pat martino's "east"

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

maybe it is me but this is the WORST sounding album i have heard from the 60's and beyond from prestige. not only does the piano sound like it was recorded in the well where bonham recorded his drums for "when the levee breaks", but the piano also sounds like it is horribly out of tune. why didn't anyone correct these issues? how did no one notice this during the recording? what is the deal here? don schlitten is the producer and i think he generally kept his game tighter than this.

The piano tuning is a problem on a whole host of Prestiges from this vintage. There's the same problem on one of the Cedar Waltons ('Cedar', I think) and at least one other of the Martinos ('Strings'). Adds a certain period charm.. B-)

Good excuse for me to bring out the vinyl of 'East' this weekend. I like all of the Martinos of this vintage. At least the piano tuning wasn't an issue on 'El Hombre', thank goodness..

The piano tuning is a problem on a whole host of Prestiges from this vintage.

Not only the piano sound: basses sounded thin, drums tinny, with the kickdrum almost inaudible, a trademark Schlitten unfortunately carried along to many Muse recordings - courtesy of his studio/engineer preferences.

Strange, 'cause Paul Goodman at the RCA studios was capable of much better sound. Must have been Don Schlitten"s taste.

Edited by mikeweil

Just listening to the CD of Eddie Jefferson's 'Body and Soul' and its the same decrepid out-of-tune piano from September 1968 courtesy of Mr Schlitten. Funnily enough though, I don't think this would be quite the same hell yeah groovin' CD if Barry Harris was playing an in tune piano ! ^_^

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...

maybe it is me but this is the WORST sounding album i have heard from the 60's and beyond from prestige.  not only does the piano sound like it was recorded in the well where bonham recorded his drums for "when the levee breaks", but the piano also sounds like it is horribly out of tune.  why didn't anyone correct these issues?  how did no one notice this during the recording?  what is the deal here?  don schlitten is the producer and i think he generally kept his game tighter than this.

I know of no pianist who would accept playing in front of an audience, not to mention recording, a piano out of tune...talk about responsability : everyone is to be blamed here, the producer, the engineer, the studio manager and the player. :tdown:alien::rmad:

the Japanese K2 remastered version doesn't sound that bad at all. The've even managed to tune the piano a little better :P .

Seriously it does sound OK but it maybe transfered from an LP (I hear some clicks which could be static on the tape as well). The piano doesn't sound distant at all.

Cheers,

Reinier

I know of no pianist who would accept playing in front of an audience, not to mention recording, a piano out of tune...

Are you serious?

No kidding....Having organized hundreds of recitals, concerts and recording sessions, I confirm the quality of the piano, including the tuning/voicing of the instruments has always been a major issue.

I could tell you horrendous stories about concerts cancelled 15 minutes after the piano was tried, while the audience was waiting at the entrance doors, recording sessions delayed for days until extended work was done over the Steinway to suit the exact requirements of the player.

Right now, I do not start a session without a piano technician at hand for the whole length of the job : that means the guy spends most of his time reading a book or magazines but he's there whenever needed, that is about once every couple of hours.An out of tune grand (or other)simply does not do the job : why spend time and money sweating at it? :(

Makes no difference to me I'm referring to classical music jobs : you would'nt mean jazz piano players are less concerned with their instrument, are they...? :w

No, just that in some of the clubs in South Dallas, you either played what was in the house or you didn't get paid, and sometimes you needed the money in order to be able to eat. I think Red Garland needed to eat.

Either the rest of the world's got it better, or else jazz players don't play joints anymore. Or maybe they don't need the work. I don't get out much these days, so I'll let you tell me which it is.