Anybody buying Brian Wilson's "Smile" cd?

jazzkrow

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in unequivocal agreement with Mr. Clagwell. That's a great album (cracked, yes, but neverhteless great), and as I remember it, hugely but silently influential.

In the early days of the punk/new wave "breakout", I took a "sabbatical" from jazz and explored the exciting new rock music that was being produced. That coincided with a self-taught/inflicted study of various pop production techniques, and that was when I got my Brain Wilson jones (NOT my Brain Jones) underway.

I remember when LOVE YOU came out. Bought it the first day, and was TOTALLY fascinated but the hard but ultra-sparse drumming and the in-your-face synth riffs taking the place of guitarage. This was DIFFERENT! All the punk/new wave bands were relying on guitars and/or Farfisas. NOBODY was making pop music that sounded like this.

But in the upcoming months, all that would change. Seemed like all of a sudden, a LOT of punk/new wave bands were going for that drum sound and that usage of synths.

The album might have sold for squat, and it might have made Brian a laughingstock (again) in the eyes of a lot of the mainstream, but the evidence spoke for itself - somebody was listening.

The box set entitled "Good Vibrations contains 11 tracks from the Smile sessions. Can one make a decent version of Smile from them? Also that box set has a long track from the Good Vibrations sessions that contain different lyrics than those ultimately used. Are they by Van Dyke Parks?

In the early days of the punk/new wave "breakout", I took a "sabbatical" from jazz and explored the exciting new rock music that was being produced. That coincided with a self-taught/inflicted study of various pop production techniques, and that was when I got my Brain Wilson jones (NOT my Brain Jones) underway.

It's funny, I have a similar history. Pretty much a jazz-head all through high school until about '76 when I started to hear Ramones, Nick Lowe, XTC, dB's Elvic C, Squeeze and others. Possibly part of it was that this was music I could more easily play considering my instrumental chops at the time, and music that relied more on production- I was then messing around with a 4-track TEAC tape recorder.

I got back to jazz in the early 80s.

I think my Brian Wilson ephinan-ical moment was when my younger sister was playing her copy of Endless Summer (which I was too "cool" for), and the stereo mix of "Dont Worry Baby" came on. I loved it- the melody, the minimalistic guitar solo, the intake of breath and gorgeous harmonies that directly follow the minimalistic guitar solo, and most of all the feeling of melancholy that pervaded what was, after all, kind of a silly song about a car race. After that, I was hooked.

I listened to the tracks on the Nonsuch site, and I've gotta say...I'm not too favorably impressed. And this is from someone who LOVES "Pet Sounds." The versions of "Heroes and Villians" and "Good Vibrations" are kind of...well...embarassing next to the Beach Boys versions (can you imagine "Good Vibrations" without CARL WILSON?). I even prefer the "Smiley Smile" versions of "Vegetables" and "Wind Chimes." I'd rather have had the original unfinished tracks...

I even prefer the "Smiley Smile" versions of "Vegetables" and "Wind Chimes." I'd rather have had the original unfinished tracks...

Those unfinished(?) versions are on the GV box, and on "Vegetables", eh, I could go eithr way. But tell you what - the SMILEY SMILE version of "Wind Chimes" is a MONSTER! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

I think that SMILEY SMILE gets a bad rap, actually. Yeah, it was a "settling" or a "salvage job" in some ways, but still...

Well, like you were saying about The Beach Boys Love You, it's unique. Nothing else sounds like it, really, and besides the reworked Smile tracks it has "Little Pad" and "Fall Breaks and Back to Winter", which are two favorites of mine. In other words, I like it a lot.

"Fall Breaks..." has quite a musical resemblence to the "Mrs O'Leary's Cow" part of Smile.

I am in unequivocal agreement with Mr. Clagwell. That's a great album (cracked, yes, but neverhteless great), and as I remember it, hugely but silently influential.

I remember when LOVE YOU came out. Bought it the first day, and was TOTALLY fascinated but the hard but ultra-sparse drumming and the in-your-face synth riffs taking the place of guitarage. This was DIFFERENT! All the punk/new wave bands were relying on guitars and/or Farfisas. NOBODY was making pop music that sounded like this.

But in the upcoming months, all that would change. Seemed like all of a sudden, a LOT of punk/new wave bands were going for that drum sound and that usage of synths.

The album might have sold for squat, and it might have made Brian a laughingstock (again) in the eyes of a lot of the mainstream, but the evidence spoke for itself - somebody was listening.

Interesting.

All I can say is it has some of my favorite Beach Boys songs on it, as well as some of the most eccentric ("Johnny Carson" for instance.)

PS---Check out "The Tear-drop Awards" sketch from the 4th season of Mr. Show, particularly the song "Mouthful of Sores"---sound familiar?

Edited by BruceH

I think that SMILEY SMILE gets a bad rap, actually. Yeah, it was a "settling" or a "salvage job" in some ways, but still...

I agree completely. I happen to be a big "Smiley Smile" fan. The only reason it ever got a bad rap in the first place was that it 1) wasn't "Smile," and 2) was a disappointing follow-up to "Pet Sounds." But taken on its own merits, "Smiley Smile" is a lot of fun. It's one of the most eccentric albums released by a major band. Is it a masterpiece? No, but it's got it's own quiet brilliance.

Well hey - WILD HONEY is damn near a perfect record too. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that, personal problems aside, the whole "small" period from SMILEY SMILE through the majority of 20/20 is a very rewarding period if you're not looking for hits or the hit mentality. Just nice, intimate, warm (if often flakey), small pop. Works for me better that most "larger" stuff, actually.

I'd have to say that Wild Honey is my least favorite of the Smiley Smile- 20/20 stretch of albums, maybe because of the attempt at "soulful" vocals or the overuse of that flanged-out piano sound. Of course any album with Aren't You Glad, Let the Wind Blow, & Darlin' is still a pretty good album.

I think if I had to pick a favorite of that group it would be Friends- almost everything on that is great. I've always thought that Transcendental Meditation is an extremely funny example of Brian's humor.

Sunflower is kind of a mixed bag for me -from the the sublime This Whole World to that ridiculous Al Jardine bird song. And Surf's Up, which tends to get looked on as some kind of "comeback" album is pretty dismal- not much there except the title song, 'Til I Die, and maybe Feel Flows. Any album with that stupid feet song and Student Demonstration Time is a pretty bad album overall.

Of course that's all the result of less and less Brian and more and more Mike Al & Bruce.

Edited by Hoyt Clagwell

I think if I had to pick a favorite of that group it would be Friends- almost everything on that is great. I've always thought that Transcendental Meditation is an extremely funny example of Brian's humor.

Hey - you also got "Busy Doin' Nothin'" on there too, and if that one ain't everything and more, then nothing is!

Guest ariceffron

THE BEACH BOYS IN THE EARLY 60S WERE THE CULMINATION OF ALL HARMONIZING VOCAL GROUPS OF THE 5 PRECEEDING DECADES- THE ARE BY FAR THE GREATEST VOCAL BAND EVER, AND BANDS LIKE THE BEATLES AND YES COULDNT HAVE DONE WHAT THEY DID WITHOUT THEM. EVEN INTO THE LATE 60S AND 70S THEIR RECORDS WERE GOOD.