Least Favorite Albums

Jazz Kat

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, there's no "bad", REALLY bad, as in poorly performed and/or produced to the point of being unprofessional,BN records from the era specified. Some are more to my liking than others, and some get thier groove on better than others, but outright BAD? None that I can think of.

So, "worst" in this cse translates as "least favorite", at least in my mind. Thus my choice of the Wilson. I could probably include the two Monk Higgins-produced Blue Mitchell sides, and maybe some of the later Liberty-era Three Sounds sides, although having not yet heard them, that's just a hunch. Not "bad", just not worth spending the time on even once. Or, at best, no more than once.

But GO? C'mon dude, that's just WRONG!!! ;)

Hot Dog is the worst and most inept attempt at funk that I have ever heard, and that's saying something -

Dude, you have got to be kidding. Lou's bands in the mid 60's-early 70's were totally fun. It's not music for intense listening, but it's dance music, which is exactly what it was supposed to be. I can be fairly certain that Lou didn't walk into the studio and say, "hey fellas, today, I want to cut my masterpiece!" I am pretty sure he was sayin' "hey fellas, I want to make a great ass shakin' record!" And if he did say that, he totally succeeded.

BTW, Idris rules.

I bet Lou walked into the studio sayin', "Hey fellas, let's knock this out and go get a sammich."

I'm thinking they had the sammiches delivered. That album is the sound of a band full of food, booze and God only knows what else. But, dammit, it's FUN.

Maybe it's the Idris thing (my other favorite drummer, besides Elvin), but this album just makes me smile. But then again, so does Alive by Grant Green, and I've never seen anyone say anything positive about that record.

I guess we'll just disagree about Hot Dog. To me, it was one of the most successful demonstrations of funky soul-jazz. A continuation of Alligator Bogaloo, Midnight Creeper, Mr. Shing-a-ling. Although Charles Earland is now on board for Hot Dog, the rest of the personel is basically the same guys.

I respect you don't dig Hot Dog, but I am curious if you like Lou's other 60's soul jazz organ records. If so, how do you see Hot Dog as different from the others.

I'm receptive to other views, I mean in "Jackie McLean On Mars," Jackie states basically..."Lou Donaldson is one of the greatest living alto players today, do you think he WANTS to be playing Hot Dog!?"

I have one of 'em. Power of Soul. I'll tell you the setting I really like him in though: Ahmad Jamal's band. He brings out some stuff in Ahmad that I really like. They make for a great team. The Lou Donaldson stuff is all just as fun as can be, and Alive is just the shit. He drives that band like a GTO. (Ronnie Foster rules on that thing too. Why didn't he ever do more stuff like that?) He killed with Rodney Jones, too. What a band this was: Rodney Jones (g), Dr. Lonnie (org), Fred Wesley (tb), Arthur Blythe (as), Idris (d), at the Boulevard Cafe (a cool lil hippie/jam band place on Chicago's west side). I shoulda recorded that one...

So, "worst" in this cse translates as "least favorite", at least in my mind. Thus my choice of the Wilson. I could probably include the two Monk Higgins-produced Blue Mitchell sides, and maybe some of the later Liberty-era Three Sounds sides, although having not yet heard them, that's just a hunch. Not "bad", just not worth spending the time on even once. Or, at best, no more than once.

I wasn't in a hurry to send you the Bubba side but now I think I am going to have to test your theory by sending you Soul Symphony.

I wasn't in a hurry to send you the Bubba side but now I think I am going to have to test your theory by sending you Soul Symphony.

Cool!

Is that the one w/Oliver Nelson?

Cool!

Is that the one w/Oliver Nelson?

No, it was the Nelson Orchestra on Coldwater Flat, but I could throw that in, too.

Soul Symphony was a Monk Higgins, and IMO, taken on its original intents and purposes, not nearly so bad as you expect. (Actually, if you expect loads of Gene Harris, its pretty darn good).

How's that for a ringing endorsement?

Now I've always liked New Perspective, good feel about it, not groundbreaking stuff, but just feels nice.

My most pressing dislike is Kenny Dorham's 'Whistle Stop'. The compositions aren't much cop and the band sound stilted IMO. More reasons here on another Org post.

Possibly a dissapointment when lined up next to other KD recordings though?

aww, I love Whistle Stop. :(

Another vote for "New Perspective". Since I haven't heard "Whistle Stop" though the jury is still out on that one.