Near & Middle Eastern World Music Thread

White Lightning

Finally – a World Music corner!

The musical genre “World Music” is full of “east-meets-west” attempts. I think that a lot of such attempts were done especially in 60s.

I believe that the main problem of such cultural meetings is the fact that in most of such meetings one culture overshadows the other.

So let’s discuss some of your favorite World music musicians here.

I will do my best to introduce you to Israel's world music - one of the best World music scenes in the world, imho.

BTW, As much as I dislike the term “world music”, which suggests the usual Anglo-American self-centered approach to the rest of the world, I’m using it in lack of another, more suitable term.

Edited by White Lightning

I have spent some time listening to the music of Iranian composer/violinist/'ud player Simon Shaheen. I have only two of his albums right now: The most recent, which is one of the East-West-styled collaborations with his band Qantara, and the other is his performances of the music of Mohamed Abdul Wahab.

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to see Shaheen and Qantara as part of a local series put on by a museum. It was a great year that year, as they had The ICP Orchestra, and Charms of the Night Sky group with Dave Douglas as well.

Shaheen was superb, and his band was fantastic as well. The wife and I were able to sit front and center. Two things stuck out fo rme at this show. First was percussionist Jamey Haddad. He plaeyd frame drums for most of the concert, and his mastery wsa something to behold. Second, was the story he told about tuning the 'ud. He spoke of how difficult it is to maintain tuning, and he retuned a bit after each performance. Once at a concert, he was having a harder time finding the right tuning, and he kept playing around and tuning and palying around and when he was finished and ready to start the piece, the audience applauded, thinking it was a piece or improvisation. :)

and the other is his performances of the music of Mohamed Abdul Wahab.

:tup

Second, was the story he told about tuning the 'ud. He spoke of how difficult it is to maintain tuning, and he retuned a bit after each performance.

Wooden tuning pegs slip!

I love a lot of the music that gets lumped under the umbrella term "World Music."

Some of my current favorites are:

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, from Pakistan

Hariprasad Chaurasia, from India

Fela Kuti, from Nigeria

Ali Farka Toure, from Mali

Thomas Mapfumo, from Zimbabwe

as well as Rabih Abou-Khalil who does, I believe a fantastic job melding "western" jazz with "eastern" oud.

When I have a little more time I'll start posting my thoughts on specific albums that are among my favorites.

I have spent some time listening to the music of Iranian composer/violinist/'ud player Simon Shaheen.

Shaheen is a superb Oud player and a composer

A little correction: Shaheen is not Iranian, he's an Arab Israeli, born in the Galilee in 1955 and graduated from the Academy of Music in Jerusalem. Later on he moved to NYC.

Israeli World music:

The 90s and 00s in Israel are teeming with world fusion music; a lot of it is excellent. The three main ingredients in Israel’s world (or ethnic) music are:

(a) Classical Arab music;

(b) Western Culture with all its genres, especially Jazz;

© Traditional Jewish music from both Ashkenazi and Sepharadi tradition (European and Arabian Jews).

To these ingredients add some Iranian, Turkish, Greek and even Celtic influences and you get a most interesting music scene. And if I dare say – Israel’s world music is one of the best in the world.

Why the sudden influx in the 90s? I can try and give many explanations, but I think the main reason was the first Intifadah and the peace process that followed. While mainstream Israeli look down on Arabs, their culture and their values, and that is portrayed also in mainstream Israeli music, quite a few Israelis began to manifest their coexistence beliefs, began to explore the similarities and differences of the different cultures that exists in Israel in order to achieve “a salad bowl” rather than a “melting pot” cultural effect.

Naturally, the entire world fusion scene is happening outside of the artistic hub of Israel – Tel Aviv. The three main areas where such fusion attempts are happening are – the Galilee (North Israel), The Negev and Aravah (South Israel) and Jerusalem – where I live. These three areas have both Arabs and Jews living together. Religion and spirituality are vital parts of the fabric of living in these places. Cross-influences are abounding.

Equally natural is the musical mainstream establishment constant disregard of that scene. The musical establishment is located in Tel Aviv – Israel’s metropolis. In a generalized description, Tel Avivians are content in living in a Western-secular culture ghetto. Looking down on any attempts to create substantial music outside Tel Aviv boundaries, let alone fusing religious and Arab culture into the music. They regard any artistic attempt done outside their city as backward.

