Jazz CDs for sale

I've recently posted an update to my list of used jazz CDs for sale at

http://www.saxophobia.net/forsale.html

I've also got 18 jazz CDs listed on eBay, most of them out of print, by Anthony Braxton, Lester Bowie, John Carter/Bobby Bradford, Gerry Hemingway, Benny Carter, Ken Vandermark, Simon Nabatov, Elvin Jones, Ed Wilkerson, Nathan Davis, Albert Mangelsdorff, Gil Melle, Henry Threadgill, Tommy Flanagan, and Billy Pierce here:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsa...osortpropertyZ1

Regards,

Glenn

I don't know why everybody has to throw a fit everytime someone "new" posts cds for sale in the "Offering and Looking for" forum. If someone spams every forum on the board then sure, delete the messages. If b3-er wants to institute a requirement that you must have 100 posts before you can sell a cd then he can do so. If b3-er wants to decide that you can't post cds for sale until the board "regulars" decide you are ok, then he can do so. Until he decides to do that people should chill out and not harass every person that starts out on the board by selling cds.

I've bought cds from Glenn and I know a few other people who have done so, all with excellent service and friendly emails back. He is a good guy and doesn't deserve this crap.

Maybe offering them directly to board members is OK, but using the board to promote an EBAY auction or another sale site, is not cool.

I'm with Leeway on this one.

It's fine to offer stuff, but we've all got ebay search engines. Don't need newbies to post spam.

No need for that.

It's different with regular posters announcing their ebay offerings. We know them and they contribute elsewhere.

For the record, I believe I've bought from Glenn in the past on ebay. He's a good seller; but we don't need his spam.

Thanks,

Paul

My apologies if I've posted here inappropriately. I'm genuinely surprised that posting a link to a non-commercial jazz CD sale list and eBay items under the "Offering and Looking For" topic would qualify in anyone's mind as "spam" - isn't that precisely what this topic is for? Evidently, some of you view the "Offering and Looking For" topic as different than others. I assume no one would have complained had I chosen to participate only in, say, the "Album of the Week" or some other discussion. If that's the case, then could I politely suggest including some guidelines somewhere on the forum to the effect that this category is reserved for regular participants in the other topics? As it is, the "Forum Rules" seem to me to be broadly worded to encourage any reasonable and responsible participation.

Glenn

Many of us sell cds and let the others know through this forum. I think the objection is that you're only coming to this board for this purpose. I'm sure you're a jazz fan and we'd like you to participate in what this board is about. Obviously, no one can stop you and I don't think b3er will but why not participate in the rest of the board. You do have some good stuff and I might even bid but just don't only participate to sell stuff. Post and join the party!

Two viewpoints messin' up my mind:

1. Glenn (chitownjazz) has alerted us to some genuine quality CDs posted elsewhere for sale. As I don't spend much time trawling Ebay, I appreciate the 'heads up' from a fellow member.

2. If a member's ONLY postings consist of links to his regular jazz auctions, then this site is obviously BEING USED for enriching one's wallet.

Organissimo Jazz is a collective consortium and interactive community. It ain't cool for someone to just use the 'coupon' for free classifieds and immediately toss the 'magazine' away, so to speak.

I can dig Glenn when he writes to point us to the unusual and interesting stuff he's selling. He's obviously intelligent and writes well -- maybe he can follow-up with some picks and pans within the jazz market or aspects of the scene. That way, we get something in return and it evens out.

At the very least, we need some disclaimer like "We don't want nobody that nobody sent" (a classic quote from Chicago politics) so that new members will realize it is best to build up some cred before trying to sell here, just so that we don't go through this every time.

Of course, negative comments are appropriate if you are pretty sure someone is shady or a scammer.

At the very least, we need some disclaimer like "We don't want nobody that nobody sent" (a classic quote from Chicago politics) so that new members will realize it is best to build up some cred before trying to sell here, just so that we don't go through this every time.

Of course, negative comments are appropriate if you are pretty sure someone is shady or a scammer.

I believe the quote is from Al Capone. Of course, that was the same as "Chicago politics." :lol:

It's the title of a book by Milt Rakove, who claimed he heard this when he tried to volunteer for a political campaign (not that that doesn't mean it didn't come from Capone originally). He couldn't break into the system without having someone to vouch for him, maybe not so different from here. ;)