Favorite Rock Box Set?

Leeway

I have the 4cd set called "The Experience Collection" that has the first three Experience albums and a worthless fourth cd that has tracks from the same three albums (why?) and "The Star Spangled Banner" from Woodstock (worthless since I have the Woodstock cd).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 4cd set called "The Experience Collection" that has the first three Experience albums and a worthless fourth cd that has tracks from the same three albums (why?) and "The Star Spangled Banner" from Woodstock (worthless since I have the Woodstock cd).

Yeah - I have that one too. It's a weird set because it was when MCA owned the rights. Besides the rather worthless "Ultimate Experience" disk, they created new covers for each album (although they did print the original on the reverse side of the booklet). They had extensive liner notes and a set of "collectors stamps" within each booklet, too.

I keep thinking I'm going to dump this one and re-buy the newer Eddie Kramer remasters someday.

... someday.

Well, I don't own it *yet* but knowing the material I would have to say that the Black Sabbath box will be my favorite (although a little miffed that another disc of unreleased recordings/demos weren't included). However they made up for it with a bonus DVD.

Of the box sets I already own, the Steely Dan box is easily my favorite....followed closely by the Led Zeppelin box (the big one with all the original albums).

That Hendrix box is a must have as well!

How is the remastering on the Steely Dan box?  Showing its age or holding up?

The remastering is excellent, IMHO.

And I care about that kind of stuff.

But then again, Steely Dan is also a bunch of perfectionists in the studio, so the original material is/was already damn good.

I like the remastering as much as I did when I bought the box and have never seen any reason to update or even look for alternatives (I actually don't think there are any, safe for any SACD remasters, which might exist).

Cheers!

P.S.: I bought mine when it came out. Since then, it has been re-packaged in some slimline box ... don't know if anything changed in the remastering department, although I doubt it very much.

Edited by deus62

The Jimi Hendrix Experience box set.

This is really a well put together box set for the Hendrix fanatic. . . it presents a lot of music officially for the first time, the sound is excellent, the notes are good with photos never before seen.  In all important ways this was carefully put together.

I have the vinyl edition and it's my only rock box set, therefore my favorite. :)

I think all the stuff his estate has put out has been of the highest quality.

Wolff, do you know if the LPs are from analogue masters? All I can find on them is that the LPs are on 180 gram vinyl, but nothing said about the mastering. Do they address that aspect in the box set?

Another favorite is the Roxy Music box, 'The Thrill Of It All'. I loved them in the '70's and, to me at least, the music still sounds as good as anything from that period. The 4 Cd's cover most of the essential stuff and the colorful, glitzy booklet really captues the essence of the band with a lot of great photos.

I also really like the Jimi Hendrix Experience box.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Eric Clapton 'Crossroads' box. As far as I remember, this was the first rock box set and remains the biggest selling one. Showing its age by now I guess.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience box set.

Wolff, do you know if the LPs are from analogue masters?  All I can find on them is that the LPs are on 180 gram vinyl, but nothing said about the mastering.  Do they address that aspect in the box set?

Does not say. And there is no mention anywhere on the other four Experience Hendrix LP's I have.

There is this from their site:

Over 4 hours of music on 4 CDs and 8LPs, compiled and digitally remastered by original Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer, and accompanied by a full-color, 80-page book filled with rare....

Edited by wolff

Are Walter Becker and Donald Fagen "Rock"?

If not then I can't post on this thread. I only have two boxed sets that could conceivably be appropriate for this thread, and the other one I refuse to mention, because a) I don't consider much of it rock, and b) it's music I probably should have left in my memory... Let's just say I like him better without Art and leave it at that! ;)

In all honesty, I don't like Rock boxed sets. I grew up with the albums, and the boxed sets (and expanded releases) just don't sound right to me. As I didn't grow up with jazz, boxed sets are fine there.

The Tom Petty box that was mentioned earlier is a pretty good set - 6 discs, three discs of hits & album tracks, and three of which were previously unreleased material (!).

A couple of others that aren't too shabby:

Los Lobos - El Cancionero: Mas Y Mas - includes hits, great album tracks, live stuff, unreleased stuff, and side projects. A great summary.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - A nice 3 disc set including mostly previously unreleased stuff, and including a DVD from the Austin City Limits show.

Genesis - Archives, Vol 1 - nothing on here has been released before, includes a live Lamb show, other live stuff, and alot of 60's era demos. NOT to be confused with Archives Vol 2, which is fluffier stuff from the Genesis pop era.

A couple of other King Crimson boxes that I enjoy are Heavy ConstruKction (a 3 disc live set, don't know if this qualifies as a box or just a large live recording), and the ProjeKcts box.

Are Walter Becker and Donald Fagen "Rock"?

If not then I can't post on this thread. I only have two boxed sets that could conceivably be appropriate for this thread, and the other one I refuse to mention, because a) I don't consider much of it rock, and b) it's music I probably should have left in my memory... Let's just say I like him better without Art and leave it at that! ;)

In all honesty, I don't like Rock boxed sets. I grew up with the albums, and the boxed sets (and expanded releases) just don't sound right to me. As I didn't grow up with jazz, boxed sets are fine there.

Well, I have to disagree a bit here.

I also grew up with the albums ... but today I catch myself buying some of these lavish remasters not only for memories' sake, but also because of the packaging, the notes, the extra material, the remastering etc. Some albums I loved as a teenager I tried to get in the best possible CD version, although, much unlike in jazz, that is often a difficult thing. In my opinion, there are a lot more beautiful Jazz reissues than there are Rock ones.

You may laugh (and I don't care, HA!), but "Frampton Comes Alive" is still one of my fave albums outside of my Jazz collection. Mind you, I have lots of others that fit that category of must-have reissues, but some just have that sentimental value attached ... like the Frampton, some Marley, the Doobies, Eagles, some older Judas Priest recordings, early Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, etc., etc. etc.

The "Frampton Comes Alive" Universal Deluxe Edition is simply a good example of an excellent reissue that I wanted to have to match the fun I had with that album and at the time it came out.

And, I am a sucker for these cardboard fold-out thingies, glossy photos, good liner notes, etc. Nothing like having that to look at while the music is spinnin' and a good vintage French red wine is sloshing seductively in a monstrous balloon glas.

Cheers!

I agree that rock is not the right content for huge anthology sets, unless we are talking a lot of unreleased stuff, live curios, etc. There are SO FEW rock bands that can sustain two+ hours of straight through listening, in my snotty opinion.

That was part of the reason I moved on to jazz. And that's why I love the Dylan series and the Beatles Anthology.

Dont be coy Jazzmoose, part of the appeal of this thread is an insight into the misspent youths of posters, and your addmission is well, revealing of something! :P

I have to agree with you. At least it's true from my experience. Alas, the sweet bird of youth has indeed flown. Nevertheless, I'm on my 3rd adolescence :rolleyes: