berkshire record outlet

cliffpeterson

• 4 years later...

I placed my first order with Berkshire on 12/31/08, and haven't heard squat since (and my credit card hasn't been charged). The web site states that a full four weeks should be waited before contacted them about an order, but is this par for the course--i.e., do orders usually take this long to ship?

I placed my first order with Berkshire on 12/31/08, and haven't heard squat since (and my credit card hasn't been charged). The web site states that a full four weeks should be waited before contacted them about an order, but is this par for the course--i.e., do orders usually take this long to ship?

Sometimes.

Sometimes.

Given the prices, I guess it's worth the wait. :rolleyes:

Do they send shipping notices?

Not unusual, in my experience, though I haven't ordered from them since nearly their entire stock turned "Andorran". That said, still some decent "legit" issues to be found there.

My order was classical issues from "legit" labels (Hyperion/Helios, Harmonia Mundi, Music & Arts, etc.). Plenty of those left--at least I hope there are by the time they get around to filling my order. :unsure:

Reminds me of the Concord Summer Blowout a few years ago--orders took forever to ship, but the prices made it well worth the wait.

Sometimes.

Given the prices, I guess it's worth the wait. :rolleyes:

Do they send shipping notices?

Yes, I got one on Friday, but then I don't recall getting one every time. Nothing I've ever ordered from them has failed to arrive.

Yes, there's Andorran junk there, but they're not really a jazz place. Almost everything I've ordered from them over the years has been classical. In that area, it can be a gold mine at coal mine prices.

I didn't mean to be disparaging about BRO overall. Just a lot of "chaff" among the jazz (and classical) "wheat". I do like their classical offerings; I'm not terribly sohpisticated, and they meet ("met", back when I was buying) my needs.

And I know they've got Telarcs and Music and Arts and others.

Been buying from them for about 20 years. They are slow. You have to live with that. IIRC, in the winter they only work the store/site on weekends and during the warm seasons they concentrate on real people. Wouldn't want to be without them.

My experiences with them (probably a dozen orders over five or so years) have all been good.

I've been ordering from BRO for over 10 years. They are slow, but reliable. They also have a reputation for being rather, er, gruff with "pesky" customers, so I wouldn't complain unless they exceed stated deadlines. Only problems: a couple of times I got shipped an incorrect disc, but they were very accommodating with exchange/correction. A lot of jewel cases wind up being cracked/busted, but that doesn't bug me.

I also have almost always ordered classical, though my purchases have really fallen off in recent years. BRO was very helpful when it came to exploring contemporary classical. If you diligently search the site every week or so, tremendous bargains can be found. I've found the jazz offerings far less compelling, though I suppose there are occasional finds.

Re. Andorrans, yes, there are a lot. And in the classical realm, there are shitloads (really ridiculous numbers) of assorted Italian pirate labels. But lots of legit labels, too. BRO always has a certain number of ECMs. In classical, Hyperions among others.

two guys, a girl and a pizza place

Sounds like a good name for a band.

actually, it was a good name for an abc sitcom that ran from 1998-2001. two of the three actors who starred in the show have gone on to other movie and tv roles - ryan reynolds starred in national lampoon's van wilder, and appeared in blade: trinity. traylor howard currently plays "natalie" on the tv show monk. i liked the guy-girl-pizza show partly because it was set in boston. both of the guys went to tufts university and worked at "beacon street pizza." ^_^

Guest Bill Barton

...I also have almost always ordered classical, though my purchases have really fallen off in recent years. BRO was very helpful when it came to exploring contemporary classical. If you diligently search the site every week or so, tremendous bargains can be found. I've found the jazz offerings far less compelling, though I suppose there are occasional finds...

I too have been an on-and-off customer for years. There have been a number of excellent jazz recordings that I've found there at bargain prices too. Quite awhile back they had a nice selection of Leo discs. And they continue to have Music & Arts titles in stock. I picked up some fine Dennis Gonzalez there... Using their search function by label tends to be the most effective in my experience if you're looking for jazz or contemporary "classical."

For those folks who have wide-ranging tastes, you never know what might show up too. The latest e-mail from the Berkshires on their new additions includes a very interesting Paul Robeson collection, for instance.

Edited by Bill Barton

And they continue to have Music & Arts titles in stock.

Speaking of which, they currently have a terrific deal on the 5-disc Schnabel/Schubert box (with 2005 transfers/restoration by Mark Obert-Thorn)--only $19.95. Brand spankin' new and sealed, and NOT a cut-out. The only "issue" is that the catalog number on the spine is incorrect (1173 instead of 1175; it's correct on the back of the box)--like anyone would even notice if BRO didn't point it out. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ron S

Speaking of which, they currently have a terrific deal on the 5-disc Schnabel/Schubert box (with 2005 transfers/restoration by Mark Obert-Thorn)--only $19.95. Brand spankin' new and sealed, and NOT a cut-out. The only "issue" is that the catalog number on the spine is incorrect (1173 instead of 1175; it's correct on the back of the box)--like anyone would even notice if BRO didn't point it out. :rolleyes:

Ordered this one. Thanks for a tip on a great bargain, Ron.

Ordered this one. Thanks for a tip on a great bargain, Ron.

My pleasure. :) I'd had this in my sights for quite some time, and was thrilled to find such a terrific deal.