My Tale of Woe

sjarrell

As I posted about these items here yesterday, I'm putting this here though it's kinda off-topic. Yesterday I get this swell bunch of Blue Note LPs in the shop I work. I list them on eBay, that being my job and all.

Today was my day off, and my esteemed co-worker, who's awfully good at hand cleaning an LP, takes it upon himself to spruce some up. He's never damaged a record in 5+ years of cleaning and handling. Then I get a phone call telling me there was something abrasive underneath the records during cleaning. An early if not original pressing of Blue Train is now unplayable, on each side a 1" scratch in the direction of the groove that skips. We've a Lenny Tristano black-label Atlantic that was NM and is now likewise unplayable. A copy of Royal Flush, ditto.

And the two Monk BN 10"s as well as the Julius Watkins v2 have been downgraded to VG with similar but not nearly as severe scratches.

Yesterday I'm thrilled at having seen the best looking copies of these I'm likely to ever see. What a craptastic difference a day makes.

Tomorrow there's some more non-BN stuff going up, as well as the downgraded Monks and Watkins...

:(

In the words of Ricky Riccardo: "Lucy...you got some 'splaining to do!"

It defies credulity when your formerly esteemed co-worker manages

to apply the same 1-inch gash to EVERY record he cleans by hand.

I mean, wouldn't he FEEL it while wiping it?

Sounds like there was a Moose on the Loose or some Malice in the Palace.