Your 5 favorite JAZZ purchaces on CD in 2004.

Rooster_Ties

I'm with sidewinder as well when looking back.

Domestics aside-

Rendell / Carr "Shades of Blue & Dusk Fire"

Gilles Peterson "Impressed 2"

Barney Wilen's IDA catalogue as completed for me by the good folks in the EU!

Jim R's 'Hard Bossa" thread hipped me to a sound I only had few of but wrung the wallet dry. Tenorio Jr, Bossa Tres, Mereilles, Dom Um Romao etc... are now essential.

Nessa's Marsh's "All Music" was much nicer to deal with than the changes at AllMusic.com

My odd-duck guilty-pleasure is the Blue Note-Italy release of Nicola Conte's "New Directions". Not-so-hard-modal-acid-skoochie-bop if that's what you call it. (it's entirety rises above the two cuts that are absolute dreck!)

My wackiest pick was copped from a BFT and found used courtesy of RDK of the Belgian Band FES - "Armstrong Mutations".

I could go on...

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greatest, unexpected pleasures

Joost Buis- Astronotes- astonishing Dutch release- miss at your peril

Henry Red Allen- RCA Victor (F)LP Vol 1

Mark Isaacs-Keeping the standards (Vorcity) dark Oz piano trio

The Chocolate Dandies LP (Parlophone)- simply wonderful material

Cecil Taylor - Willisau- my first latter day CT

Greatest , expected pleasures

Warne Marsh- All Music :wub::wub:

Andrew Hill- Dance with Death

Phil Bancroft- Headlong

Woody Herman- all five Philips LPs

edited to remove Ayler as it's a box set

Edited by Clunky

Easterly Winds – Jack Wilson. I’d been hoping this would eventually get released, and fidelity issues aside (man, I wish they could’ve found the master for this one), the playing is just so sweet!

Action/Right Now – Jackie McLean. I bought a lot of Jackie Mac this year, and found it difficult to narrow it down to one album. Couldn’t, in fact. They’ve all been getting regular airplay, but these two are hands-down my favorites.

Pres & Teddy – Lester Young & Teddy Wilson. Well, since I couldn’t put the Teddy Wilson Mosaic on the list, I’ll settle for the next best thing. And this is hardly settling, lemme tellya! I got an added bonus by picking up the Japanese VICJ pressing of this, which is OH SO SWEET!

Buddy Rich/Sweets Edison LPR. Still not sure what to think of Buddy’s over-powering playing, but Sweets and Barney Kessel and Jimmy Rowles keep things nicely swinging! Especially on “Barney’s Bugle!”

Piano in the Foreground/Piano in the Background – Ellington. Okay, it’s two albums, but it’s one concept, so that’s why it counts!:P I knew I’d like Foreground; in fact, I like it more than the more-famous Money Jungle. But I had NO idea that Background would be one barn-stormin’ flag-waver from start to finish! WOW!!!

Pres & Teddy – Lester Young & Teddy Wilson. Well, since I couldn’t put the Teddy Wilson Mosaic on the list, I’ll settle for the next best thing. And this is hardly settling, lemme tellya! I got an added bonus by picking up the Japanese VICJ pressing of this, which is OH SO SWEET!

I'm still missing that one.

As far as I recall, and without checking right now, aren't there different version (Japanese) with the +1 or +3 added?

Are there more alternate takes? Or what? Stupid question?

What's the definitive edition to get?

Cheers!

My odd-duck guilty-pleasure is the Blue Note-Italy release of Nicola Conte's "New Directions". Not-so-hard-modal-acid-skoochie-bop if that's what you call it. (it's entirety rises above the two cuts that are absolute dreck!)

I've been thinking about getting this one , I think you may have pushed me over the edge.

I'm still missing that one.

As far as I recall, and without checking right now, aren't there different version (Japanese) with the +1 or +3 added?

Are there more alternate takes? Or what? Stupid question?

What's the definitive edition to get?

Cheers!

The version I have has only one extra track: Pres Returns.

