New jazz book...

There's this new jazz book just out called "Weather Bird." It's a collection of essays by this guy Gary Giddins...anyone ever heard of him? Anyway, the book's really great; this guy seems to know what he's talking/writing about. Anyone else checked it out yet? (Don't know why he called it "Weather Bird" though. It doesn't have anything to do with meteorology.)

This one is not new. It is a just reissued limited edition of the famous series of Jazz paintings by Henri Matisse...

http://fr.kelkoo.com/sitesearch/go.jsp?off...2iox1.JA4fr&orw

Wish I could afford it! Price in dollars is around $650.

The link is in French. You can view three of the prints by clicking on 'Feuilletez les pages'.

Gary is an old friend of mine - we used to take baths together, as his mother and my mother were cousins - actually, his mother was married to her cousin, but that's another story. When we were 6 years old he poked a sharp stick into my eye, blinding me but making it much easier for me to beg pennies on the streeets of Atlanta - though having grown up in NYC I'm not really sure how I got there(Gary did walk me to the subway one morning, and I did wonder why they kept saying: "train to Atlanta") -

Edited by AllenLowe

This one is not new. It is a just reissued limited edition of the famous series of Jazz paintings by Henri Matisse...

The link is in French. You can view three of the prints by clicking on 'Feuilletez les pages'.

My paperback version only cost $22.50. I scanned a page from it for my birthday greeting to Lonson/Jazzbo...

Edited by Christiern

Brownie,

A friend gave me a high quality Matisse "JAZZ" calendar many years ago. I framed several of the prints, and rotated them on the walls of my office at the university. In some unfortunate manner related to "mass culture" (ref.: Walter Benjamin's famous essay "The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility") these images have become quite ubiquitous here in card shops, posters etc. Too bad .... Are they commonly found in Europe too?

Garth.

Gary is an old friend of mine - we used to take baths together, as his mother and my mother were cousins - actually, his mother was married to her cousin, but that's another story. When we were 6 years old he poked a sharp stick into my eye, blinding me but making it much easier for me to beg pennies on the streeets of Atlanta - though having grown up in NYC I'm not really sure how I got there(Gary did walk me to the subway one morning, and I did wonder why they kept saying: "train to Atlanta") -

Geez Allen, You should become a blues singer!

For obvious reasons you remind me of a character I used to talk about on my lamented jazz radio show .. Blind, Crippled John Horribly ...

Brownie,

A friend gave me a high quality Matisse "JAZZ" calendar many years ago. I framed several of the prints, and rotated them on the walls of my office at the university. In some unfortunate manner related to "mass culture" (ref.: Walter Benjamin's famous essay "The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility") these images have become quite ubiquitous here in card shops, posters etc. Too bad .... Are they commonly found in Europe too?

Garth.

Garth, oh yes! Those Matisse have become part of the mass culture around here. There are yearly calendars using the paintings, postcards of them all around...

They have influenced home decorating, fashion designs.

Not that any of this has disminished their beauty!

I have seen a number of reproductions. The ones in this deluxe book come closest to the original paintings I have seen.