Complete Capitol Recordings Krupa/James

wesbed

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's already tagged "last chance"... they wrote (upon my request) that they think it should be around for at least two weeks. Hell, why do they move so fast? Those sets used to be "running low" for a much longer time earlier!

I think it's the Internet & website; fans find out much more quickly these days, and places like this only fan the flames. For which I'm grateful!

It's already tagged "last chance"... they wrote (upon my request) that they think it should be around for at least two weeks. Hell, why do they move so fast? Those sets used to be "running low" for a much longer time earlier!

I think it's the Internet & website; fans find out much more quickly these days, and places like this only fan the flames. For which I'm grateful!

May be, but the bad thing is I will have to spend winter without food and clothes, if this continues...

When I first received the Krupa/James box I played a bit of the Krupa then placed the box on my shelf to enjoy the latest batch of RVGs instead. Initially, the Krupa/James box seemed a mish-mash of odd material. This is not meant to be confused with 'bad' material, mind you.

In the last few days I've begun to play more of the Krupa/James box. I'm beginning to enjoy the hell out of the Harry James sets. The entire box is a good collection of instrumentals and vocals. Many of the vocal numbers sound quite nice to my ears.

As usual, with Malcolm Addey involved, I believe the Krupa material sounds as good as it can. At the same time, Ron McMaster has done a very good job with the Harry James material. In my mind, the Harry James material should sound better than the Gene Krupa material, by default, because the Harry James material is more recent. Still, McMaster has done some nice work with the Harry James sessions.

wesbed - a question I hate to ask but for someone who is currently 24/7 doing a tightrope on the fence is it worth pressing the button on this one? I like the Krupa material which has arrangements by Mulligan but have never heard the James.

Or should I just save my money and put it aside for the Jazztet Concert Band? .. B-)

Edited by sidewinder

wesbed - a question I hate to ask but for someone who is currently 24/7 doing a tightrope on the fence is it worth pressing the button on this one? I like the Krupa material which has arrangements by Mulligan but have never heard the James.

Or should I just save my money and put it aside for the Jazztet Concert Band?

Concerning art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's so difficult to judge whether a certain work of art, music in this case, is worth having. For me, all the Mosaic boxes offer something of value. However, some Mosaic sets do offer more of value than others.

The Krupa/James box is worth having. But, is it something you just gotta have? Probably not. I enjoy the history of the music. I like knowing what came before bebop. I like learning who the players were, looking at the pictures, etcetera.

If you like the pre-bop sound, the Krupa/James is good. One evening it was all I wanted to listen to. I got lost in the music and had a hell of a good time going back in time with the boys in the bands. Much thanks to Harry and Gene.

If I were on the fence, concerned about the cost, concerned about desiring other Mosaic sets... I'd skip the Krupa/James box and go with your suggestions regarding the Mulligan Concert Band or the Jazztet Mosaics.

If money isn't a question, I recommend the Krupa/James. It's been a nice addition to my jazz collection. I've learned and enjoyed much about two jazz icons I've not been familiar with.

while i am waiting for my mosaic, i've been listening to marcus's.

quite enjoyable!! B-)

now here's my question:

Disc 7 song 14 titled "willow weep for me" liner notes say 3:08

the cd says willow weep for me, but it is NOT this song and plays 5:12!!!

the next song "moten swing" IS willow weep for me. the rest of the songs are out of sequence (i. e. conflict between the cd and the liner notes and booklet).

apparantly song # 8 got moved to the end (#19) on the cd, but the liner notes & booklet state otherwise.

has this been reported to mosaic?

:ph34r: