Larry Kart's jazz book

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So THAT'S why the book didn't sell. I'll fix this in a minute.

So "moderators" don't tell us they edited their posts!

I thought that when you did that, the fact that you'd done it was noted by the system automatically. In fact, I know that's happened every other time I've edited a post. Maybe it didn't happen this time because I didn't change any words, just hit the "return" key several times. Interesting.

remember paragraphs Larry?

Hard to read all that. :unsure:

Oh man, thanks. I've been wanting to say that for years, but a combination of love, respect, and itdontmatterallTHATmuch-itness has prevented me from doing so.

Maximum Love Points to both y'all, just because.

Actually, the book itself is mostly short paragraphs; that's the rhythm of newspaper writing. I guess for me, though, there's something about posting that leads to one continuous, uncensored gush, at least when I get excited. I'll try to watch that. Until I do, though, stand back. And sorry about that image.

look, Larry's the only guy who could write a piece on a musician I had always liked, illustrating several glaring problems with that musician, which only confirmed something which had bothered me for years but which I had kind of ignored, and than made it almost impossible for me to listen to that musician - Bill Evans, of course, and I don't mean Yusef Lateef or the guy who used to play tenor with Miles - what am I gonna do with all these Village Vanguard cds?

thanks, Larry -

look, Larry's the only guy who could write a piece on a musician I had always liked, illustrating several glaring problems with that musician, which only confirmed something which had bothered me for years but which I had kind of ignored, and than made it almost impossible for me to listen to that musician - Bill Evans, of course, and I don't mean Yusef Lateef or the guy who used to play tenor with Miles - what am I gonna do with all these Village Vanguard cds?

thanks, Larry -

But, Allen, I love the Village Vanguard Evans trio. It's what I think happened (or became more visible) later on that led to my dire speculations.

So THAT'S why the book didn't sell. I'll fix this in a minute.

So "moderators" don't tell us they edited their posts!

I thought that when you did that, the fact that you'd done it was noted by the system automatically. In fact, I know that's happened every other time I've edited a post. Maybe it didn't happen this time because I didn't change any words, just hit the "return" key several times. Interesting.

No. When a moderator edits one of his posts, there's an option that you have to positively select by ticking a box to put the same kind of "edited on" statement that appears automatically on everyone else's edited posts.

I suspect that, in the big world of forums (fora), there are reasons which may be something to do with moderators having the ability to edit others' posts - without this being known, unless the moderator wishes.

And yes, efore you ask, it's dead easy for a moderator to edit someone else's post. I nearly did once, when I hit the edit button instead of reply. And it all looks nearly the same...

MG

I know, Larry, but after reading your chapter I now find Evans annoying in key ways - it's odd and interesting, but there are certain tendencies he has (that you pointed out) that I now find glaring in nearly everything he played - though I will admit my difficulties with his music are augmented by having met him in his last years (his wife was a friend of mine) and being put off by his slow personal narcissistic descent - I also disliked Helen Keane - but such are the problems of getting to know these people personally. It's a good thing I never met Dostoyevskey -

Edited by AllenLowe

It all depends on how one knows people personally. I always got along well with Helen Keane and found he to be pleasant company, but I can see how her perhaps overly protective ways re Bill might result in a less favorable impression. I knew her both socially and in a working environment, but we were on the same side when it came to the latter (a Broadway project).

thinking about Evans...and the odd coldness of the later work - made me remember something - in 1979 (I think it was) his wife Nan held a 50th birthday party for him in Branford Connecticut - interesting party, Warne Marsh and George Russell showed up (I attended with my wife-to-be who was unimpressed until I told her that I felt like being at the party was like going to an event and meeting Mozart and Beethoven - sorry, it was the best I could come up with on short notice; she was trying to figure out why I, all of 25 years old, was somewhat beside myself) - anyway, late in the evening Evans sat down at their piano (they had a nice 6 foot Baldwin) and played a beautiful solo version of Stars Fell on Alabama - it was like 1959 again, and I remember thinking at the time that this was an Evans you never heard any more, just playing without any conscious effect, warm and tender and un-mediated by audience or self-expectations. So, he could still do it if he wanted to -

By the way Larry, I happened to find it in a local Borders that actually had a stack of copies. I kind of assumed that most of them did. Oh, well.

That's good news. About when was that, if you remember?

Right when it came out, as far as I can recall.

By the way Larry, I happened to find it in a local Borders that actually had a stack of copies. I kind of assumed that most of them did. Oh, well.

That's good news. About when was that, if you remember?

Right when it came out, as far as I can recall.

That's what I thought. I'm just glad that there was a stack of copies somewhere. One reason I was happy that I had that (I think) marvelously atmospheric snapshot of Ira Sullivan, Johnny Griffin, and bassist Nevin Wilson to give them to use on the cover is that I thought it made for as good a cover as could be for a jazz book, and that if I worked in a book store, I might put the book on display for that reason alone. As one musician (saxophonist Tim Armacost) said of the cover after I'd sent him a copy of the book: "Nice shades."