BFT # 18 - Disc 2

mikeweil

VERY breifly (sorry...)

TRACK ONE - Moody's great mid-50s group. Moody was (and is) one hip muthafukker.

TRACK TWO - (The) Ray (Charles) w/Fathead on Atlantic. The sonics give all that away almost immediately. Quincy quotes himself in the intro.

TRACK THREE - Not sure. It's got that "swing to bop" in-between thing to it. Maybe some early Leo Parker? It's got his bop/swing/honker thing to it.

TRACK FOUR - Goodman? Auld? Teddy? Interesting chromatic thing in the changes. Don't know.

TRACK FIVE - Ellingtonia. Might be Ivie. Ah, found it: http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dr...c24201dw7e0.jpg Not Ivie! Would have never guessed her! Couldn't miss Rabbit, though.

TRACK SIX - Sonny Stitt w/Tiny Bradshaw! :g:g:g Nah, just kidding. If you don't already know what this is, and don't figure it out when the alto comes in, uh...never mind! It's always amazed me how when he comes in, he carries the beat of the entire freakin' band right along with them, makes them swing HIS way, every last one of them. Incredible.

TRACK SEVEN - Machito? Tito? How high indeed! Much coolness.

TRACK EIGHT - AAAARGH! I have this record, can NOT remember it? Fats & ???Too tired to think (or listen too closely). Maybe after the nap...

TRACK NINE - Don't know, but it's cool. Almost sounds like very early Miles on tpt, but one thing was too slick. Ernie Henry?

TRACK TEN - O.P. on cello, right? Beautiful.

Track ELEVEN - Hank. DUH! :g

TRACK 12 - Bags w/???? Mr. Haney? Cool tune!

TRACK 13 - Ahmad Jamal w/Crawford & Crosby? Another cool tune.

TRACK 14 - Interesting mix re: the piano... I'll remember eventually...Don't like the block chord thing but like the rhythms he's using w/the, so I don't think it's a "pure" jazz pianist. Or if it is, it's one whose "regualr"jazz might not have been this interesting. But who knows? A few hours ago, I'd have teracked it down, but now all I can do is say that I dug it.

TRACK 15 - How many songs does this thing HAVE? Cool changes on the head. Recognize all these players, I think, but again, can't call them, which is killing me. Everybody's in the same pocket, that's for sure. Wild guess - a highly subdued Oscar Peterson group. Too wild a guess...

TRACK 16 - Louis Jordan"

TRACK 17 - "I cover the waterfront" Cool reharm, foofoo arrangement. Too bad. Early Shearing?

TRACK 18 - VIOLINS! LOTS OF VIOLINS! Again, a very nice pocket.

TRACK 19 - What is this, all 45s and 78s? AAARGH! Sounds like a Hodges band w/Al Sears on tenor.

TRACK 20 - Otis Rush on Cobra? Yeah, taht's what this is. SOME things you can't forget no matter how zoned out you are. Hellyeah.

Track 21 - Tjader? Sounds good to me. MUCH more "latin" than "jazz", and that's fine w/me. If you don't/can't/won't get into the concept of drums as melody and mmelody as drums, leave this stuff alone. Otherwise, c'mon in, the water's fine!

22 - Started to say Ben, but it got to sounding like Lucky in spots. LOTS of spots. I'm down w/it no matter.

23 - King Pleasure.

I'm gone!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So maybe 13 is Vince Guaraldi - he wrote the tune, I believe.

I finally got around to going back to read this thread again, and noticed tooter's posts (pre-Big Al :P ) concerning track 13. No, tooter didn't quite "nail it", but a tip o' the hat nonetheless!

I'm still moderately confused... is "Ginza samba" the same as "Ginza"? Did Guaraldi write it? The closest thing in my collection is "on the ginza" from Blakey's UGETSU, so I ain't got it. Could have Googled, but I'd rather request the info here, thankyouverymuch.

Jim, I considered Ellis on track 15 also. "A subdued Oscar Peterson group"... crossed my mind as well. Could OP have managed to subdue himself to that extent? Anybody else hear that Basie influence in the pianist's left hand? Maybe that's too little to go on anyway. I've never cared much for Mundell, and thus I'm relatively ig'nunt about his sound. I've probably missed quite a bit of his work, including the vintage stuff. Russell Malone? I dunno... he'd also have to seriously subdue himself to pull off one like this, methinks...

