.

There were plans for a studio recording with Red Norvo and the sextet, but it never came about.

As for the rest, there are 2-CD sets of early Sinatra (with and without Dorsey), and I agree on Live at the Sands (try to sing along the beginning of "Don't Worry About Me" breathing when he does...) and the Capitols. There used to be an official no-frills box with all the albums... ah, it's called the Capitol Concept Albums.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina