paul secor

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Etta James,

Al Greene [forget the Righteous Bros. version of "Unchained Melody],

Marvin Gaye,

Johnnie Ray [not everything, Lord knows, but his "High Drama, The Real Johnnie Ray" has a kick-ass version of "Lotos Blossom" and other tracks, which will knock your socks off.]

and

Odetta [Yes, Odetta]

Edited by patricia

"Favorite Soul Singer"? Might as well ask me to pick my favorite finger, or my favorite ventricle, or my favorite eye... ;)

Ann Peebles, anybody? Ted Taylor? Johnnie Taylor? Joe Tex? Irma Thomas? Rufus Thomas? Carla Thomas? Tina Turner (those not old enough to remember best go check out those earlier Ike & Tina sides, the ones you had to listen to "certain stations" to hear)?

Did somebody say Laura Lee? Betty Wright? Joe Simon? ClarenceCarter? Tyrone Davis? (if you like the beggin'...)

The list(s) go(es) on - this is an incredible deep well.

Oh yeah...

Marvin has a special place in my heart, mind and soul. A rather serious place in fact. But to think of him as a "soul singer" is to me somewhat the equivalent of thinking of Ellington as a "jazz piano player". It's a TRUE description, just not neccessarily a COMPLETE one.

i think these "favorite" polls are a bit tongue in cheek. at least that's the way i take them. saying anyone is your favorite anything is tough....much less something a wide and varied as soul singers.

and if it really came to push and shove...the Pilgrim Travelers are really my favorite "soul" singers. ;)

In the great American tradition of "vote early and vote often", I'm going to mention Lorraine Ellison. She recorded a classic album, Stay with Me, which should be heard by anyone who loves great singers - I guess that includes everyone here. "Only Your Love" and "Stay with Me" are pure gems. If you want to hear what a truly soulful Dionne Warwick would sound like, check out "I'm Gonna Cry Til My Tears Run Dry". And if you're interested in hearing "Try (Just a Little Bit Harder)" before Janis Joplin got hold of it, this record is the place to go. She never really made it in the popular music world, and returned to the world of true soul music, gospel, before she passed.

Thanks for mentioning William Bell in your last post, Soul Stream. I consider him to be one of the most underrated soul singers, and certainly one of the best. Has anybody kept tabs on him? What is he doing these days? Does he still have his full voice?

Otis Clay is another living, breathing soul giant who is too often ignored, especially by record companies. He still has his pipes, and, as far as I am concerned, no recording has yet captured him at anything close to his peak. "Soul Man Live in Japan" comes the closest. But I have been at shows that took it all at least two phases higher than that. As far as I know, Clay hasn't recorded anything in the last 3-4 years or so. That is a crime. I consider him to be one of the all time greats.

Speaking of unsung soul giants, I hope that some of you have had the chance to hear Bettye LaVette's new disk: "A Woman Like Me." Deep, mature, and intense.

I don't even think that Wilson Pickett has been mentioned yet. Or Solomon Burke. Gladys Knight? Bobby Bland? Mavis Staple? David Ruffin? Bobby Womack? Stevie Wonder? Linda Jones? Little Willie John?....

Edited by John L

Howard Tate. I picked up the Verve reissue several years ago and it is a killer soul album. "Get It While You Can" is an all-time classic, and his voice is tremendous.

Irma Thomas - her New Orleans tracks from the 60's are dramatic show stoppers, every single one! Get the Raxor & Tie or the Kent reissue cds, those are great compilations. "Time is on My Side" (yes, later covered by the Rolling Stones) is here, as well as many others. My favorite female soul singer, although Ann Peebles runs a close second. Get the A & B Hi singles for Peebles' compilation.

Glad that you mentioned Johnny Taylor, JSngry. I've been listening to a lot of him the past year. What an incredible voice.

Donny Hathaway: What can I say? Those two live records are masterpieces. His band was so bad. His voice is beyond comparison. I agree with Soul Stream. He was so much more than just a soul singer.

That's probably why no one has mentioned Stevie Wonder. He transcends all titles. He has one of the greatest voices of all time, in any genre.

Ron Isley is a bad mofo too.

Otis Redding... good Lord!

Marvin Gaye... I was just talking about him with my wife the other day. At the end of "Distant Lover" when he starts pleading and screaming his heart out... I get chills in my back and tears in my eyes every single time I hear that. That is true, from the heart, deep down soul singing there.

So many greats. I can't find one modern singer of the "neo soul" school that even begins to compare. For one thing, none of them know how to craft a good song. They come up with four bars of music with a funky beat and that's it. No chorus, no bridge, no verses. Just the same thing over and over. BORING.

Guest Mnytime

James Brown

Marvin Gaye

Otis Redding

Sam Cooke

Jackie Wilson-surprised no one has mentioned Jackie.

Aretha-her early stuff. I really haven’t liked anything she has put out for close to 30 years now.

Edited by Mnytime

Have to agree with Jsngry,it's fave singers really-Mnytime flags up the omission so far of Mr. Wilson(a heavenly voice)but I must say if you've made it as a "soul" singer then what more is there to say?Anyone out there with me on the I'd rather listen to Dionne Warwick than Aretha front tho'?

Awww. Nobody has mentioned Craig David ;)

Actually isn't it Craaaaeeg Dayayayvieed.....

if he hasn't hit America yet, just wait....he's even wheeled Sting back out to duet with.

BTW, has anyone ever seen that documentary of Marvin at the North Sea Festival in Holland? --- real poignant stuff. Pathos wasn't a word people used until they saw this film.

Jackie Wilson, got an old vinyl anthology of his --- a mixed bag, but when he is on top form he has one hell of a thing going.

cheers.

In no particular order: Otis Redding, James Caar, Solomon Burke, Etta James,

Irma Thomas, Aretha Franklin, Sam and Dave and all those other greats on Stax whose names aren't comming to mind right now, Al Green, Ann Peebles, and the GREATEST of them all, Ray Charles who invented the whole thing.

Ah, Sweet Soul Music...

Anybody ever hear "Rainy Night In Georgia"? How about a little love for Brook Benton! If for no other reason ya' gotta give Eddie Floyd "props" for "Knock On Wood"

How about Clarence Carter, Joe Tex, Arthur Conley, Lou Rawls, Archie Bell & The Drells?

Ah, Sweet Soul Music...

Anybody ever hear "Rainy Night In Georgia"? How about a little love for Brook Benton! If for no other reason ya' gotta give Eddie Floyd "props" for "Knock On Wood"

How about Clarence Carter, Joe Tex, Arthur Conley, Lou Rawls, Archie Bell & The Drells?

Forgive me for not mentioning Jackie Wilson and Brooke Benton. Benton particularly. I'm still looking for the album on which he does a great version of "Walk on the Wild Side" that rivals both Elmer Bernstein's and Jimmy Smith's. Add that to "Lie To Me" and there you go.

I didn't put Ray Charles on my list and should be flogged. :)