Least Favorite Albums

Jazz Kat

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Benson, who is a huge Green fanatic said "The Latin Bit" was his favorite Green album. Also, to each his own...but I really dig the cover. I could see how some could think it's corny given that most all BN covers are of session pictures. Works for me though.

I like "The Latin bit" - and since it's Grant Green's birthday today, I have to say

GG LIVES!

But the way he just plays the tune of "Besame mucho" is so wonderful - totally himself, even though he's doing hardly anything to the tune itself - just the occasional bent note that hits you in the stomach...

MG

I have the JRVG of Bossa Nova Soul Samba and it's incredible sounding!

Warm and "tubey" sounding. :tup

I've got that on LP - what does "tubey sounding" mean. Should I get the RVG?

MG

Sounds analog-y...not digital.

Tube electronics vs Solid-State electronics.

If you've got the Lp, you've already got an RVG...heh... :)

Edited by Parkertown

I've got that on LP - what does "tubey sounding" mean. Should I get the RVG?

MG

Sounds analog-y...not digital.

Tube electronics vs Solid-State electronics.

If you've got the Lp, you've already got an RVG...heh... :)

Just as FYI: Solid state electronics (which is really poor terminology, but that's not your fault) are not synonomous with digital.

I have the Classic vinyl reissue, never listen again after I bought it. I'll do it now: just to check if is "warm and "tubey" sounding." Tho I have a tube preamp so I presume most of my records sound "tubey". ;)

Just as FYI: Solid state electronics (which is really poor terminology, but that's not your fault) are not synonomous with digital.

Yep, they started to sell consumer's "solid state" electronics since fifties. At those time you could still buy a Lexington pressing at your local store. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor#Introduction

I have the Classic vinyl reissue, never listen again after I bought it. I'll do it now: just to check if is "warm and "tubey" sounding." Tho I have a tube preamp so I presume most of my records sound "tubey". ;)

When did Classic press this? You're not thinking "Bossa Nova Bacchanal" are you?

I'd love to have a Classic pressing of this...

When did Classic press this? You're not thinking "Bossa Nova Bacchanal" are you?

I'd love to have a Classic pressing of this...

No, it's Soul Samba. I don't remember when I bought it, I just discovered it's OOP.

BTW It has a "tubey" sound, tho all my other Quebec's original pressings sound pretty "tubey". I am listening a NY mono pressing of Heavy Soul and "Nature Boy" is pure lush tubey :)

Edited by porcy62

Some of you have mentioned Young's Of Love and Peace as not being some of your favorites, but I like this disc quite a bit. I like the set-up with two drummers and in fact, I don't even mind Eddie Gale. I think he fits right in the vortex of sound that they create, especially on the first track. The only tune that seems to slightly suffer is the Miles' cover. But other than that, I put this one right up there with Mothership. These albums are badass!

I feel the exact opposite. Although I do like the record as a whole, I think Eddie Gale detracts from the experience a lot. Being a trumpet player, I don't appreciate him basically s***ing all over Seven Steps to Heaven...I mean, he can't even play the melody??? If only they had Freddie Hubbard, or Woody Shaw...