Recommend me some new artists

Mace1370

Almost all of my exposure to jazz has been through trumpet artists. I would like to start branching out and listening to more non-trumpet artists. Can you guys, in your infinate jazz wisdom, recommend me a few new non-trumpet artists based on the trumpet artists I current like? Here is a list of the main guys I listen to:

1. Chet Baker

2. Arturo Sandoval

3. Doc Severinsen

4. Clifford Brown

5. Harry James

6. Miles Davis (not the weird stuff)

7. Al Hirt

8. Dizzy

9. Louis, of course

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Mace1370

Almost all of my exposure to jazz has been through trumpet artists. I would like to start branching out and listening to more non-trumpet artists. Can you guys, in your infinate jazz wisdom, recommend me a few new non-trumpet artists based on the trumpet artists I current like? Here is a list of the main guys I listen to:

1. Chet Baker

2. Arturo Sandoval

3. Doc Severinsen

4. Clifford Brown

5. Harry James

6. Miles Davis (not the weird stuff)

7. Al Hirt

8. Dizzy

Thanks for the help :)

The best advice I could give is to look at the sidemen on the trumpet discs you have and go from there.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Pryan, I did check out the weird stuff. I just couldn't get into it :(

I'm just finishing up this book called "Miles Beyond", and it really explores Miles' electric period. It's making me want to go out and get a bunch of his 70s/80s stuff that I don't have. If your ever inclined to take the plunge w/ the weird stuff again, then you should check out this book as a sort of guide.

Okay--these are some NEW artists I recommend:

1) Taylor Eigsti--outstanding young performer (pianist). Has opened for Brubeck, among others.

2) Milton Fletcher--pianist--no recordings yet (that I know of), but watch for his name

3) Anthony Wonsey (bop pianist--did 3 great sets at Monterey Jazz Festival a few years ago)

4) Along Came Betty--hard bop band, not unlike Blakey, Golson, or Silver--great original material.

5) Jackie Greene (Sacramento, CA multi-instrumentalist)--not really jazz, but he blew away the Monterey Jazz Fest crowd this year with his mix of blues, folk, rock, & country. I walked out of a Buddy Guy performance at the main stage to catch a second set by this Dylanesque performer (check out his Rusty Nails CD!)

As far as other not-so-new artists you might like, try Sonny Stitt (sax), Chucho Valdes (piano), Art Blakey (drums/leader), Benny Golson (sax), Horace Silver (piano), Oscar Peterson (piano)...more later.

Edited by Jeffro

Mace,

I would echo what Dan suggested. When you've listened to to any of the artists you listed in your post, if anyone else(piano player, drummer,etc.) stood out to you, check out something under their name. That's how I started, I had one album, liked some players on it, which led me to their recordings, etc. It's a journey without a destination, the journey is the real fun-explore, take chances. You may not like everything you explore, but chances are you'll find lots of stuff you WILL like.

Try some brilliant Australians: Scott Tinkler (sorry - he's a trumpeter, but IS freaking brilliant), Mike Nock, Mark Isaacs, Allan Browne Quintet, Sandy Evans, Joe Chindamo, Fiona Burnett, Jamie Oehlers, Paul Grabowsky, Bernie McGann, Paul Williamson, Andre Keller, En Rusk, Phil Slater. Just offa the top of my head ... :D

Try some brilliant Australians: Scott Tinkler (sorry - he's a trumpeter, but IS freaking brilliant), Mike Nock, Mark Isaacs, Allan Browne Quintet, Sandy Evans, Joe Chindamo, Fiona Burnett, Jamie Oehlers, Paul Grabowsky, Bernie McGann, Paul Williamson, Andre Keller, En Rusk, Phil Slater. Just offa the top of my head ... :D

I've got to interject here that a large number of Kenny's recommendations made 2003 a GREAT year of discovery for me. (Re. Aussie players)

Here are some specific recs. of mine from his list:

Andrea Keller - Thirteen Sketches

James Muller - Thrum

Paul Williamson - Non-Consensual Head Compression

Scott Tinkler - Dance of Delulian

There are many more that I enjoy, but I'd suggest you buy one or more of these as a Christmans gift to yourself. My guess is that you'll want to explore more. I did.

Ever hear of the alto player Andrew Speight? From Sydney, iirc. He was the director of jazz studies at MSU when Jim and I were there.

Try some brilliant Australians: Scott Tinkler (sorry - he's a trumpeter, but IS freaking brilliant), Mike Nock, Mark Isaacs, Allan Browne Quintet, Sandy Evans, Joe Chindamo, Fiona Burnett, Jamie Oehlers, Paul Grabowsky, Bernie McGann, Paul Williamson, Andre Keller, En Rusk, Phil Slater. Just offa the top of my head ...  :D

Ever hear of the alto player Andrew Speight? From Sydney, iirc. He was the director of jazz studies at MSU when Jim and I were there.

Oh yes! I voted Andrew's quartet album, recorded during a visit back here with a great band including John Harkins on piano, as my album of the year in 1998. Great player! As far as I know, he's still teaching/playing in the US? Detroit?

Sunday Herald Sun Oct 25 1998

By: KENNY WEIR

Quartet

(ABC Jazz/EMI)

Andrew Speight

Review: Kenny Weir

TURN it up, sit back and smile.

And then gasp as the inventiveness, imagination and passion of alto saxophonist Andrew Speight perform an irresistible tap dance on your musical soul.

That the American-based Australian follows the jazz tradition - the influence of Charlie Parker and Cannonball Adderley is manifest - matters not.

A measure of Speight's prowess is the inclusion of Parker's Dexterity and Au Privave, along with tunes as familiar as Easy Living, without the slightest loss of electric spontaneity.

Speight is matched at every turn by the eloquence of John Harkin's piano, while bassist David Rosin and drummer Andrew Dickeson sound ecstatic in the wonderfully full-bodied sound conjured up by engineer Dennis Fox.

One can only feel sorrow that so many people are hypnotised by the marketplace dictates of over-produced, soulless techno trash when there is such spellbinding music - played live on acoustic instruments - as this.

Album of the year, no problem.

If you haven't yet....pick up something with organ. Jimmy Smith is the only place to start and "The Sermon" would be the one I'd suggest to you. Available as a relatively inexpensive RVG and along with it's sister album "House Party" is wonderful. Also includes other Blue Note greats on it such as Art Blakey and Lou Donaldson.