favorite living jazz clarinetist

cannonball-addict

Who is the best jazz-oriented clarinetist out there?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lets see,

I buy these guys CDs, since they still release new stuff and I usually see their CDs in used CD stores:

Don Byron

Buddy Defranco

Ken Peplowski

Dr White

Alvin Batiste

Eddie Daniels

Haven't heard of the others or seen them in used CD stores. I'm interested in the others.

I'll keep my eye open for Perry Robinson and Bobby Gordon CD/LPs.

Edited by Tjazz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For that seductive timbre, I remember Vic Ash playing Good Bait on an EP I had many years ago. Never heard the like since for tone. Wish I could hear it again although sometimes revisiting the past can be disappointing.

Just like to put a word in for Sam Most too.

Amongst the currently active I gotta go with Perry Robinson, and not just 'cause he's the only one I've played with. But he did sound damn good when I was standing elbow to elbow with him getting blown off the stage! Heck of a nice guy too. If living is the test, Artie Shaw. All time? Sidney B, Johnny Dodds & Pee Wee are all up there for me, John Carter too.

Second your thoughts about Shaw if only being alive is the test. Interesting about your apparent regard for Dodds. I recall Shaw - who could be mighty off-putting with his frankness - severely putting down Dodds in print while stating that for that period Jimmy Noone was his personal favorite on clarinet.

Shaw on Dodds is a nice example of why the views on other musicians of very talented, even genius-level, musicians can't always be taken to the bank. What Shaw was striving for and achieved on the clarinet was so different from what Dodds was striving for and achieved that there could be, at least in Shaw's view, no common ground -- especially on an instrument that a musician who was oriented as Shaw was had to see in terms of either proper or gravely flawed technique. Artie on Dodds was like Jascha Heifitz faced with Stuff Smith (though maybe Jascha might have been hip enough to get what Stuff was up to). I think Shaw said similar things about Pee Wee Russell. I certainly recall a DB Blindfold Test in which reedman Dick Johnson, who led the band Shaw fronted in the '80s, said that Russell couldn't play the clarinet. Fortunately, we're in a position (I hope) where we can see the value in Dodds, Shaw, and Russell -- different as they are.

Marty, Larry, et al:

Sorry to take so long to respond. It's not surprising that Artie dissed J. Dodds, but it doesn't really bother me. Shaw had strong opinions 'bout all sorts of things and a guy who played that well and then hung it up for 50 years (not just quit the business, but as I understand it, quit playing totally) has got issues. Nice that he likes Noone who Goodman also admired, funny since Shaw complained that Goodman thought it was all about playing the clarinet, missing the larger musical picture, much less the cultural one. It's like when you have two friends that don't particularly like each other; it's their prob, not mine. shaw also said some pretty strong things about Klezmer, but I don't let that stop me from enjoying it or him...

Shaw certainly wouldn't have been as nice about my playing as Perry R. was but that doesn't mean that Perry can't play...

Eliptically, Dana