Cannonball Adderley

Nat Adderley cornet

Cannonball Adderley alto sax

Charles Lloyd tenor sax, flute

Joe Zawinul piano

Sam Jones bass

Louis Hayes drums

NYC, October 19 & 21, 1964

This album is an often overlooked Cannonball gem, imo. Lloyd is a killer on the flute.

2. NAVARACK, from HARMONIC CONVERGENCE, on Dem Dem's Demos

Nick Demopoulos

Nick Demopoulos guitar

Katisse Buckingham saxophones, flute

Mike Elizondo bass

Joel Alpers drums

Los Angeles, 1997

A jazz buddy stumbled upon this one in a used bin and it killed him. I played my burned copy to death, hooked up with Nick and bought my own from him direct. This is one of the best albums of the 1990s, again imo. You've got to get it. Whoever is interested I can probably get Nick's email address.

Totally unknown players, I wasn't surprised that no one had gotten it right. The melody is Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern in a Tristano way, a cerebral blues maybe.

3. OPUS D'AMOUR, from LEE KONITZ MEETS DON FRIEDMAN, on Camerata

Lee Konitz

Don Friedman Piano

Lee Konitz Sax (Alto), Sax (Soprano)

Tsutomu Okada Bass

Jeff Williams Drums

Japan 1996

It's not the crème de la crème Lee Konitz performance from the last 10 years, but it's just nice. It's a mellow very well recorded album. I'm surprised noone guessed Don Friedman, that was a let-down.

4. 3 from MAGIC WATER, on AVA Records

Anatoly Vapirov

Yury Parfionov trumpet, flugelhorn

Yury Kuznetsov piano

Vladimir Volkov bass

Stoyan Yankoulov tupan, percussion

Andrey Prozorov alto sax

Anatoly Vapirov soprano sax

Varna, Bulgaria August 2, 1997

It's a pretty neat cd, not sure if it's available. These are the live tracks from the Varna Summer Jazz Festival in Varna, Bulgaria. Citizens of 3 Eastern European States converge in a wild rodeo of a tune. the rest of the disc is wild too.

3 is the track title, not a mistake.

5. WHEN SUNNY GETS BLUE, from THE NEWEST SOUND AROUND, on RCA Victor

Jeanne Lee, vocals

Ran Blake, piano

NYC, 11/15/61

Wow, what can I say. It's one of those albums that will continue being avant-garde forever. I love this record.

6. HIGH HOPES, from the IMPRESSIONS OF A PATCH OF BLUE

Walt Dickerson

Walt Dickerson vibes

Sun Ra piano, harpsichord, celeste

Bob Cunningham bass

Roger Blank drums, timpani

NYC, ca. late 1965

This was my first introduction to Dickerson, when I was only beginning my jazz journey and lurking at the then brand new BN Board. This record is like a painting at the Frick or a good book.

7. ANGEL from the NEW KINGDOM, on Delmark

Roy Campbell

Roy Campbell Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Ricardo Strobert Alto Sax, Flute

Bryan Carrott Vibes

William Parker Bass

Zen Matsuura Drums

This is a pretty charged record from inside, they deliver the message. A William Parker tune, btw.

8. STRATUSPHUNK, from NOW'S THE TIME

Hal McKusick

Charlie Persip Drums

Frank Socolow Alto Sax

Connie Kay Drums

Jay Cameron Baritone Sax

Barry Galbraith Guitar

Milt Hinton Bass

Bill Evans Piano

Art Farmer Trumpet

Hal McKusick Alto Sax

NYC, 1957

We all love that tune, I think. I just recently bought this cd and have been spinning it, so it was a natural for the BFT. I think most of you know more about McKusick than I.