I'm still moderately confused... is "Ginza samba" the same as "Ginza"?  Did Guaraldi write it?

Yes, it is the same tune, written by Guaraldi. "Ginza" by the Ron Crotty Trio was the first version, he re-recorded the tune as "Ginza Samba" ('cause the samba beat was added during the head) on that famous session by Cal Tjader & Stan Getz that we all have.

Can you find some peace now? ^_^

As far as track 15 is concerned, you're thinking in the wrong direction.

To make it a trifle easier: All tracks on disc 2 were recorded in the 1940's or 1950's.

Edited by mikeweil

Boy, Mike, there sure is a complete turnaround on Disc II.  So, so much music to digest ... this seems like a well planned stream of consciousness set.  A maniacal late-nite jockey tossing so much at you that you can't turn the dial.

You got it, buddy! :tup

Looks like I had a theme without (consciously) knowing it!

Edited by mikeweil

TRACK SIX - Sonny Stitt w/Tiny Bradshaw! :g:g:g Nah, just kidding. If you don't already know what this is, and don't figure it out when the alto comes in, uh...never mind!

oooo! cheap shot at the uninitiated! having a members only party, eh? <_<:g

It's always amazed me how when he comes in, he carries the beat of the entire freakin' band right along with them, makes them swing HIS way, every last one of them. Incredible.

Sorry, but I really don't hear that happening, and trust me, I listened to this track a whole lot 'cause I was pretty sure it was early Bird, but not quite. Not to say that it isn't a great alto break, it is. But (to me) it does not have the in the face kapow quality that made the Bird the greatest of them all. Knowing the facts, sure I can hear more of it all happening. Seeing all the replies here and many if not most missing out on this one, I fear there may be some hindsight colouration of the facts here.

Us spoiled & jaded young folks is to blame for all of this for sure.

that famous session by Cal Tjader & Stan Getz that we all have.

Or... "had". <_<

As far as track 15 is concerned, you're thinking in the wrong direction.

To make it a trifle easier: All tracks on disc 2 were recorded in the 1940's or 1950's.

Well... :unsure: ... that would eliminate Malone, but not necessarily Ellis and Lowe... (although I think maybe you just did...? :ph34r: ) (thank you :g ).

Haven´t got enough time to spin this disc more than twice, but enough to say OOOH! Lots of good stuff, really great stuff! I think it´s my favorite BFT disc so far... it´s even better than BFT#13... :g

The music in many tracks sounds familiar to me. So, when I first listened to it, I thought many guesses would come... but they didn´t :( . Not much writing on each track, just a few comments/guesses on some:

1.- I don´t own a great deal of his discs, but I´d say this is James Moody, or someone sounding like him.

2.- Same tune? :huh:

3.- This one comes from the transition from swing to bebop, but no idea on who´s playing. Great baritone sound, BTW!

4.- That clarinet should be identified, but... Goodman?

5.- Hey, Ellingtonia, for sure, but I haven´t got this disc. The intro trumpet is played by El Gato, isn´t he? Singer is Betty Roché. And bring on the carrots, here´s the Rabbit. But I don´t know who´s playing guitar and the Duke Himself isn´t here. Pianist sounds like Earl Hines. Definitely, I don´t have this disc. It must be early to mid 40´s. :tup

6.- Incredible arrangement! Love this tune. That alto sounds familiar.

7.- Nice Afro-Cuban “How high the moon”. HAFC.

8.- I´d swear this is Bud Powell on piano. Fats Navarro on trumpet? Early bop side. Not Bird on alto. Stitt?

9.- Haven´t got the remotest idea of who´s playing, but it´s simply a fascinating track. :angry: Damn you, Mike, this BFT will cost me a lot of money!!! ;)

10.- Another wonderful track. Is that a cello played on pizzicato?

11.- I´d say Hank Mobley. I´ll search, as it sounds a bit “oldie” to be him.

12.- Another blank. Nice track again! Who´s that doorbellist?

13.- Fabulous guitar/piano passages.

