Larry Kart's jazz book

That's a very good, thoughtful review. Just got Larry's book today & am enjoying it very much (though like the reviewer I mourn the lack of an index!).

The funny thing about the Bill Evans piece is that I entirely agree with Larry's assessment of the general outline of his career--the fascinating early work with Russell, then things tailing off rapidly after the La Faro/Motian trio, until there's a flawed but interesting upswing at the end with Johnson & LaBarbara. & yet I'm not sure that I feel as dissatisfied with Evans' music as I think Larry is, nonetheless. I think that perhaps the piece is more about the way that Evans has set the agenda for mainstream jazz piano despite the fact that his music can be a dubious influence (if you do any reviewing at all you quickly become appalled at the sheer amount of sub-Bill Evans piano out there......).

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's ironic--I went searching for this thread as a result of pulling out Larry's book again to reread the piece on Evans, and the last post here refers to it. I ended up rereading several other pieces, as well as some that I hadn't read yet (I've read about 75% of it by now, I'd say) and as a result of that I found myself pulling out a number of albums that I hadn't listened to in quite some time. All by way of saying that I've been laid up at home with a cold today, and that Larry's book is a wonderful companion for any jazz-lover who finds himself with some time to kill. Fresh & apt insights leap from every paragraph, and the music is written about in an accessible, engaging style that shows deep listening, a complete absence of snobbery or "for musicians only" language (rather, it's all informed by an obvious and genuine love and curiosity), and high, high intelligence that never seeks to call attention to itself. No news, of course, to the many here who have already read it, or who are familiar with Larry's writing through his posts--but for those new to the board since this thread last saw life, do yourself a favor and pick this one up.

Edited by ghost of miles

Thanks, David. I see that it's still available through the Amazon portal -- new, used, and remaindered -- and elsewhere too I'm sure. Accessible and engaging -- that's me.

P.S. Every time I glance at the book's cover -- a circa 1957 bandstand shot of Ira Sullivan, Johnny Griffin (both on tenor) and bassist Nevin Wilson at a Chicago club -- I'm pleased. To me it's one of the great jazz photographs, at least in terms of conveying the mood of an era, and that was the era I first knew.

Accessible and engaging -- that's me.

^_^ I probably should've chosen a better word than "accessible," which is code in too many circles for popular/commercial (in the worst senses of the word) and carries about it a slight whiff of pandering. Not at all the case here. It's just that you write so well about the music without being overly musicological, sociological, or any other "ical" that I can think of. I think many non-jazz fans and even jazz "likers" (more on that in a moment) are intimidated by the world of jazz and find it difficult to penetrate. Your critical work seems to me to fulfill the goals of good writing, let alone jazz writing. I think ideally a very good writer will interest anyone in what he or she is writing about--not just those who are already drawn to the subject.

In certain parts of the radio world I sometimes find a divide between "jazz lovers" and "jazz likers," with each side treating the other with contempt and scorn. "Jazz lovers" are seen as the death of jazz radio, while "jazz likers" are seen as lightweight wine drinkers who want some nice background music for their leisure. I've never seen the value in deriding jazz lovers (probably in part because I place myself in that category); to make a crude political analogy, it's rather like p*&%ing all over your base. OTOH why sneer at people who mostly want an "Ella For Lovers" collection, or whatever? No, unfortunately, 99 out of every 100 who do will probably not ever discover Ornette Coleman, let alone Roscoe Mitchell. But why shut them out? 10 to 20 of them might well discover Bird, Trane, etc. And if they don't... well, the jazz world and audience is small enough as it is. I've never seen the value or point of turf wars, though they'll surely continue, human nature being what it is. So--to finally get to my point--one of the things that impresses me so much about JAZZ IN SEARCH OF ITSELF is how you've put together a book that IMO has, will, and would bring pleasure to both jazz lovers and jazz likers...and you've done so through the vehicle of very good writing, without making any sorts of compromises or self-conscious choices. Obviously the aficionados who populate this board found much reward in it, but I can really see giving this book to somebody who's just discovered the music. (I wish it had been around when I first got into jazz; you'd probably be happy to know that Martin Williams' THE JAZZ TRADITION was one of my introductory guides.) The essays and reviews of Rollins, Mobley, Brooks, etc. make me want to listen to the collected works of those artists all over again. Thank God I don't have to spend the $$ all over again! If I were a newbie I'd be jotting down all of those album titles and seeking them out.

P.S. Every time I glance at the book's cover -- a circa 1957 bandstand shot of Ira Sullivan, Johnny Griffin (both on tenor) and bassist Nevin Wilson at a Chicago club -- I'm pleased. To me it's one of the great jazz photographs, at least in terms of conveying the mood of an era, and that was the era I first knew.

I didn't know the era (wasn't born yet), but I agree that it's a great photograph, compelling and lit with a sense of drama, of things being at stake. It always provides a sense of excitement whenever I take the book out (and it travels frequently between my office and my home). What was it Jsngry said about your book being a modern-day stimulant that replaces more decadent and destructive ones? :excited:

• 1 year later...
Guest Bill Barton

Finally got this - the want list is toooooooo long ..... a great book, one of the most recommendable jazz books I have encountered in years. The introductory essay is great!

Belated congrats!

Thanks for bumping this thread up...

I definitely have to find a copy of this book.

Finally got this - the want list is toooooooo long ..... a great book, one of the most recommendable jazz books I have encountered in years. The introductory essay is great!

Belated congrats!

Thanks for bumping this thread up...

I definitely have to find a copy of this book.

Copies are easily found at low prices :):o :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/030...2462&sr=1-1

I believe the Jazz Record Mart also has a bunch at a bargain price.

Mike: Glad you liked the introductory chapter. I wrote that last, in a somewhat intoxicated (by the fumes of my brain going up in smoke) state.

Mike: Glad you liked the introductory chapter. I wrote that last, in a somewhat intoxicated (by the fumes of my brain going up in smoke) state.

Seems your brain resumed its original density thereafter ...

I like the idea of linking jazz development to other forms of art - that paragraph on Jelly Roll Morton's early pieces as little musical dramas made me re-listen to these, and yes, that's a way to see it.

It's natural you wrote it last; if only to justify throwing all these little pieces together ;) - but really, it's a valid way of seeing things in jazz history, for my taste.

Most importantly, it comes through that you really love jazz, not just write about it, like so many others.

Edited by mikeweil

I got the book late last year; a reflection of the respect I have for Larry.

I'm fairly out of sympathy with the reflective way Larry listens to music, but it was good to read it. And there are times Larry GETS your guts and you think, "pooh gosh, I wish I could write like that."

MG

well, you guys are forcing me to get serious here - and I have only a minor financial relationship with Larry (he only sends me money on the first of the month) - but Kart is a must-read; in the entire literature of jazz I can only say that about, maybe, 3 or 4 writers. A great critic is like a great artist in any form, he makes you look at everything as though you are seeing it for the first time, and by that standard Larry has made a major contribution to jazz -

Edited by AllenLowe