9. EL SONIDO NUEVO, from EL SONIDO NUEVO: The New Soul Sound, on Verve

Cal Tjader

Eddie Palmieri

George Castro Flute, Percussion

Tommy Lopez Drums

Manny Oquendo Drums

Eddie Palmieri Piano

Julian Priester Trombone

Ismael Quintana Percussion

Bobby Rodriguez Bass

José "Jochy" Rodríguez Trombone

Barry Rogers Trombone, Conga

Cal Tjader Vibraphone

Mark Weinstein Trombone

RVG Studio, NJ, 1966

Sweet cd, but another case when 2 records merged on one cd lose some tracks. I'm on the look-out for the Lps. Afro-Cuban jazz is not my specialty, but I dig this cd a lot, it has not only great tunes, but awesome playing and superb arrangements. I'm buying more Tjader now and definitely more Palmieri.

10. SOLITUDE II from the Soundtrack to the TAXI BLUES, on DRG Records

Vladimir Chekasin

Somewhere in Europe, ca. 1990-91

Bargain-priced on eBay is the way to go on this one. It's a moody piece, an unusually "together" playing by the member of the ChGT Trio [Chekasin Ganelin Tarasov]. The trio is no more, and the former members have been up to different things, I think Tarasov had a drum duo record with Andrew Cyrille. Ganelin was into electronic music, and who knows what Chekasin has been doing. But here it is.

Anatoly Vapirov

Yury Kuznetsov piano

Vladimir Volkov bass

Andrey Prozorov alto sax

It's a pretty neat cd, not sure if it's available. These are the live tracks from the Varna Summer Jazz Festival in Varna, Bulgaria. Citizens of 3 Eastern European States converge in a wild rodeo of a tune. the rest of the disc is wild too.

Vapirov has his own label AVA records, and you can purchase his CDs from him directly: http://www.vsjf.com/ava-frameset-1024x768_E.htm

Vladimir Chekasin

Bargain-priced on eBay is the way to go on this one. It's a moody piece, an unusually "together" playing by the member of the ChGT Trio [Chekasin Ganelin Tarasov]. The trio is no more, and the former members have been up to different things, I think Tarasov had a drum duo record with Andrew Cyrille. Ganelin was into electronic music, and who knows what Chekasin has been doing. But here it is.

Ganelin Trio reunited in 2002 after 15 years of inactivity, and produced a pretty nice (if not essentail) record: http://www.leorec.com/?m=select&id=CD_LR_375

I think there is more coming from them later this year on Leo.

Edited by Д.Д.

Anatoly Vapirov

Yury Kuznetsov piano

Vladimir Volkov bass

Andrey Prozorov alto sax

Vapirov has his own label AVA records, and you can purchase his CDs from him directly: http://www.vsjf.com/ava-frameset-1024x768_E.htm

Alsa, one disc of the Golden Years of Soviet New Jazz Vol. I set on Leo is dedicated to Vapirov's music: http://www.leorec.com/?m=select&id=CD_GY_401/404

3. OPUS D'AMOUR, from LEE KONITZ MEETS DON FRIEDMAN, on Camerata

Lee Konitz

Don Friedman Piano

Lee Konitz Sax (Alto), Sax (Soprano)

Tsutomu Okada Bass

Jeff Williams Drums

Japan 1996

It's not the crème de la crème Lee Konitz performance from the last 10 years, but it's just nice. It's a mellow very well recorded album. I'm surprised noone guessed Don Friedman, that was a let-down.

I did hint at Don Friedman but I posted too late. I have never seen (or heard) this Konitz album. I checked the Don Friedman discography on the Michael Fitzgerald site and did not think the BFT track originated from this session. This is going to be a hard one to find! But I'll be looking for it!

No wonder I could not find any of the players from track 2. It looks really good but I'm not even try to bother searching for this CD. Talk about obscure!

Anatoly Vapirov

Yury Kuznetsov piano

Vladimir Volkov bass

Andrey Prozorov alto sax

I will purchase this. Are there more tracks with Bulgarian rhythms on any of the other CDs?

Can anyone tell the nationality of the musicians involved here, especially who are the Bulgarians?

