Tyrone Washington, best tunes by/with, bio info 2?

Rooster_Ties

Hi everybody.

Ran into a friend of mine tonight here in KC, who twice a week has a jazz radio-show on a community FM station. He's invited me to come on his show, this Tuesday afternoon, and do the hour with him that he normally devotes to a single artist. He's asked me to bring in recordings for one (or two, more likely) interesting, lesser-known jazz artists -- to fill his first hour on Tuesday.

I'm pretty sure that Tyrone Washington would be a great choice (and my first choice), and I'm still mulling over the 2nd choice (and am open to suggestions), to fill out the 2nd half of the hour. (And FYI, I think I'm going to save Andrew Hill for some other time -- and see if Gerald will invite me back to do a full hour on Andrew Hill, next time.)

Anyway, what are your favorite tunes with and/or by Tyrone Washington. I'm asking for suggestions of tunes both from his own sessions (as a leader), and also anything he was a sideman on. And, discographically speaking, besides everything he recorded for Blue Note (which I can look-up in my BN discography), what all else does Tyrone appear on as a sideman (again, besides his BN recordings).

Off the top of my head, I know and have his date with Stanley Cowell as a leader, and I have Tyrone's other two non-BN albums as a leader. I will start doing some searches in the morning to refresh my memory about some of the others, but I thought I'd go ahead and start a thread about this now -- since Tuesday will be here before I know it.

Thanks!!!

-- Tom / Rooster T.

PS: Any bio info on Tyrone would be much appreciated, as well as what happened to him. I knew more about him at one time (from some threads on the old BNBB), but those are long gone. Last I remember, he was in New Jersey, working as some sort of nurse, or counselor?? And then he just disappeared, at least from the public scene, round about 1975 or so. (Gosh, I wish I had saved those threads from the BNBB.) Thanks in advance, if anyone has a better memory than I do about all this. Thanks!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

A good interview/article about Woody Shaw can be found HERE, which mentions Tyrone about four times. No real biographical info, but some interesting perspectives, including how Horace Silver felt that Tyrone and/or Woody were taking things 'out' a bit farther than he really wanted (which I've heard from other sources as well).

Yeah, Tolliver was knocking around in the back of my head as maybe a good choice for the 2nd half-hour of the radio-show. (And after covering a tenor player, having a trumpeter would be good for ballance too.) Would also make sense cuz I just hooked up Gerald (the guy with the show), with Tolliver's entire Strata East catalog on CD (or at least all five of the pre-1980 titles).

Helen Sung was great last night. I didn't know the guys she played with, but I probably should have (both local guys): Craig Akin (b) and Matt Kane (d). They did get to do some rehearsal-time in the afternoon, so there were a fair number of her originals, and some obscure covers too (including a Prince tune).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, I was just looking this up anyway -- so I might as well plant the info here, with the beginnings of a quick and dirty sessionography for Tyrone.

From the BN discograhy, 2001 edition, Tyrone Washington appeared on the following BN sessions...

Horace Silver - "The Jody Grind"

Nov. 2nd & Nov. 23rd, 1966

w/ Woody Shaw (tp), Larry Ridley (ba), Roger Humphries (dm), and Nov. 23rd only: James Spaulding (as, fl).

Larry Young - "Contrasts"

Sep. 18th, 1967

w/ Hank White (flh), Herbert Morgan (ts), Eddie Wright (g), Eddie Gladden (dm), Stacey Edwards (cga), and for one tune only: Althea Young (vo).

Tyrone Washington - "Natural Essence"

Dec. 29th, 1967

w/ Woody Shaw (tp), James Spaulding (as, fl), Kenny Barron (p), Reggie Workman (ba), Joe Chambers (dm).

plus two sessions that are (as yet) unreleased -- and are both listed as "rejected" in the 2001 BN discography.

Jackie McLean - unreleased/rejected session (5 tunes recorded)

Jul. 5th, 1968

w/ Woody Shaw (tp), Bobby Hutcherson (vb), Scotty Holt (ba), Norman Connors (dm).

Tyrone Washington - unreleased/rejected session (5 tunes recorded)

Aug. 16th, 1968

w/ Herbie Hancock (p), Herbie Lewis (ba), Jack DeJohnette (dm).

Hey Sangry!!

Can you provide the complete sessionography data for Tyrone's 3rd date as a leader (that LP I sent you a couple years ago). I still have a burn of it - but lard only knows where I put the info for it. (Tune titles too, if you have the time - much appreciated!!)

Also, don't worry about typing up all the liner-notes from Tyrone's 3rd LP, BUT I think I remember that there were a couple important biographical details in there too, about what had become of him by '73 or '74. Can you provide a Q&D recap for me/us?? Thanks a bunch!!!

Also, Sangry, I think you are the only expert (at least around these parts) about probably close to half of Tyrone's entire post-1970 output. For instance, I've never heard the Henry Stadler date(s?) with Tryone, and isn't there a Roswell Rudd thing with Tyrone too?? - his last known recording, if I remember right, circa 1977 or so.

