to tip or not to tip the barber

7/4

$10 hair cut, do you tip and how much?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was once working on the estate of a man who had passed away and his surviving spouse, while I was at her house, gave me a beautiful leather jacket her husband had bought ages ago but never wore. (I rode a motorcycle at the time and the jacket was perfect for that.)

Anyone else ever get a gift from a grateful client? (Would this count as a tip?)

Edited by Chaney

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been going to the same guy for about 30 years. He's kind of become a friend. He owns the shop and for years I didn't tip. The guys ahead of me ALL started tipping him....under my breath I'm swearing and calling them jerkoffs - but eventually I was shamed into it. AHHHH ....he's a good guy...he puts out a couple bottles of booze at Christmas and we can help ourselves. He likes a little taste now and then so the past few years the bottles have been out until mid-July. I'm going tomorrow and they may still be there. It's Saturday morning then...a little hair of the dog.

He charges $13.00 and I've been giving him $15.00. He got me a gig once with another of his customers who was a musician. (BTW I used to run into Lou Mecca at this shop regularly. We would catch up with each other).

He probably makes more at this shop than I do (cash business) - I know he drives a nicer car. He's getting old and has bad sciatica and is having trouble standing up. He takes breaks because his legs hurt and the waiting time is getting to be a drag. About 2 haircuts ago I went to another barber because he was so crowded everytime I attempted to get a haircut. When I came in the shop it was like a Seinfeld routine...." HEYYY...where were you...you went to another barber????".

Edited by Harold_Z

neat little slots for the tip money on the bar, so you can decide anonymnously how much you give to whom.

This is how they do it at the salon I go to.

You guys have it so easy (except for J. Larsen)!

I've followed one woman around to different salons for 12 years -- she's getting very high-priced but she's incredibly sweet and I totally trust her -- plus she gives me a "longtime client" discount -- but she's kind of stratospheric -- so even with the discount it's at least $100 (a woman would be paying Vidal Sassoon $250 or $300 EASY, these days). So I fold $20 into a little envelope for Lisa, plus $5 for whoever washed my hair, plus $1 for the coat check woman... If Lisa has someone else blow-dry, I give that person $5 and Lisa gets $15...

This is a major reason I wear my hair long! Don't need to return too frequently!

neat little slots for the tip money on the bar, so you can decide anonymnously how much you give to whom.

This is how they do it at the salon I go to.

You guys have it so easy (except for J. Larsen)!

(...)

:unsure:

Do men (except for J. 'Big Hair' Larson) have it so easy or do women make it unnecesarily difficult for themselves?

after.jpg

karissa1.jpg

:ph34r:

I've followed one woman around to different salons for 12 years -- she's getting very high-priced but she's incredibly sweet and I totally trust her -- plus she gives me a "longtime client" discount -- but she's kind of stratospheric -- so even with the discount it's at least $100 (a woman would be paying Vidal Sassoon $250 or $300 EASY, these days). So I fold $20 into a little envelope for Lisa, plus $5 for whoever washed my hair, plus $1 for the coat check woman... If Lisa has someone else blow-dry, I give that person $5 and Lisa gets $15...

Having shopped around in the recent past, the cheapest haircut that you can get at the Vidal Sasoon on 5th ave it $100. For a master stylist it starts at $150-$200, plus whatever special thing you're getting done.

I really don't mind paying what I pay. Thanks to my recent work/school arangement I can afford it, and I don't mind shelling out for services if they're done well. Plus I was *really* tired of having not had hair longer than a half inch for so long.

One thing that surprises me a little is how many men I see at the place I go. I'd say its close to being a 50/50 mix. Of course, I am in Manhattan...

If my wife's haircuts cost $100 I think I would flip.

Then again, I probably spend that much per month on CDs....

;)

Ok, not anymore... but I used to.

I remember on a long-ago thread guessing it was pretty much a wash between men's CD/car/hobby expenses and women's "appearance" (clothes/shoes/hair etc) budgets. But since I've been the sole breadwinner for many years (college-student son has had part-time jobs over the past 6 years)... well, I get this $100+ haircut once a year MAX, and do the interim upkeep trimming myself... works out better than "Supercuts" every 3 months...

Yeah, that's one thing that's easy to forget--many women get their hair cut a lot less frequently than men, so much so that the costs can sometimes even up. My girlfriend trusts very few people to cut her hair and the result is that she hasn't cut it in at least a year. I think the only place in the States she'll get it cut is some shop in NYC where it costs around $200.

Edited by Big Wheel

• 6 months later...