rachelle ferrell?

Man with the Golden Arm

I just happened upon a digital jukebox from Giant Step "Soul Sensations" that features a cut by Rachelle Ferrell titled "Nothing in the Middle" from her upcoming disc. I recall hearing of her from some BN or Capitol stuff, but please go and check out the cut HERE (i think you must just click the 'listen to jukebox' and it will load up to the full song in a list of three playables). Nine minutes of singing her assoff!!! Sure she get's a little Rippertony at times, but it's a goodun. :tup The notes prop her up w/ Donny Hathaway here.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Ah! so not this jukebox jukebox.gif, that one is the same, but just confusing. It's on a copulation disk I see.

actually second song, "Nothing in the Middle"

heard some of her stuff way back dunno when and found more tricks than feeling then. must say this sounds much more convincing than my faint memories, though it's still somewhat in the technical appreciation department. 't Is in the recording too I guess.

WTF is she doing going all Pharoah on us around the 4:25 mark?! woa...

maybe it was my mood. i listened again and boy she is a warbowling somethin' fierce. i still think she's got a great voice under there and when everyone here is listening to Karen Anne and Patricia Barber a well heeled biyatch sounds good.

:rsmile:

...guess Screamin Jay Hawkins is on the mark for todays consitution.

I am a big fan of Ferrell. My introduction to her music was on the Capitol release that was produced by George Duke. I have not heard her more "jazzy" Blue Note recording. I also heard her third recording from a couple of years ago that showed a lot of maturity after several years off the scene due to disputes with her producers (not Duke). I love her voice and having seen her live, think she is a terrific performance. Actually, her duet with Will Downing from the Capitol release is the song my wife and I used for our first dance when we were married ten short years ago. If Ferrell has something new coming out, I am buying.

I don't care for her singing. Watching her sing live is painful. She engages in gross affectations with her mouth that it is a distraction to watch. Her delivery is so dramatic and overstylized that it just doesn't project any feeling. People seem to dig her but she leaves me very cold. There aren't a lot of younger singers out there that I connect with, which is disappointing. Some of the younger singers I've caught glimpese of on BET on Jazz seem to have some sloppy habits, like not breathing correctly, and singing enough off key to be annoying.

• 2 years later...