Jim, the floor is yours...

OK, here's the Roswell Rudd LP, which I just found the info for on-line...

Roswell Rudd - "Blown Bone"

Phillips RJ-7490 J

rec NYC 3/26/76 3/27/76

Enrico Rava-tp; Roswell Rudd-tb,mbira,sanza,perc; Kenny Davern-cl,ss; Steve Lacy-ss,perc; Tyrone Washington-ts; Patti Bown-p; Wilbur Little-b; Paul Motian-d Jordan Steckel-bata d; Sheila Jordan-voc

Anybody besides Sangry have this one?? I've never heard it. What a line-up!!

Here's the Heiner Stadler info, for another session with Tyrone that I've never heard before...

Heiner Stadler - "Brains on Fire"

12/01/1973

Reggie Workman Bass

Tyrone Washington Sax (Tenor), Flute

Dee Dee Bridgewater Vocals

Garnett Brown Trombone

Joe Farrell Sax (Tenor)

Joe Chambers Drums

Don Friedman Piano

Jimmy Owens Trumpet

Heiner Stadler Composer, Main Performer

Barre Phillips Bass

Lenny White Drums

(Sorry for the formatting consistancy issues -- I'm just doing some Q&D cut-n-pastes from other sources. We can clean things up into a more consistant format at some later point.)

Rooster, did you try the "wayback machine" to try to capture the old threads from the BNBB? Check out archive.org, maybe that will help.

Afraid I'm due at another appointment shortly. Anybody else wanna give their search engine a try for me??? I just tried a couple crude attemps, and got nowhere. Won't have any more time to look into this until late tonight.

Thanks in advance for any help or further info anyone can provide. Thanks a bunch!!!!!

If I had to pick one Washington piece to start with (both as a composition and a performance), it would be "Yearning for Love" from "Natural Essence," because it's beautifully full of TW's characteristic blend of the cosmic/romantic/soulful on the one hand and the utterly explosive on the other. A potent setting of the piece, too, if indeed the piece can be separated from its setting in this instance -- dig the way Woody Shaw's part pokes out of the coiling ensemble textures at just the right moments (I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw played some conceptual role in this). Whatever, it just about stops my heart every time.

Here's the Stanley Cowell date...

Stanley Cowell -- Brilliant Circles

Olmsted Sound Studios, NYC; September 25, 1969

Stanley Cowell - p; WS - tp, mar; Tyrone Washington - ts, fl, cl, mar; Bobby Hutcherson - vbs; Reggie Workman - b, el b; Joe Chambers - dr.

The Black Lion CD of this sounds really muddy...

Larry,

I know exactly what you mean about Woody's playing on 'Yearning For Love', and I completely agree. That passage really blows me away.

Rooster,

Here's all I know about what happened to Tyrone. Apparently he converted to Islam and became deeply religious - almost to the point of obsession. A musician friend of mine (who will remain nameless) told me that he showed up at Freddie Waits' funeral (1989?) and somehow disrupted the proceedings. My friend thought it was extremely upsetting. I don't know if you should mention this on the air, however, unless you can get some independent confirmation (perhaps from Downbeat).

Based on the blindfold test you dug up, Tyrone had a deep knowledge of the music. His loss to the world of music is truly a shame.

Bertrand.

P.S. I recommend using his composition on Contrasts, 'Tender Feelings'.

Edited by bertrand

Sorry to be late to the party. Stuff happens...

Anyway - the third Tyrone album was DO RIGHT (Blue Labor BL 102). Personnel were Tyrone, Rene McLean, & Clarence Thomas on tenors, altos, & flutes; Billy Nichols - g; Hubert Eaves - p, el p; James "Fish" Benjamin - el b; Idris Muhammed - d; witht he horns doing various percussion & vocals. Recorded 4/17-18/1974. Produced by Heiner Stadler.

Tyrone also appeared on two Stadler albums - BRAINS ON FIRE Vols 1 & 2, on Stadler's Labor Records. Vol 1 has "Heidi & "All Tones". Tyrone is in a quartet w/Stadler on piano, Reggie Workman, & Lenny White. Recorded July/September 1971.

Not sure about Vol. 2, but Stadler's Tomato CD RETROSPECTION has what I believe I've heard is Tyrone's one appearance on the album (I could be wrong about this), "Pointed". Along w/Tyrone & Stadler are Jimmy Owens, GArnett Brown, Reggie Workman, and Brian Brake. Recorded 1973.

I sent Mr. Stadler an email a while back inquiring about Washington, and he replied that Tyrone just sort of "disappeared" to practice his religion. He also said that he's heard rumors of Tyrone still being around in NYC, somewhere. The line about him becoming a social worker was something that I read somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where. It was a long time ago.

