First Miles & Wayne tracks

Aggie87

Okay, so I've been working my way through the Miles Davis/Gil Evans box. I had the Quiet Nights CD previously, so hadn't played the corresponding disc in the box set before tonight.

As I do, some of the tracks I've not heard before jump out at me - "Blue XMas", "Nothing Like You", and "Devil May Care". These are from August 21/23 1962, and are performed by a core group of Davis, Wayne Shorter, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb, Frank Rehak (trombone) and Willie Bobo. The first two tracks include Bob Dorough on vocals. "Devil May Care" is just the sextet as listed, and is the most interesting to me. Not completely sure I care for Dorough's vocals, but the music isn't bad.

I realize that "Nothing Like You" showed up on Sorcerer in 1967. I don't have the single disc issue of that album, just the material that's on the 65-68 Quintet box, which doesn't include that track (as it's not performed by the quintet, I assume). So this tune is fresh to my ears, along with the other two tracks.

However, what's odd to me is that the 65-68 box notes seem to imply that Shorter wasn't that familiar with Miles' music when he was approached about joining the group. Or at least Miles wasn't sure of Shorter's familiarity, at any rate. Yet they had played these three tracks together in 1962, so it would seem that they knew of each other's music and abilities, and had more than just a passing awareness of one another. Or at least a bit more than the notes indicate, as I read them. Am I missing something? Did they play together anywhere else prior to Wayne joining the quintet? After checking Miles' autobiography, he states this was the first time he played with Shorter.

I'm not sure what it says in the notes to the quintet box which I don't have, but here is what is recounted in Jack Chambers' book Milestones (first edition, paperback, end of chapter 10). Wayne refers to his familiarity with Miles' music; Wayne has recounted this anecdote a number of times. Chambers' quote is from a 1982 article in DB (Wayne Shorter: Coming Home) by James Liska.

'I joined and we opened at the Hollywood Bowl playing 'Joshua'. And we had no rehearsal. Miles had said in the dressing room, 'Do you know my music?' And I said, 'Yeah.' He said, 'Oh-oh.' Then we went on. For six years.'

Bertrand.

'I joined and we opened at the Hollywood Bowl playing 'Joshua'. And we had no rehearsal. Miles had said in the dressing room, 'Do you know my music?' And I said, 'Yeah.' He said, 'Oh-oh.' Then we went on. For six years.'

Bertrand.

This quote is repeated in the Quintet box set notes

So did Miles & Wayne not perform or record together again from Aug 62 until Wayne joined the quintet? In some ways it still sounds to me like they're over-exaggerating Wayne and Miles' unfamiarity with one another, in the description(s) of when he joined the group.

Ah well, I guess I'm reading more into it than what is there...

Actually that's a good point! How would he have been as familiar with Miles' work as he claimed to be? To have that conversation with Miles and then for them to go out immediately and perform, unrehearsed?

It's amazing they clicked so quickly, and a testament to Shorter's ability to fit in so quickly.

Well, the live repertoire was not all new originals, not by any stretch of the imagination. A couple of Victor Feldman pieces; Milestones, All Blues, and So What all at breakneck speed; then the old favorites: My Funny Valentine, Walkin', etc. Check the setlists from the Japan tour with Rivers, or the various live shows with Coleman.

The repertoire was the least of the problems. It's the ensemble conception that was different.

Shorter claims that he played along with the Miles records. I don't doubt this.

Mike

Only at festivals really, it seems. Here's one for certain:

French Lick, IN 8/2/59 - Shorter's first gig with the Messengers

I have other instances where they played the same festival but a day apart. (Randall's Island 1961, Los Angeles Jazz Festival 1960)

There are a number of times when they were playing in the same town.

But I haven't done the Miles chronology with nearly as much detail as the Blakey.

Mike