Anyone get the new Nirvana set yet????

BERIGAN

Well, a quick search of Nirvana shows the what are you listening to now thread had two quick comments, but wanted to see if others had comments.....just checked out Rolling stone review...kinda interesting...I was hoping for both remastered old stuff and lots of outtakes, but seems to be all outtakes and rarites...not a bad thing with a band like this...so...should I take the plunge???

A friend of mine bought the set for me when Target had it on sale for $28. My take on it so far is mixed. I have no problem with the sound quality, as a lot of these tracks were never meant for release. There is a lot of fantastic music, some of which rivals the best of the officially released tracks, but there is also a lot of outtakes that never needed to be heard. The DVD isn't something I will be going back to very often, especially the home rehearsal from 1988 where Kurt is staring at a wall away from the camera half of the time.

If you are a big fan of NIrvana and can get a good deal on the set it is worth grabbing.

I was going to let it pass as I already had most of it on boots, but I too became a 1st time shopper of music at Target. For $28 it's better than OK, and the sound has been improved upon on many of the circulating demos. The Ledbetter tracks are well worth hearing. If ever there was a case for iTunes, this may be it. As John notes the majority of the DVD won't be played much as the 1988 basement rehearsal is more interesting (& funny the 1st time) than good.

I suppose if you haven't heard any of the rarities perhaps I'd rate it a bit higher, as they pluck most of the good ones, and several that hadn't circulated. But there is a fair amount that probably was better left on the scrap heap too.

Thumbs up if you find for under $30, less enthusiastic if you pay more. (Hmm, I'm just repeating what John said. :w)

Good for fans, not for the casual listener...

Does yours have the heat-sensitive box? Press your hands for awhile on the box and they will change from that dark purple to white! And you'll be able to read all the master-tape boxes...

B-)

Also, I have no problem with the sound. This ain't audiophile stuff in the first place...

• 7 years later...