Bronislaw Kaper's "Invitation"

Late

What a gorgeous tune. Did Kaper ever compose another of its magnitude?

Do you have a favorite version? I just got done listening to Coltrane's (with Wilbur Harden), and like it, but I think that Joe Henderson's version is still my favorite.

Who's version should we make sure not to miss?

There is an eerily beautiful version of this on the Stan Getz 'Dynasty' album. The tune is a feature for Rene Thomas on guitar. Getz does not play on this one!

And I'm with Late. I like the John Coltrane version of 'Invitation' on the Prestige 'The Standard Coltrane' album.

Edited by brownie

The first time I heard the song was on the Art Blakey "Impulse" album, Bobby Timmons last appearance with the band (underwhelming) and on an Elvin Jones "Blue Note" (with Joe Farrell?). My current favorite version is the Maynard Ferguson disco-jazz performance on the recently reissued "New Vintage" (or maybe it was "Primal Scream" - they're pretty much the same album) - they pull out all the stops!

Edited by DMP

Wait a minute - I think I'm wrong about the Elvin Jones "Blue Note" - the song might have been "A Time For Love." Also a nice tune, but it gets forgotten - it was pushed at the time as a sort-of follow-up to "Shadow of Your Smile." But I'm standing by Maynard, female vocals and all.

• 10 months later...

Two of my favorites :

1) Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers on Impulse from 1961 .

Doleful , moody , atmospheric version with a muted Lee Morgan taking the melody ,

Curtis Fuller with a muted solo and best of all , Wayne Shorter , whose plangent tone

is so well suited to this material . Well recorded as well .

2) Stan Getz on Columbia from 1975 ( album called " The Master " ) .

This is an exuberant , swinging quartet with Albert Dailey and Billy Hart providing

terrific support .