Another BN Trivia Question

JSngry

Ok, I don't want no trouble with the Trivia Police, so let me add that the hit album in question was on a Motown subsidiary label, not the Motown label per se.

But the artist whose album it was was/is easily, readily, and ubiquitously refered to as a "Motown" artist, and justly so, matters of actual label notwithstanding.

Trevor Lawrence?

Bingo! :tup

Now, for bonus points, name both albums in question.

AND...

For even more bonus points, weave the tale of interrelation between Lawrence's recordings and the Motown artist's songs as they relate to BN! (Hint: it starts with the BN album in question and continues beyond the BN label proper).

This is one of those coincidental things that falls into the category of "meaningless yet fascinating", or-vice versa.

You googled yourself some bonus points. Those are indeed the albums in question. :tup The first by Reuben Wilson, the second by, of course, Marvin Gaye.

Now, the final frontier (and I'll answer it myself, since ON BROADWAY is a pretty obscure side) - the final Trevor Lawrence/Marvin Gaye/Blue Note "loop" (such as it is).

ON BROADWAY feature Lawrence on a take of Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar" (in an arrangement strongly modeled after John Patton's on GOT A GOOD THING GOIN'). A few years later, Lawrence pops on on Gaye's TROUBLE MAN album, being featured throughout the album as soloist/obbligatoist. One of the tunes on that album is "Don't Mess With Mister T", which is covered as the title tune of a fairly successful CTI album by former Blue Note star Stanley Turrentine in an arrangement strongly modeled after Gaye's & Lawrence's version.

So you can draw a direct line from a specific Marvin Gaye song to Blue Note (twice, in fact...) back to another specific Marvin Gaye song back to somebody who was a prominent Blue Note artist not too long before (and who might well have recorded the tune for Blue Note if he had stayed with the label...). Like I said, ultimately meaningless, but nevertheless interesting, albeit in a totally geeky kind of way. But hey - what are we if not geeks?

Now, how many more degrees until we get to Kevin Bacon? :g:g:g

Guest ariceffron

THIS IS BULLSHIT. WHAT THE HELL BN LPS WAS THAT GUY ON ANYWAY. I BET ALL OF THEM COMBINED ARENT AS GOOD AS HOOTIN 'N TOOTIN. IS THAT OOP STILL? BLUE NOTE IS CRAZY IF THAT ISNT REISSUED. E.V.D. IS ONE OF THE ONLY PEOPLE EVER TO MAKE A BN ORGAN LP W/ THAT WET TYPE OF SOUND ALA S. SCOTT

NO ARIC, THIS IS NOT BULLSHIT. THIS IS FACTS.

Trevor Lawrence played on Reuben Wilson's ON BROADWAY (BST-84295).

bluenote3%20049_1.jpg

THE REST YOU CAN CONFIRM YOURSELF.

And if I'm wrong, you can have my list of hot redhead female jazz fans across the USA. There's more than you think...

But if I'm right, I get to come to your house and take all your tapes. Every last one of them.

Deal?