I would venture to guess that this is the definitive version; certainly worth the extra dollars over the US Verve (which is in SERIOUS need of an upgrade).

This was a year of rediscovering artists I thought I knew everything about. Mingus with his "Let my children play music" and the wonderful "Ellington suites" are two records that were recommended on an Israeli jazz board and go into that category.

Branford Marsalis with his latest release is a favorite of mine.

Ron Carter with Pick 'Em/Super strings – guess I'm weak for albums that combine arranged music with improvisations.

Also I enjoyed listening to Ornette Coleman. He was an artist whom I was afraid of. Never paid attention to his music but there were few events that made me curious. First my favorite Metheny album has an Ornette tune (Law years on the trio from 1989). Second I heard on a radio a version of Lonely Woman (that was actually almost two years ago but I realized it was the famous Coleman tune long after it). Third I heard his composition Turnaround on Redman's record called Wish.

There were more events when I heard Ornette's compositions and really liked it. I decided to explore his music a bit.

"Tomorrow is the question" is a favorite of mine and so is "This is our music" which I chose as album of the week.

It was a great year of discoveries for me (this board included) but since I was limited to five I'll stop right now.

Edited by ztrauq22

My odd-duck guilty-pleasure is the Blue Note-Italy release of Nicola Conte's "New Directions".  Not-so-hard-modal-acid-skoochie-bop if that's what you call it.  (it's entirety rises above the two cuts that are absolute dreck!) 

I've been thinking about getting this one , I think you may have pushed me over the edge.

If you do, and you should, skip to track two right off as the opener's trumpeter takes a Chet vocal feature with not nearly enough "horse" power. It's almost worth a Blutarsky.

And let me know if you can figure out why the UKs Bembe Segue needs to have such a "brooyyklyn" intonation. Too much Bernadette Peters in the diet. ;)

Everything else is fantastic IMO - on the edge of a Messengers meets Pearson with some dead on Hendersonisms and bits of Booker Ervin with sugar. It's no St. Germain by any means. (That's a good thing) Stellar playing all around and it's Copy Protection does not work! :g

01 The Complete Lionel Hampton Quartets and Quintets With Oscar Peterson on Verve. Verve 1999. Disc 1

02 The Complete Lionel Hampton Quartets and Quintets With Oscar Peterson on Verve. Verve 1999. Disc 2

03 The Complete Lionel Hampton Quartets and Quintets With Oscar Peterson on Verve. Verve 1999. Disc 3

04 The Complete Lionel Hampton Quartets and Quintets With Oscar Peterson on Verve. Verve 1999. Disc 4

05 The Complete Lionel Hampton Quartets and Quintets With Oscar Peterson on Verve. Verve 1999. Disc 5

:g

Cheers!

LOL

Made me laugh. :D

Guess I must have a bad sense of humor :(

I can't think of 5 off the top of my head but one that made me very happy was getting Dizzy's Verve Big Band sessions, a double cd. Very, very nice.

Oh yeah and that one too...

Listened to it a lot this year.

For those of you who can speak the ancient language of Moses, there is a review on my website about all Dizzy related big bands.

http://www.geocities.com/ztrauq22/bigband/dizzy/dizzy.htm

I can't think of 5 off the top of my head but one that made me very happy was getting Dizzy's Verve Big Band sessions, a double cd.  Very, very nice.

Oh yeah and that one too...

Listened to it a lot this year.

For those of you who can speak the ancient language of Moses, there is a review on my website about all Dizzy related big bands.

http://www.geocities.com/ztrauq22/bigband/dizzy/dizzy.htm

Haven't listened to it for a while.

I seem to recall though that the sound was pretty muddled?

Cheers!

Two.

Horace Silver, THE UNITED STATES OF MIND

532806.jpg

I may be in the minority here, but I happen to think that this set contains some of Silver's most personal music. Not just because of the lyrics, which I know are just oo full of New Age-y self-actualization for some tastes, but due also of the sharpnessof the melodies and the sheer depth of the improvsing, especially from the leader. Its as if Horace re-discovered harmony on these dates, and he makes the most of his new knowledge. Also, for sheer historical importance: for answering in the digital age the question, "What was one of the most important and influential post-War jazz artists doing at the beginning of the ME Decade?"