14.- An Afro-Cubanized “I´ll remember April”. ¡Chico, chico, qué bonito! :party:

15.- Lazy rhythm, great guitar!

16.- Sax player shouts the blues. Could have been taken from the “The Big Horn: The History Of The Honkin´ & Screamin´ Saxophone” Proper Box. Jump it!

More to come. I´ll take a break.

6. Jay McShann & His Orchestra featuring Charlie Parker - "Swingmatism." (*pumps fist and does victory lap around house*).

23. Damn, I know this tune. I've got someone else doing this song. I like this singing, hip stuff. Reminds me of King Pleasure.

:excited:

TRACK SIX - Sonny Stitt w/Tiny Bradshaw!  :g  :g  :g Nah, just kidding. If you don't already know what this is, and don't figure it out when the alto comes in, uh...never mind!

oooo! cheap shot at the uninitiated! having a members only party, eh? <_<:g

It's always amazed me how when he comes in, he carries the beat of the entire freakin' band right along with them, makes them swing HIS way, every last one of them. Incredible.

Sorry, but I really don't hear that happening, and trust me, I listened to this track a whole lot 'cause I was pretty sure it was early Bird, but not quite. Not to say that it isn't a great alto break, it is. But (to me) it does not have the in the face kapow quality that made the Bird the greatest of them all. Knowing the facts, sure I can hear more of it all happening. Seeing all the replies here and many if not most missing out on this one, I fear there may be some hindsight colouration of the facts here.

Us spoiled & jaded young folks is to blame for all of this for sure.

Remember, John, this was Bird's first (!) commercially recorded solo, April 30, 1941 !!! Nobody played alto like that at that time!

I thought everybody - well, almost - would know Bird's first solo. Turned out to be a history test.

TRACK SIX - Sonny Stitt w/Tiny Bradshaw!  :g  :g  :g Nah, just kidding. If you don't already know what this is, and don't figure it out when the alto comes in, uh...never mind!

Remember, John, this was Bird's first (!) commercially recorded solo, April 30, 1941 !!! Nobody played alto like that at that time!

I thought everybody - well, almost - would know Bird's first solo. Turned out to be a history test.

I´m afraid I didn´t pass the exam... :huh:

that's precisely what I meant, a big deal at the time, but not as biggie looking back not being able to place it in its historical context.

Yup, turns out only the old people knew this one ^_^:P

Bird surely is an important guy to the music, but there's loads of stuff I want to hear and the earliest recordings of the Bird are not the priority of my limited funds at the moment. And yadda yadda, of course we should listen to the elders to understand the young ones, but ey, who's gonna bring time into our young lives to accomplish that? and do we need to slurp up every single note the dude played to understand the future? I hope not. This is a rather marginal recording that is utterly interesting to hear, important from a historical perspective and what else not, but I would not necessarily have lived an unhappier life not having heard it altogether. I just hope no one is feeling, let alone being, compelled to listen to shit and is just hearing the stuff (s)he likes and moves onward from there at an own pace and in a self determined direction. that's all.

...This is a rather marginal recording that is utterly interesting to hear, important from a historical perspective and what else not, but I would not necessarily have lived an unhappier life not having heard it altogether. I just hope no one is feeling, let alone being, compelled to listen to shit and is just hearing the stuff (s)he likes and moves onward from there at an own pace and in a self determined direction. that's all.

In that case, John, I should sell all my early Fats Waller discs, as they are only important from an historical perspective, but contain some awful vocal sides. Do you want to buy them? :g

...This is a rather marginal recording that is utterly interesting to hear, important from a historical perspective and what else not, but I would not necessarily have lived an unhappier life not having heard it altogether. I just hope no one is feeling, let alone being, compelled to listen to shit and is just hearing the stuff (s)he likes and moves onward from there at an own pace and in a self determined direction. that's all.

In that case, John, I should sell all my early Fats Waller discs, as they are only important from an historical perspective, but contain some awful vocal sides. Do you want to buy them? :g

send them over, you have my address.

I'll throw you some dimes for that worthless pile of marginalities.

:g

that's precisely what I meant, a big deal at the time, but not as biggie looking back not being able to place it in its historical context.

Yup, turns out only the old people knew this one ^_^:P

Bird's early music is not stoopid enough for some of the young ones :g