Von Freeman Corner

John B

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

Offer closed. Rooster_Ties and Bill, I'll send out your box sets tomorrow.

:)

:excited::excited::excited:

Now that I've got my heart started again after the shock to the system generated by that erroneous listserv post...

Wow!

Thanks!!!!!

I really hope they didn't mean George.

Oh, and Von's live session with Willis Jackson on Muse is most enjoyable. Listening to Von with Boogaloo Joe Jones & co, is very different!

MG

Got that one as "Locking Horns" on a 32 Jazz CD reissue - indeed not bad!

As for that box set - another of those stupid best ofs with some prev. unissued titles, so everyone has to buy it... I guess I'll rather get the two latest Premonition albums first.

Since I last posted here I found the two Nessa/Chief albums and bought three of the Steeplechases - all mighty fine music there!

What do people think of the Brad Goode/Vonski "Inside Chicago" discs on Steeplechase? I just got Vols. 3 & 4 which are part of a small Steeplechase sale on abeillemusique.com (I also got the Gillspie 1959 "Copenhagen Concert" and Walt Dickerson's "To My Queen Revisited").

I enjoyed them, but don't think they are necessarily essential. Soem nice blowing by both. I will have to check out that sale. There are a few Dickerson recordings on SteepleChase that I would like to add to the collection.

You know, somebody on this very board was on a couple (released) live dates with Von...

f61920e607k.jpgf80477t3334.jpg

Hey Free, any thoughts on these?? Any other performance(s) with Von??

Has anybody else here played with Von??

I'm aware of that, of course! I also have his own disc, "Gallery", which is very good!

Is he (are you, in case you're reading, Free for All!) only on these two volumes?

"Young and Foolish" was recently reissued on CD. Anybody seeking immediate musical inspiration would be advised to pick it up.

For some reason that disc has been difficult for me to locate.

Downloading from emusic or iTunes is one possibility. That is what I did.

"Young and Foolish" was recently reissued on CD. Anybody seeking immediate musical inspiration would be advised to pick it up.

Thanks for the info, but the collector in me prefers the actual factory manufactured CD with all the art work and any liner notes.

Guest Bill Barton

Thanks for the info, but the collector in me prefers the actual factory manufactured CD with all the art work and any liner notes.

Never would of guessed that you are a "collector" :lol:

tstampc.jpg

:ph34r:

I suppose I could have mentioned that I do already have the music in my collection in the form of a copy of the radio broadcast that the CD was presumably taken from. The only thing a download would do for me right now would be a possible sonic upgrade as my copy probably likely came from a cassette of the broadcast that was eventually converted to CDR.

I did notice today that J&R has the recording for a reasonable price, but I think that is a prior issue. I think I read somewhere (possibly the label's website) that the recent edition is upgraded sonically. If I am going to purchase it, I might as well get the best one available. Unless of course someone could tell me the original 90s release is fine enough.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Guess what? I should have known about the additional tracks on the Premonition set, huh?

Oh well... amongst my other recent Vonski acquisitions is a disc on the Southport label, Fire with Von Freeman - not sure it's been discussed here before, I only found out browsing for more Vonski - and of course had to order a copy-

e98911kix91.jpg

Now, there's a singer involved, by name of Joanie Pallatto (allmusic bio), needless to say I've not heard of her. Might keep some from buying this disc, but her singing on the opening song, "The Thin Line", is mighty fine! Freeman's in good shape, as always. Michael Raynor and Tatsu Aoki are on drums and bass, while Bradley Parker-Sparrow, who runs the Southport label with Pallatto. Freeman had already appeared on one of Pallatto's earlier discs, Passing Tones. He also played on what seems to be a King Fleming disc under nominal leadership of Pallatto, The King and I. Anyone knows these? Worth getting?