Modern Rock - what do you like???

De La Soul (I guess, though I only have their first album)

If you like the first one, "DLS is Dead" and "Buhloone Mindstate" are both well worth checking out. I actually like "Stakes is High" a lot as well, but some people found that album a little less accessible. Not quite sure they're "modern rock", though! ;)

Hey, less than twenty years old! For me that's a tough criterion. Thanks for the recommendations!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remembered two this afternoon. I guess I was trying to think of bands whose new releases I look forward to...

Sublime !!!

BLind Melon

It is a damn shame both of these bands are no more. Every album gets equal play at our house! I would have loved to have heard more.

Right now I'm listening to Dead Meadow. Has anyone heard of them? Fucking great!

I have to say I was underwhelmed by the new Radiohead on my first couple of listens, but it's really growing on me - fast. There are a couple duds (esp. the "we suck young blood" song), but all in all it's a very impressive record. Some very intelligent lyrics to boot. I can't believe I'm getting into a modern rock group. What's happening to me? The more musical common ground with the gf, the better, I guess.

I'm liking it myself. I think it is cool to criticize Radiohead these days, as they have been hailed by critics for so long now. They seem to be revisiting some of their older song styles, skipping over The Bends and OK Computer though. I especially like the songs where Thom Yorke is singing in a more natural voice with less whine. Even some acoustic guitar strumming here and there! I'm a fan.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like the Barenaked Ladies -- "Brian Wilson" and "Good Boy" are beautiful songs, and I love many of their lyrics.

Ben Folds is great, with and without the five.

Aimee Mann continues to give me shivers.

I have a sentimental attachment to the first two Counting Crows albums, and I think they are a good group of guys to boot.

Radiohead of course.

Coldplay.

John Mayer has some surprisingly good songs.

Smashing Pumpkins (RIP)

Cake. Weezer.

I miss the Verve. I also miss Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana. Audioslave is great.

Crash Test Dummies.

Nappy Roots (thanks to my daughter). Godsmack and Staind thanks to my son.

Color Theory.

It's amazing I have any time for jazz...

Living Colour was great-- Vernon Reid rocked my world with his solo on "Cult of Personality". Blind Melon was also good for the ears. Sublime had some moments too. A lot of stupid drug deaths there. Same with Alice in Chains, which I already mentioned.

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were both great bands that I miss. The fairly recent death of AIC vocalist Layne Staley came as a major blow to me (but not a surprise). I would love to see Soundgarden get back together. I much prefer them to Chris Cornell's current band, Audioslave. Also really like Tool, A Perfect Circle, 311, Godsmack, etc.

Guns N' Roses was the last rock band that I really called myself a fan of. But I hardly ever listen to rock. So I don't really know whats out there these days.

My son is a big Hip Hop fan. I also like some Hip Hop, including Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg (only the first record), Tribe Called Quest, and Outcast. My son listens to less commercial stuff. He played for me a few artists not long ago that I really enjoyed. They restored my faith in Hip Hop as a vital innovative music:

Brother Ali

Vakill (with the Molemen)

Rob Swift (good forward-looking use of jazz elements in the mix, including Bob James and other live musicians.)

Well, this is good news. I was a huge GnR fan when I was younger-- and I'm still a big STP fan. So it sounds like you are hinting that Izzy Stradlin is recording with them but won't be touring?

I'm looking forward to hearing their music-- none of the Guns' solo efforts have been very impressive, but I continue to be a sucker enough to keep buying them! :excited:

First, Catesta, excellent taste! ;)

Metallica and Guns N' Roses kind of stretch for the 10-15 year mark, they have recorded in that period, and I like 'em so what the hell . Megadeth, Megadeth, Megadeth! Thrash will always rule!guitarist.gif Alice N' Chains, Anthrax!!!rock_band.gif The Cult. Morphine, damn but they were good! :( Marcy Playground, first album deserved better, Sex and Candy wasn't the best song by far.

If you, yes you, are old and like mellow music only, Try Cowboy Junkies! So mellow, my Mom says they are boring, but I really like their sound, Lay It Down never seems to get mentioned, but I love that album, not a weak song! Susan Vega. 99.9° F. I know some don't like her non folk period, but this is a great album IMO. No love for Liz Phair??? I would like to give her my love! :wub: Besides, Exile in Guyville has many very good songs. her latest album has a song with the title of H. W. C. Figure it out.... :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

This is my week for bringing up old threads...

New stuff (by relatively new bands) that I've discovered and enjoyed quite a darn bit over the last 6 months...

g08151wr7xh.jpge988395we8t.jpgf70074avu17.jpg

Death Cab for Cutie - "Transatlanticism" (Barsuk, 2003)

Death Cab for Cutie - "The Photo Album" (Barsuk, 2001)

The Postal Service - "Give Up" (Sub Pop, 2002)

That last one (Postal Service) is a side-project (a duo actually) by Death Cab frontman Ben Gibbard.

g10088ffor2.jpgg45018unkw1.jpgg29951k52jo.jpg

The Stills - "Logic Will Break Your Heart" (Vice, 2003)

Snow Patrol - "Final Straw" (Universal, 2004)

Franz Ferdinand - "Franz Ferdinand" (Domino, 2004)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Rooster resurrecting threads... :tup

I don't remember if I posted on this thread last year but...

I like a lot of modern music. I don't listen to any radio, but I still think there's a lot of incredible music being made. It just doesn't sell anymore.

I'll add more later, but my top two current rock bands are:

1. Radiohead - I have loved everything they've done from OK Computer on. To me, they are the Pink Floyd of these times. IMO, they are the most interesting group in music today. :tup:tup:tup:tup

2. Supergrass - I only started listening to them 1 1/2 years ago with the release of the last album. Since then I've bought every album they've released. On a scale of 1 to 10, they are a 10 to me.

Last 10-15 years? Yeesh... To be honest, I find today's rock music climate pretty abysmal. So the list of bands I like that haven't been around for 12 years is pretty short:

* Animal Collective

* The Clentele

* Matt Suggs

* White Magic

* Six Organ of Admittance

* Iron & Wine

* Devendra Banhart

* Magnetic Fields

Groups that have been around a while (but whose new records I seldom buy anymore):

* Sonic Youth

* Yo La Tengo

* Smog

* Guided By Voices (soon to be in the following category)

* The Fall (I might actually buy their new one...)

* David Kilgour

Groups that ain't around no more:

* Gastr del Sol

* Latin Playboys

* Thinking Feller's Union Local 282

* Butterglory

* The Mad Scene

My wife has really taken to this band since this thread went dormant. They sound quite a bit like Radiohead, but with a very "Jeff Buckley"-like singer fronting the band. She likes 'em a bit better than I do, but they've grown on me a fair bit too.

d651179du9x.jpgg26979ezjgw.jpg

Muse - "Showbiz" (WB, 1999)

Muse - "Absolution" (Mushroom, 2003)

2. Supergrass - I only started listening to them 1 1/2 years ago with the release of the last album. Since then I've bought every album they've released. On a scale of 1 to 10, they are a 10 to me.

The first 2 Supergrass albums are solid SMOOOOOOOKE! The third was wasn't as strong IMHO. They have a nice balance of pop and noisy rock.

:tupc90361a0s36.jpg:tupe08876k0dkv.jpg:tup

This is my week for bringing up old threads... g29951k52jo.jpg

The first few times I saw this title in the stores I wanted to pick it up and look at it even after I knew what it was. The colors on the cover would constantly cause my brain to tell my hand to inspect the CD. Something about the orange on black with the white letters, my brain would register this as being a new Impulse! release, something I didn't already have.