Late in this thread, I’ll discuss a few of the main figures in Israel’s world music scene in the 90s and 00s, which, I believe, are prominent figures in music anyplace

Why the sudden influx in the 90s? I can try and give many explanations, but I think the main reason was the first Intifadah and the peace process that followed. While mainstream Israeli look down on Arabs, their culture and their values, and that is portrayed also in mainstream Israeli music, quite a few Israelis began to manifest their coexistence beliefs, began to explore the similarities and differences of the different cultures that exists in Israel in order to achieve “a salad bowl” rather than a “melting pot” cultural effect.

A good example of the ability of musicians (and other artists, no doubt) to lead the culture.

Edited by Joe G

Bustan Avraham

bustan_avraham.jpg

A group of seven Arab and Jewish Israelis that came together in 1991.

The group’s goal was to develop instrumental music that will combine and confront the different musical cultures without losing its own cultural identity.

The name is meaningful: “Bustan” or “Boostan” means a garden in both Arabic and Hebrew and “Avrahham” – Abraham is the father of Isaac and Ishmael, the father of both Jews and Muslims.

In Bustan’s musical repertoire you will find Classical Arab music, Classical European music, Jazz, Persian, Turkish and Indian music, Flamenco and American folk. The musical instruments are also a mix or both Middle Eastern instruments, such as Oud, Qanoun, Darbouka etc, and western musical instruments, such as violin (also an eastern instrument), flutes, Classical and Spanish guitars, Bass, Banjo etc.

Bustan worked together for 10 years, they performed successfully throughout Israel and toured the world. During the 10 years of its existence, Bustan has recorded 6 albums. In those albums you can find some interesting musical meetings with Hariprasad Chaurasia, Ross Daly and Zakir Hussein.

Here are a few of the nice cover art of Bustan's CDs:

tn_909.jpg

tn_38405725.jpg

tn_1133.jpg

tn_38137527.jpg

BTW, As much as I dislike the term “world music”, which suggests the usual Anglo-American self-centered approach to the rest of the world, I’m using it in lack of another, more suitable term.

White Lightning, may I suggest you use the edit function of the topic title you have as the first poster, and rename this topic "Near & Middle Eastern World Music Thread"? It seems this thread centers on that region.

The term "World Music" is too broad - and a typical labelling invented by marketing strategists. I would suggest these regions:

Near & Middle East incl. North Africa (from Morocco to Persia & Afghanistan)

Indian subcontinent

China, Japan & South East Asia

Australia & Ocenania

Africa South of the Sahara

Middle America & Carribean

South America

Shaheen is great - I have all of his records. Is his career in the US in any way affected by the 9/11 incident? He runs a very nice website, but I don't see any recent concert dates.

Edited by mikeweil

White Lightning, may I suggest you use the edit function of the topic title you have as the first poster, and rename this topic "Near & Middle Eastern World Music Thread"? It seems this thread centers on that region.

The term "World Music" is too broad - and a typical labelling invented by marketing strategists. I would suggest these regions:

Indian subcontinent

Australia & Ocenania

South America

Shaheen is great - I have all of his records. Is his career in the US in any way affected by the 9/11 incident? He runs a very nice website, but I don't see any recent concert dates.

Done! Good idea, Mike

Great idea for a thread! And more music to explore.

Whenever I traveled to North African or Middle East countries, one of the first thing I would do would be to tune in to the local radio stations to listen to the music.

One of my most treasured live music experience was the concert Oum Kalsoum gave at the Olympia in Paris in 1967. I think it was her first appearance ever outside the arab world and planeloads of Middleastern fans (worshippers would be the right word) chartered planes to attend the event.

The concert went on for something like five hours. What an incredible singer! She was magic!

Edited by brownie

Indian subcontinent

Australia & Ocenania

South America

Europe?

Indian subcontinent

Australia & Ocenania

South America

Europe?

Russia East of the Ural?

Ceclestial Harmonies is one of good labels devoted to presenting ehtnic music. Their Music of Islam 17-CD box is an excellent overview of music of Middle East and North Africa: http://www.harmonies.com/releases/19907.htm

Do you have a favorite or favorites among these?