The Stadler Tomato CD has been reissued on his own reactivated Labor, and is available directly from him: http://www.laborrecords.com/index.htm I highly recommend it, and stadler's other works as well. I would also not hesitate to contact him directly ( hstadler@laborrecords.com as listed on his website)with any SERIOUS inquiries about his association w/Washington, as well as his other endeavors. He is a most interesting musician, producer, and composer. Highly & unjustly overlooked, imo.

That's all I have, and again, sorry to be so late.

Thanks for all the info, everybody!!!

Hey Jim (Sangry) --- can you double-check the LP notes of "Do Right" again, and see if there isn't some reference to him being a Social Worker?? I could have sworn that's where I read it (or a "nurse" of some type). There were several paragraphs of text (at least 200, maybe 300 words total), on the "Do Right" jacket. I had them typed up at one time (and posted to the BNBB), but the BNBB's long gone, and my hard-drive done kicked the bucket about a year ago too.

Thanks Jim!!

• 1 year later...

Tyrone also appeared on two Stadler albums - BRAINS ON FIRE Vols 1 & 2, on Stadler's Labor Records. Vol 1 has "Heidi & "All Tones". Tyrone is in a quartet w/Stadler on piano, Reggie Workman, & Lenny White. Recorded July/September 1971.

Not sure about Vol. 2, but Stadler's Tomato CD RETROSPECTION has what I believe I've heard is Tyrone's one appearance on the album (I could be wrong about this), "Pointed". Along w/Tyrone & Stadler are Jimmy Owens, GArnett Brown, Reggie Workman, and Brian Brake. Recorded 1973.

The RETROSPECTION CD has neither Heide or All Tones from BRAINS ON FIRE VOLUME 1 . However , it does have the third track from that album , namely , The Fugue # 2 . The CD has two of the three tracks from BRAINS ON FIRE VOLUME 2 , namely , Love in the Middle of the Air which is a Dee Dee Bridgewater feature , and Pointed . The CD does not have the third track from BRAINS ON FIRE VOLUME 2 which is T.C.S. . Several sources ( including Lord ) list Tyrone as playing tenor and flute on T.C.S. . Since Love in the Middle of the Air is approximately sixteen minutes in length , and Pointed is around six minutes , I assume T.C.S. is a fairly lengthy track . While Love... and Pointed were recorded in 1973 , T.C.S. dates from 1971 .

I'm hoping that somebody on this board has BRAINS ON FIRE VOLUME 2 and can verify that Tyrone does indeed play on T.C.S. .

Those curious about this music can get a taste at this page , which has a complete .ram version of Pointed ( scroll down the page to Heiner Stadler ) . Stadler's playing has a whiff of 50's Cecil perhaps , but there is nothing here to frighten the horses .

Since Tyrone's recorded legacy is so scant it would be a pity if the three tracks noted above remain orphaned in the digital age .

Here are the original Lp covers of this music :

HeinerStadlerBrainsonFireVolume1.jpgHeinerStadlerBrainsonFire.jpg

And here is an alternate issue of Volume 1 put out by the Musical Heritage Society :

HeinerStadlerBrainsonFireMHS1780.jpg

Edit to replace broken image links

Edited by Chas

• 6 months later...

The RETROSPECTION CD has neither Heide or All Tones from BRAINS ON FIRE VOLUME 1 . However , it does have the third track from that album , namely , The Fugue # 2 . The CD has two of the three tracks from BRAINS ON FIRE VOLUME 2 , namely , Love in the Middle of the Air which is a Dee Dee Bridgewater feature , and Pointed . The CD does not have the third track from BRAINS ON FIRE VOLUME 2 which is T.C.S. . Several sources ( including Lord ) list Tyrone as playing tenor and flute on T.C.S. . Since Love in the Middle of the Air is approximately sixteen minutes in length , and Pointed is around six minutes , I assume T.C.S. is a fairly lengthy track . While Love... and Pointed were recorded in 1973 , T.C.S. dates from 1971 .

I'm hoping that somebody on this board has BRAINS ON FIRE VOLUME 2 and can verify that Tyrone does indeed play on T.C.S. .

Those curious about this music can get a taste at this page , which has a complete .ram version of Pointed ( scroll down the page to Heiner Stadler ) . Stadler's playing has a whiff of 50's Cecil perhaps , but there is nothing here to frighten the horses .

Since Tyrone's recorded legacy is so scant it would be a pity if the three tracks noted above remain orphaned in the digital age .

Here are the original Lp covers of this music :

And here is an alternate issue of Volume 1 put out by the Musical Heritage Society :

i have and enjoy very much his 'retrospection'.

Guest akanalog

i saw a stadler disc in the used store-had a trio with charles mcghee, richard davis maybe on bass and brian brake on drums and then it had more recent duets with marilyn crispell and reggie workman. looked interesting, but from the photography on the front stadler looked like an overserious dweeb in a beret.

some of his stuff looks interesting-i think lenny white is also on something.

but i am confused-so the good stuff is split up chronoligically and session-wise strangely and can't all be found in one place if at all?