Overlooked Guitarists

Brad

Oscar Moore, yes indeed.  He was celebrated when he was with the Cole Trio and boy did he do some excellent work then (and later!)  A great player indeed.

"later?" I understand that he quit the music business and became a bricklayer in Nevada where he died.

Moore left Cole around 1949, but worked and recorded after that, first with The Three Blazers (with his brother Johnny). He recorded two very good albums of his own in the 50's, one on Skylark (later reissued on Tampa), and one on Tampa. There was a 50's session with Carl Perkins, Joe Comfort, and George Jenkins that was released on the Norgran LP "Swing Guitars" (see my avatar). He became a bricklayer for a short time in the late 50's, but returned to playing in the 60's (recorded a Cole tribute album... I've forgotten the label that was on). There was also a 1962 LP on the Charlie Parker label... but I'm thinking that was a reissue of one of the earlier albums...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Alfred Of The Amazon"? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0185281/

From http://ctva.freewebpage.org/US/Comedy/VacationPlayhouse.htm it appears that this was a one-time airing of an unsold pilot, but the description fits:

Vacation Playhouse: ALFRED OF THE AMAZON (Unsold Comedy Pilot)

31Jul1967 CBS Monday

Produced by Arne Rosen, Gene Reynolds

starring

Wally Cox as Alfred

Paul Hartman as Dr. Schwimmer

Mako as Simba

Allan Melvin as Willie

Susan Odin as Jennifer

Leon Askin as Herr Futterman

The exploits of Alfred of the Amazons, a bumbling jungle adventurer

and plantation owner who fights injustice in his spare time.

Sorry, Jim R. But looking back I suddenly realize that the presence of any visual cue in the midst of printed material -- like your "thumbs up" sign in this case -- tends to blot out from my brain anything and everything that follows it. I'm told that the CIA is investigating this principle, so watch out. :unsure:

Sorry, Jim R. But looking back I suddenly realize that the presence of any visual cue in the midst of printed material -- like your "thumbs up" sign in this case -- tends to blot out from my brain anything and everything that follows it. I'm told that the CIA is investigating this principle, so watch out. :unsure:

:D ... :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup ... :unsure:Geez, is that Larry Kart guy SLOW, or what?

;)

Is it at all possible that Cox was in the commercials but not the show they appered with?

I suppose it is, Jim. Unfortunately, "Alfred of the Amazon" doesn't ring a single bell for me. Ah well, maybe someday I'll uncover some info someplace that will match up with my recollection. Thanks for helpin'. :tup

BTW, that Vacation Playhouse page was a kick to scroll through. Just seeing the names of some of the actors brings back memories.

Guys, I know about Underdog. I'm talking about a show (not a cartoon) that was unsuccessful- I don't know if it even ran for a complete season. Cox starred as some kind of nerdy (of course) superhero. I can't remember any other details. I thought it might have been called "Captain Fantastic". As I recall, there was a show on another network with a similar theme, with a title along the lines of "Mr. Wonderful". I can picture the star's face, but can't remember his name. I'm thinking these were on in '68, because a Google search revealed that Cox was in some Sport Cola ads in '68, and I associate the experience of seeing the show in conjunction with those ads. I suppose it could have been slightly earlier... possibly '66 or '67.

The trouble with the Google searches I've tried is that I keep getting too many hits related to "Mr. Peepers", "Hiram Holiday", "Underdog", and "The Hollywood Squares". Does anybody know of a good source of info for TV shows that flopped? I could swear I had seen a reference to this show online a few years ago...

William Daniels, who looked a lot like Wally Cox, starred as "Captain Nice." This series and a remarkably similar one on CBS called "Mr. Terrific" (1967) which starred Stephen Strimpel, both debuted the same evening, 9 January 1967. Both aired their last episode on 28 August 28 1968. Neither was a big enough hit to justify being renewed for a second season.

I actually enjoyed "Captain Nice," and William Daniels is a very fine actor ...

Guys, I know about Underdog.  I'm talking about a show (not a cartoon) that was unsuccessful- I don't know if it even ran for a complete season.  Cox starred as some kind of nerdy (of course) superhero.  I can't remember any other details.  I thought it might have been called "Captain Fantastic".  As I recall, there was a show on another network with a similar theme, with a title along the lines of "Mr. Wonderful".  I can picture the star's face, but can't remember his name.  I'm thinking these were on in '68, because a Google search revealed that Cox was in some Sport Cola ads in '68, and I associate the experience of seeing the show in conjunction with those ads.  I suppose it could have been slightly earlier... possibly '66 or '67.

The trouble with the Google searches I've tried is that I keep getting too many hits related to "Mr. Peepers", "Hiram Holiday", "Underdog", and "The Hollywood Squares".  Does anybody know of a good source of info for TV shows that flopped?  I could swear I had seen a reference to this show online a few years ago...

William Daniels, who looked a lot like Wally Cox, starred as "Captain Nice." This series and a remarkably similar one on CBS called "Mr. Terrific" (1967) which starred Stephen Strimpel, both debuted the same evening, 9 January 1967. Both aired their last episode on 28 August 28 1968. Neither was a big enough hit to justify being renewed for a second season.

I actually enjoyed "Captain Nice," and William Daniels is a very fine actor ...

HALLELUJAH!!!!

You have NO idea how much I appreciate that, Garth. Will you marry me? :g

WHERE did you find that info?

Thanks for the marriage proposal Jim .. I am single, quite presentable, and financially secure .... what do YOU bring to the table??

Hmmmmmm .. well you might be a professional guitarist, but I am a professional communications historian ... seriously, I teach communications at the University of Houston, and my specialty is media history ... BUT, I will not lie.. I actually remembered the William Daniels series, and looked up the dates in "Les Brown's Encyclopedia of Television" ... I had forgoten about "Mr. Terrific" ... and VCRs were not readily available in those days to allow for recording of similtaneous shows .... so I did not see much of it.

BTW, the Brown Encyclopedia can usually be found used for a good price ...

Edited by garthsj

Thanks for the marriage proposal Jim .. I am single, quite presentable, and financially secure .... what do YOU bring to the table??

:D Sorry, I got carried away. ;) I'm happily married (22 years now). I got quite frustrated yesterday searching for information on those two shows, and you really did make my day (maybe my week). Too bad I had both titles wrong, one star wrong, and drew a blank on the name of the other star. :rolleyes:

I just found a link to a short trailer (?) for Captain Nice:

http://www.tvparty.com/g2h/captnicepromo.ram