Jeff Parker and Scott Fields, SONG SONGS SONG

534065.jpg

I happen to think Parker is the real deal, a guitarist with a wide range of interests -- you may have heard him in Tortoise, or with Fred Anderson, or elsewhere -- but a supremely solid grounding in jazz and contemporary improv. Scott Fields is an intriguing figure in his own right, with AACM connections and several ambitious projects on his vita. The music they make together is nerve-wracking -- in the best sense, i.e., in the way that Cecil Taylor's best music can be nerve-wracking -- but never abrasive. Parker's peices are, in fact, dowright gorgeous ("LK 92"). Maybe the most original recording to make use of guitar feedback since, geez, I don't know, My Bloody Valentine's LOVELESS.

Edited by Joe

Yikes, I've only bought 1 new release in all genres for 2004, Dave Douglas's The Infinite. Hmm. I have bought almost 50 reissues from 2004 though, never mind other new & used finds. I've probably bought more discs this year than ever (the hazard & benefit of hanging out here :) ), so I'll just stick with stuff that was reissued this year.

Warne Marsh - All Music - I love hearing the different approaches to "I Have A Good One For You." And the cymbals sound especially terrific. ;)

Andrew Hill - Black Fire - I could just as easily list Dance With Death here, but now I've now found the title to introduce Andrew to friends with.

Cecil Taylor - Conquistador! - I haven't played this in a few months, but I seem to recall thinking the horns reminded me of something from Miles electric period. Which given that this predates that, I guess something about that Miles album (perhaps in Bitches Brew) reminds me of this!

Jackie McLean - Right Now! - Another album deserving of the exclamation point in the title!

Sonny Rollins - Worktime - The K2 was the 1st time I've heard this. It sent me off on filling in some of the gaps in my Sonny collection. There really is no business like show business.

Loved the Blakey RVGs and the Sam Rivers & Jack Wilson Conns too.

Though no boxes are allowed, perhaps the most unexpectedly wonderful surprise of my year is all Lon's doing. After all of his posts about Teagarden, I decided to pick up the 3 disc set by Avid Father of Jazz Trombone. I don't typically seek out jazz vocals, but I absolutely love Tea's singing (playing too of course.) The set also includes 4 numbers with Venuti and Lang which is my 1st exposure to their music, so this discovery could be doublely (tripley?) dangerous in the Mosaic dept. Thanks Jazzbo, I see why you seek out all things Teagarden!

Edited by Quincy

AMM: LIVE IN ALLENTOWN USA (MATCHLESS)

THE VINY GOLIA QUINTET: ONE, THREE, TWO (JAZZ'HALO)

JAMES FINN TRIO: FAITH IN A SEED (CIMP)

DENNIS GONZALEZ: THE EARTH AND THE HEART (MUSIC & ARTS)

PAUL DUNMALL & PAUL ROGERS: AWARENESS RESPONSE

But I can list 5 different titles in 5 minutes, 5 others in 10, in 15, in 20...

Edited by P.L.M

Under the pressure of the "rules", I fail.

Big Friggin' S'prise. :P

"Real" music bought for the first time this year is (subject to additions):

Cecil Taylor - Feel Trio - 2 Ts for a lovely T

Warne Marsh - Live At Dana Point

Roscoe Mitchell - Solo 3

That's a bunch of music. It may take the rest of my life to digest it.

Hey gang.  How about telling everyone your 5 favorite jazz CD purchases over the last year (the discs you can't live without now  ^_^ )....

ALSO, this thread is NOT only limited to discs that were released (or reissued) only in 2004.  Just what are the five most important jazz discs you bought in 2004 - even if they're OOP titles, or used stuff you found on eBay, or whatever.  They can be stuff released on CD years ago, but they were new to your ears this year.

