Joe Henderson's "If"

Big Wheel

Is that for both the head and the blowing? There sure seems to be some wacky stuff going on around bars 4-5 of the head.

Those were the blowing changes- the head is a different animal. As with many Joe tunes, the head is often based on its own set of changes which are frequently simplified (or altered in some way-harmonically or formally) for the blowing section.

Sounds to me (and I'm basing this on the "Kicker" version) that during the head the rhythm section is comping a regular blues, but they aren't doing the descending whole-step turnaround over the last four bars, just what sounds to me like an Ebsus13-type of chord. The horn voicings create some very interesting dissonances, however (like in bars 7-8).

Edited by Free For All

I wonder if the blowing changes on the Unity version are different. I played through it tonight and it doesn't really remind me of the one in my head (I'd just sit down and transcribe the damn thing, but my copy of the album is sitting at home about 1000 miles away right now...)

OTOH, maybe Larry is just playing some funky voicings...

Edited by Big Wheel