One of my most treasured live music experience was the concert Oum Kalsoum gave at the Olympia in Paris in 1967. I think it was her first appearance ever outside the arab world and planeloads of Middleastern fans (worshippers would be the right word) chartered planes to attend the event.

The concert went on for something like five hours. What an incredible singer! She was magic!

Brownie, there doesn't seem to be a single important live music event in Paris since the late 1950's that you haven't seen! I really envy you .....

I saw a short excerpt from this performance in a very nice documentary on Om Kalsoum on arte TV - mesmerizing.

Indian subcontinent

Australia & Ocenania

South America

Europe?

Russia East of the Ural?

Like all categories, these will be in dispute forever.

Peter Manuel (Popular Musics of the Non-Western World, Oxford University Press 1988) suggests:

Latin America and the Carribean

Africa

Europe (how could I forget! :rolleyes:)

The Arab Middle East

The Non-Arab Middle East

South Asia

Southeast Asia

China

The Pacific

I think we should add North Asia, which would include the parts of Russia couw mentions and Mongolia - my wife loves Tuvan music, we will be going to see Hun Huur Tu in May.

Has anybody heard Dhafer Youssef?

enj9439.jpg

This was sent to me by a friend earlier this year - some info is on the enja website. I find his mixture of Arabian music and ambience music not always attractive - I dislike drum machines. But the second half of the disc is very nice. king ubu told me he saw him live with just bass and drums and it was fantastic!

Edited by mikeweil

Another one I got from another friend:

tip888844.jpg

Very interesting interview on his enja page - like Shaheen, he bridges the cultural and political gaps neither politics nor extremists really want to bridge - a great attitude.

I have to admit I can't quite hear his personal identity in the mixture - his sax is heavily Garbaresque, his clarinet is pretty much Klezmer plus jazz, there is some Bulgarian, some jazz, some Ottoman sounds ... like Ephraim Kishon said: "Is there a specific type of Jewish humor, and if so, why not?"

Has anyone read his book, "A Guide to the Perplexed"?

His own website is at www.gilad.co.uk.

Edited by mikeweil

One of my most treasured live music experience was the concert Oum Kalsoum gave at the Olympia in Paris in 1967. I think it was her first appearance ever outside the arab world and planeloads of Middleastern fans (worshippers would be the right word)  chartered planes to attend the event.

Brownie, there doesn't seem to be a single important live music event in Paris since the late 1950's that you haven't seen! I really envy you .....

I saw a short excerpt from this performance in a very nice documentary on Om Kalsoum on arte TV - mesmerizing.

These were the sixties and I did saw plenty. I had to curtail these memorable activities in the seventies when I married and got myself a family. Also work obligations took over.

No regrets. Just great memories!

Another one I got from another friend:

tip888844.jpg

Very interesting interview on his enja page - like Shaheen, he bridges the cultural and political gaps neither politics nor extremists really want to bridge - a great attitude.

I have to admit I can't quite hear his personal identity in the mixture - his alto sax is hevily Garbaresque, his clarinet is pretty much Klezmer plus jazz, there is some Bulgarian, some jazz, some Osman sounds ... like Ephraim Kishon said: "Is there a specific type of Jewish humor, and if so, why not?"

Has anyone read his book, "A Guide to the Perplexed"?

His own website is at www.gilad.co.uk.

IMHO, "Exile" was one of the best Jazz releases of 2003. I like this CD a lot. In a twisted kinda way, this is one of the most Israeli Jazz CDs I've ever heard (twisted, becasue of Atzmon's hatred towards Israel and Zionism)

An interesting comparison can be made between Atzmon and most of Israeli world music groups:

While all of these musicians fuse together east and west msucial genres, Atzmon uses his music to advocate antagonism towards the state of Israel as well as a complete identification with the plight of the Palestinians. His music is his soap box and he uses it explicitely and vocally.

The Israeli groups treat music as music per se. The facts that these groups blend in their music both Arabic and Jewish musical elements, the musicians are often both Jews and Arabs, convey th subtext of a coexistence and the merits of a pluralistic society.

Oh, another difference is the fact that Atzmon has made a choice to live in exile (in his own words) while those Jewish-Israeli groups continue to live and "preach" their philosophy in Israel