Here are the five jazz albums I purchased this year that now occupy truly revered places in my collection:

Ben Allison and Medicine Wheel - Riding the Nuclear Tiger (Palmetto, 2001)

Allison (like all of the wonderful musicians of the Jazz Composers Collective, which he founded) was a new discovery for me this year. This is probably my favorite album from the bassist-leader, a remarkable, adventurous, quirky post-bop set with memorable original compositions. Michael Blake (saxes), Ted Nash (reeds), Ron Horton (trumpet), Frank Kimbrough (piano), and Jeff Ballard (drums) are all wonderful in their roles.

Ben Allison and Medicine Wheel - Third Eye (Palmetto, 1999)

See above. My second favorite from this great group.

Fred Anderson and Hamid Drake - Back Together Again (Thrill Jockey, 2004)

The legendary Chicago tenor player was another new discovery for me this year, and this duet album with percussionist Hamid Drake is a miracle. Anderson extends his improvisations the way a storyteller unfolds a tale. Suspense, charm, drama, humor - it's all here, and all brilliant.

Matt Wilson's Arts and Crafts - Wake Up! (To What's Happening) (Palmetto, 2004)

An associate of Allison, Kimbrough, and the Jazz Composers Collective, Wilson is an astonishing drummer and a great bandleader, to boot. This band features Terrell Stafford and organist Larry Goldings, who both contribute stunning solos and musical textures. Offbeat and innovative stuff. Fantastic. Their first album, Arts and Crafts (Palmetto, 2002), is a very close second.

Ted Nash - Still Evloved (Palmetto, 2003)

Nash is another JCC member, a valuable contributor to The Herbie Nichols Project and Ben Allison's Medicine Wheel. I picked this up just out of curiosity, expecting a solid-if-not-great album. Boy, did I get more than I bargained for! There's a sound here, a layered set of textures and small dramas throughout. Ben Allison on bass, Matt Wilson on drums - and Wynton Marsalis on half of the tracks, sounding more relaxed and adventurous than he has in many years.

Yeah, I know that's a lot of Jazz Composers Collective stuff from the Palmetto label, but this set of musicians was by far the year's most important discovery for me.

Edited by gdogus

It is difficult to tell which one of these is my favourite but my top five would be:

Blue Mitchell: Boss Horn

Andrew Hill: Passing ships

Mc Coy Tyner: Today and tomorrow

Michel Camilo: One more once

Horace Parlan: On the spur of the moment

Edited by ASNL77

Very hard to get to five as I've enjoyed so much this year.

Acoustic Ladyland - Camouflage (Babel)

An album that is something of a showcase for the younger generation of UK jazz players who are taking the country by storm at present. Hendrix tunes remade and remodelled. Live they are absolutely electrifying.

Carrothers Bill - Armistice 1918 (Sketch)

The concept album is alive and well! A 2CD project based around World War I using tunes of that era and originals as a jumping off point. A very moving experience.

Laubrock Ingrid - Forensic (F-IRE)

German sax player who lives and works in the UK in a variety of contexts (including a band playing Brazillian music). Her first two albums were excellent but still inside a hard bop/post-bop framework. This one pushes outside the boundaries whilst remaining melodic. Free and elastic, think Wayne Shorter in the late-60s before electricity, Steve Lacy.

Schneider Maria - Concert in the Garden (Artist Share)

Exquisite! I'm not much a fan of traditional big-band music. Schneider writes for jazz orchestra and does so beautifully. Jazz drawn from Gil Evans, de Falla, Debussy, Ravel rather than the BBC Big Band!

Somogyi Arnie - Improvokation: Star Mountain Sessions (Forged)

Probably my favourite recording of all this year. UK bass player of Hungarian extraction explores his roots and teams up with an Anglo-Hungarian band. Themes based on Hungarian folk music, improvisation based on jazz. Life-enhancing music.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

My odd-duck guilty-pleasure is the Blue Note-Italy release of Nicola Conte's "New Directions".  Not-so-hard-modal-acid-skoochie-bop if that's what you call it.  (it's entirety rises above the two cuts that are absolute dreck!) 

here's yet another prod then.