Modern Rock - what do you like???

2. Supergrass - I only started listening to them 1 1/2 years ago with the release of the last album. Since then I've bought every album they've released. On a scale of 1 to 10, they are a 10 to me.

The first 2 Supergrass albums are solid SMOOOOOOOKE! The third was wasn't as strong IMHO. They have a nice balance of pop and noisy rock.

:tupc90361a0s36.jpg:tupe08876k0dkv.jpg:tup

It's funny... I actually prefer their newer stuff.

I think they've had a very interesting evolution. I believe they are currently recording their next album... I'll buy it the day it comes out. :D

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Supergrass - I only started listening to them 1 1/2 years ago with the release of the last album. Since then I've bought every album they've released. On a scale of 1 to 10, they are a 10 to me.

The first 2 Supergrass albums are solid SMOOOOOOOKE! The third was wasn't as strong IMHO. They have a nice balance of pop and noisy rock.

:tupc90361a0s36.jpg:tupe08876k0dkv.jpg:tup

It's funny... I actually prefer their newer stuff.

I think they've had a very interesting evolution. I believe they are currently recording their next album... I'll buy it the day it comes out. :D

Well, maybe I just didn't listen to "Life on Other Planets" enough. It didn't grab me as much as the others, though. (not that there aren't some great songs there)

e33120pbej0.jpg

FWIW, and sorry to be a pedant but this was the 'Grasses first disc and what a debut. Kinks, Faces, Who and Stones in one spotty teenage bong .

I remember the day it came out, I was out training with a younger team-mate and he would not stop humming 'Caught By The Fuzz'; which is, in English parlance, the Police.

I saw them live once and whata sound. The bass was very much like Entwhistle's backward peddling sound.

And Rooster I very much recommend the Muse album 'Origin Of Symmetry'; a riot from start to finish. The best of them all in my opinion.g21901zmoj4.jpg

Again, a blast live.

Do They Might Be Giants count? Seems to me they formed over twenty years ago. But their first album came out in the mid-80's, so maybe one could stretch a point. Don't much care for most modern rock. I like Fountains of Wayne. Other than that....hmmmm....file me under "fuddy duddy." And pass me that Ramones tape. B-)

e33120pbej0.jpg

FWIW, and sorry to be a pedant but this was the 'Grasses first disc and what a debut. Kinks, Faces, Who and Stones in one spotty teenage bong .

I remember the day it came out, I was out training with a younger team-mate and he would not stop humming 'Caught By The Fuzz'; which is, in English parlance, the Police.

I saw them live once and whata sound. The bass was very much like Entwhistle's backward peddling sound.

And Rooster I very much recommend the Muse album 'Origin Of Symmetry'; a riot from start to finish. The best of them all in my opinion.g21901zmoj4.jpg

Again, a blast live.

Looks like I'm not up on Supergrass as much as I should be. I wasn't planning on being a "completist", though. I'll keep my eye on the used bins and maybe pick up some more when they show up.

• 3 months later...

Just picked this up, and am enjoying it quite a bit...

(couldn't link, see attachment below)

Death Cab For Cutie

"the john byrd e.p." (about 40 minutes)

Featuring 7 live tracks taken from the 2004 spring 'transatlanticism' tour.

Link: Only available from independent stores. B-) :tup:tup:tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

One absolutely fantastic CD from last year is Arcade Fire - Funeral. Sorta iniesh lo-fi rock, but with delusions of grandeur. Its fantastic.

Personally, I think rock music is better now than at any other time since 1970. I will second the previous mentions of Death Cab for Cutire and Postal Service.

Other great bands from the last decade or so:

Mars Volta

Sparta

The Waifs

The Shins

Iron and Wine

Ben Harper

John Butler Trio

Wilco

Flaming Lips

Radiohead (of course)

Jack Johnson

Jeff Buckley

Damien Rice

Muse

Modest Mouse

Polyphonic Spree

So you cant name any bands and you dont see any creativity there (which clearly means you havent listened to enough of the music) but you still feel the need to say this music makes you feel nauseous?

There are no bad genres of music and it always quite dangerous for any music fan to simply dismiss that which they clearly know very little about.

Go buy some Wilco or some Radiohead. It might do you some good.

So you cant name any bands and you dont see any creativity there (which clearly means you havent listened to enough of the music) but you still feel the need to say this music makes you feel nauseous?

There are no bad genres of music and it always quite dangerous for any music fan to simply dismiss that which they clearly know very little about.

Go buy some Wilco or some Radiohead. It might do you some good.

What's wrong with recognizing what you don't like??

Go buy some Wilco or some Radiohead.  It might do you some good.

What's wrong with recognizing what you don't like??

Because it's dangerous! Um...your head might explode or something, I guess... :unsure:

There is a difference between recognizing what you dont like and dismissing music which you know nothing about.

If you like music, and I imagine that all of us do, you are doing yourself a terrible disservice to avoid entire genres based on limited exposure.

Additionally, it serves no purpose to say that the music makes you "nauseous." Thats fine if it does, but there is no reason to post in this thread then.

There is a difference between recognizing what you dont like and dismissing music which you know nothing about.

If you like music, and I imagine that all of us do, you are doing yourself a terrible disservice to avoid entire genres based on limited exposure.

Additionally, it serves no purpose to say that the music makes you "nauseous." Thats fine if it does, but there is no reason to post in this thread then.

That's precisely the reason that I always hesitate to bash Rap music. I don't listen to it, but if I made a the effort to hear all the different styles, I'm sure there would be some stuff that I like.

Yep!!

Keep them coming guys. I'm way behind on the new stuff and will be buying 5 or 10 LP's soon to get re-started.

Nice to see many new releases on vinyl, which is what I will be getting.

On my short list:

Shins

Postal Service

Iron and Wine

Modest Mouse(do not like their last one)