Art Taylor

Late

Guest akanalog

i never really cared for cobb's playing.

i just heard art taylor's blue note album "at's delight" for the first time. i wasn't expecting too much, figured it would be a rote hard boppish session, but i was pleasantly surprised. i was very impressed by this album. i always thought of taylor as very good, but missing that special something-but i think he offers more than i initially suspected.

i am still not crazy about cobb, however.

i just saw him recently at smoke, actually. it was good to see he is still doing his thing and he did seem more forceful, but back in the day i think i find his touch a little light.

i also don't love higgins for the opposite reason-i find him a little heavy sometimes.

Go figure.  I'm just not a Taylor fan really. . . I'd rather hear Cobb.  Res gustibus non disputandae sunt.

I like A. Taylor and the correct quote is "De gustibus non est disputandum".

I couldn't resist to correct someone in an english based forum! ;)

Edited by porcy62

Guest youmustbe

Yeah, AT did rush, maybe more correct to say, his time wasn't always steady.

When he was with Bud, in the trio, when Bud would start meandering, AT would drop a bomb or two, in the wrong placer to wake Bud up.

When Ed Thigpe was on drums, Ed would actually yell 'Bud", and Bud would snap out of it.

Guest youmustbe

oops...Thigpen, of course.

BTW Philly Joe and Max used to get a lot of grief, and rightly so, for being loud and drowning out the soloists, but after all these many years, they sure sound GREAT!!

Of course AT had chops, but wasn't nearly as variable in his soloing as Philly Joe or Cobb - AT's solos are more or less a series of technical phrases. He was more assured of the technical side of drumming than Cobb, but I miss the springy light beat that Cobb had, and the elegance, together with the drive. Just a matter of taste, of course.

I generally prefer drummers who try something else than just aligning drumtechnical patterns.

The Monk album king ubu mentioned, BTW, is my favourite AT - I like him best with Monk.

Who was it on here who said, solos for drummers are not , a 'bonus?'

I will have to agree with you. Espcially if you're a jazz drummer, you might not know when someone in the group will tell you to solo. My first gig, we were playing All Blues, after the bassist took a solo, he shouted out to the guitarist, "Let's give it to the kid!" (meaning me, on drums) If i had no training soloing, i would be very lost. Soloing is a big part of jazz drumming. Let's face it, if a jazz drummer never soloed, it probaly will get boring. Or at least, the drumming.