Free Jazz Recommendations

Jazzmoose

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't neglect Coltrane's "Ascension", which I've been listening to more often lately.

Great shout Jad!

I'd totally forgotten about that , in fact i'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more on this (and ex) boards.

I certainly got value for money with this one , i got it a couple of years ago - it took a couple of months of regular listening before i could work out what was going on - then it just clicked .

I play it regularly still - but have to be in the right mood .

• 1 year later...

In the last year I was going through a similar process of discovering this music.

"The Freedom Principle" is an essential book, there should be a thread devoted to it.

I was just wondering how Jazzmoose feels about the music right now a year and a half after starting the thread.

Did you change your mind about Ornette and Don Cherry?

I do like the early "Atlantic" small groups and "Complete Communion".

bluenote3%20041_1.jpg

New York is Now

This is one of Ornette's best, I was turned on Broadway Blues long before I started listening to his music. This track appears on a Blue Note collection of 5 tapes (now it became larger and was expanded to cd's).

Great album to start liking Ornette (but only if you are destined to like his music) except for the last track "We now interrupt for a commercial" which for me can only serve as a comic relief after an intensive album.

It has Dewey Redman, Jimmy Garison and Elvin Jones.

Thanks for this thread, Mr Moose. I've used some of these recommendations-today I picked up Archie Shepp 4 for Trane, and Poem for Malcolm and two more Art Ensemble discs-Message to our Folks and Reese and the Small Ones (both are very fine!!). I need to find the ECM discs now

I was just wondering how Jazzmoose feels about the music right now a year and a half after starting the thread.

Did you change your mind about Ornette and Don Cherry?

I do like the early "Atlantic" small groups and "Complete Communion".

Oh yeah, Ornette finally 'clicked'; thanks to my wife I've had the Beauty is a Rare Thing box for a little over a year. Wow, this is really a trip seeing this thread now, and thinking about all the new music I've tried since it started. A lot of new-to-me artists have shown up on my shelves since then; those who appear in multiple disc quantities include Fred Anderson, The Art Ensemble, Albert Ayler, Peter Brotzmann, Ornette, Roscoe Mitchell, Joe McPhee (who until recently sat on my shelves unheard...what a mistake!) and Ken Vandermark (who I like more than most here, apparently). More is on the way.

It's overwhelming in many ways, but the excitement of discovery is still there. I know one thing; I sure wish I'd been into jazz back in '79 when I lived near Chicago...

This thread makes me want to go back and listen to stuff I haven't heard in a while. I just browsed quickly but did anyone mention Anthony Braxton? There is a giant heap of music there to check out and not all of it is just free blowin' sessions (not that I mind free blowin' sessions).

Did you get the Ayler box set that is newly out? That is some amazing stuff!

Also check out Tony Williams album Lifetime (not the band) on blue note-especially the first tune is a quieter out piece.

Some other recs:

Frank Lowe: Black Beings

John Zorn: Masada live in Sevilla 2000

Lennie Tristano: intuition (the earliest recorded free jazz I know of, I think already mentioned) Usually his stuff is pretty in, I wanted to make sure you got THIS particular album. The Chronological Classics Lennie Tristano 1947-1951 also has those free jazz recordings.

Charles Gayle: Touchin on Trane

Clifford Thornton: Freedom and Unity (find at Atavistic.com)

Joe Morris: start with Underthru. He is a kind of "in" sounding out musician. Very smart music!

Willem Breuker Kollektief In Holland (find this at Cadence records)

The Ganelin Trio: russian free jazz. Try Con Affetto

Joseph McPhee: Nation Time

Manfred Schoof: European Echos

If you need help finding any of this stuff ask me I will send you in the right place. If you want more recs. I can spew recs all day long!

Jared