Modern Rock - what do you like???

I didn't want to like Radiohead at first, they were those whiny guys who sang "Creep", but OK Computer just floored me. I used to hear it all the time at Tower Records and it really got under my skin.

Now I have all their albums. To me, they are the Pink Floyd of these times. I dig their last couple albums, though not as much as OK Computer.

:rsmile:

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A local buddy of mine gave me a burn of the new Radiohead release about a month ago. Best thing since "OK Computer", IMHO, and that's coming from someone who really liked (but didn't quite 'love') both "Kid A" and "Kid B".

Don't hesitate to get the new one - it's really strong!!!

I rather like York's vocals, actually. He often sings with a "balls-to-the-wall" full-tone that I find really refreshing. He's not a screamer, not at all, but a real singer (in some sense), in that he vocalizes in full-voice, not (always) relying on microphones to give him his vocal power.

I suspect he could fill a "500 seat"-sized church with his voice, without amplification, which is something I would guess many rock singers would be hard-pressed to do.

Not arguing that he's a "great" singer, which is open to debate - to be sure. Just that I personally find his voice refreshing and honest, and direct.

That's true... none of them are eligible voters in the U.S. The title may be a double entendre. Radiohead equipment has been stolen many times. This may be the band's way of thanking the theives over the years that have helped the band continually change their sound.

I've also heard "stolen" tracks from the latest album. Sounds a lot like the last two (KID A, Amnesiac). I am looking forward to hearing it nonetheless.

The Chameleons U.K. had some good albums in the 80's, recently regrouped and put out a new album which may actually be one of their best. I downloaded "Why Call It Anything?" from EMusic and wasn't expecting much, but it's actually a great album.

One more: Anyone like The Cult? They are certainly bombastic, but for "balls-to-the-wall" rock, there's something there.

Edited by BFrank

I confess to not keeping up with this thread, so I'm not sure if this band has been mentioned or not, but I just remembered another "recent" band represented on my shelves: The Offspring. Sort of revisionist punk with a sense of humor. (I'll admit, it's the humor that gets me! If I want punk, I'll dig out the Ramones...)

Guest Mnytime

No, it's meant to be about Bush.

Though I will give you 10pts for an interesting hypothesis .  :party:

Greenwood references title. :unsure:

Their label has been getting a lot of complaints. It was meant for Bush but now they are backing off along the lines of Madonna. They don't want to have the same problem as the Dixie Chicks.

Their label "suggested" they "clarify" the meaning behind the title.

Though I will give you 10 pts for persistency. :party:

Edited by Mnytime

I confess to not keeping up with this thread, so I'm not sure if this band has been mentioned or not, but I just remembered another "recent" band represented on my shelves: The Offspring. Sort of revisionist punk with a sense of humor. (I'll admit, it's the humor that gets me! If I want punk, I'll dig out the Ramones...)

Glad to find another Offspring fan. I think their album, IXNAY ON THE HOMBRE, was the best rock album of the 90s, and the band one of the best rock groups of the 90s. A new album issupposedly due out soon.

I really like the White Stripes- worth checking out. Radiohead, Weezer, Incubus, Sonic Youth, The Strokes, The Roots also come to mind.

De La Soul (I guess, though I only have their first album)

If you like the first one, "DLS is Dead" and "Buhloone Mindstate" are both well worth checking out. I actually like "Stakes is High" a lot as well, but some people found that album a little less accessible. Not quite sure they're "modern rock", though! ;)

Guest Mnytime

Impossible

This is from a LA Times report that was done before the label "suggested" the "clarification" of the title.

"It was a quiet period," he says. "I was getting to know my little boy. But I'd also go for two- or three-hour walks in the country." (They live outside Oxford.) "I took a radio, so I was listening to BBC News reports of the war in Afghanistan.

"This beautiful scenery around me, some lunatic from the Bush administration talking in my ear. Out in the middle of nowhere, the media is really amplified —it's like being permanently on drugs. I guess I was worrying about what's going to be there when I'm gone and Noah is left.

Here is the link to the full report

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/pop/cl-c...ffe8jun08.story

From the review of the recording itself

The title, of course, invites interpretation as a comment on U.S. and world politics, and on one level it can be read as a ripped-from-the-headlines broadside ("Don't question my authority or put me in the dock" "Maybe you'll be president, but I know right from wrong").

Since I don't have the record yet. I don't know which song that line I put in bold is from. But the meaning of that line is clear in relation to the title of the record.

Link to the review

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/pop/cl-c...0,7250393.story

I haven't heard this but thought the Radiohead fans would be interested in it. A classical pianist's take on Radiohead songs

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/classica...ard8jun08.story

My thoughts on Radiohead are that I really like the music they play and I find the words interesting but there is only so much of Yorke's singing I can take.

Oasis: I'm not a fan and haven't heard much of their music. But I saw them open for someone about 8 years ago or so. Yikes. It was one of my most painful experiences ever. Sorry. Just my opinion, though.

Favorites from the last decade or two: (more punk than rock i guess)

Fugazi

Minutemen, fIREHOSE

At The Drive-In, Mars Volta, Sparta

Modest Mouse, Ugly Casanova

Descendents

Living Colour

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Faith No More

Black Keys

...does Prince count?

:)