The tupan is the drum used in Bulgarian folk music, a small bass drum carried in front of the belly, ca 12 - 14 inches in diameter, hit with a thick wooden beater on the right head and a long thin wooden rod on the left head - when you rest the latter on the head while hitting the right side you get a snare effect. This is a type of drum and playing technique found all over Eastern Europe and the Orient over to Afghanistan, Pakistan and India - the Greek call it dauli, the Kurds call it davul, but theirs are larger. Impossible to say who invented it. It is however probable it was brought to the Balkan area during the Osman occupation, or by the Proto-Bulgarians.

I would have bet there was a trap set player besides the tupan - is it really only one drummer? If so, my hat is off!!!

Was there no Varna Jazz Festival in 2004? One page linked does not display a year - anyway, I will try to coordinate our next Bulgaria vacation with the festival, if possible.

Edited by mikeweil

This is a Pakistani tabl baladi, from the same family, to give you an idea:

tups.jpg

It is a very interesting thing to apply rhythmic patterns and playing techniques of this drum type to the trap set - I am always disappointed that most Turkish and Kurdish drummers play standard rock/funk patterns instead of the ones from theuir own heritage, which are just as funky!

Yury Kuznetsov piano

Vladimir Volkov bass

Andrey Prozorov alto sax

Can anyone tell the nationality of the musicians involved here, especially who are the Bulgarians?

google tells me that

Yury Parfionov is Russian

Yury Kuznetsov is Ukranian

Vladimir Volkov is Russian

Stoyan Yankoulov is Bulgarian

Anatoly Vapirov is Russian

can't seem to find out about Andrey Prozorov

Vladimir Chekasin

Didn't realize this was from the soundtrack of the film 'Taxi Blues'! Saw the Pavel Lungin film about ten years ago. Bleak but excellent film with a walk-on surprise appearance by Hal Singer. The music did not leave a major impression at the time.

Might be time for a reevaluation!

Saw the Pavel Lungin film about ten years ago. Bleak but excellent film with a walk-on surprise appearance by Hal Singer. The music did not leave a major impression at the time.

Might be time for a reevaluation!

It's what they call an incidental soundtrack, most of the pieces are worth listening to no more than once. I bought it only because it was cheap and obscure. in other words - save your money for something else. IMO.

2. NAVARACK, from HARMONIC CONVERGENCE, on Dem Dem's Demos

Nick Demopoulos

Nick Demopoulos guitar

Katisse Buckingham saxophones, flute

Mike Elizondo bass

Joel Alpers drums

Los Angeles, 1997

A jazz buddy stumbled upon this one in a used bin and it killed him. I played my burned copy to death, hooked up with Nick and bought my own from him direct. This is one of the best albums of the 1990s, again imo. You've got to get it. Whoever is interested I can probably get Nick's email address.

Totally unknown players, I wasn't surprised that no one had gotten it right. The melody is Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern in a Tristano way, a cerebral blues maybe.

Anatoly Vapirov

Yury Kuznetsov piano

Vladimir Volkov bass

Andrey Prozorov alto sax

10. Vladimir Chekasin

I'll have to track down copies of these. Thank you for including these on the test!

7. ANGEL from the NEW KINGDOM, on Delmark

Roy Campbell

Roy Campbell Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Ricardo Strobert Alto Sax, Flute

Bryan Carrott Vibes

William Parker Bass

Zen Matsuura Drums

This is a pretty charged record from inside, they deliver the message. A William Parker tune, btw.

Man, I don't know about this album. The inclusion of Bryan Carrot makes this a definite purchase. That trio track is killer though!

• 2 weeks later...

5. WHEN SUNNY GETS BLUE, from THE NEWEST SOUND AROUND, on RCA Victor

Jeanne Lee, vocals

Ran Blake, piano

NYC, 11/15/61

Wow, what can I say. It's one of those albums that will continue being avant-garde forever. I love this record.

FWIW, according to Jazzmatazz, BMG Germany is reissuing this in 24-bit sound on December 7.

Signed on October 16th by email. Never got a reply.

Cd-r was mailed. I'm not surprised it didn't arrive. My experience with mailing things to Russia is dismal. Seems like most mail is being stolen either by the P.O. staff or from people's mail boxes by their neighbors.

I only send things to my friends in Moscow with a courier.

Sorry about that.