Gene Kelly and VW

First thing I thought of was this: How many young people will see this ad, and not even get that there's anything weird about it. Some guy throwin' down his moves in the rain, what's the big deal??

I mean, I'm 35 -- born 17 years after "Singin' in the Rain" was first released. But I'm betting less than 5% of people my age and younger, have ever seen "Singin' in the Rain". (Maybe closer to 2%?? :huh: )

But definitely it's a very cool ad. B-)

Not here in the U.S., where it's not played all that often, least not that I've noticed.

Actually, I'm kinda of ashamed to admit this, but I've never seen the movie either. :ph34r: I have seen probably three full-length dance numbers, on those PBS "movie musical" specials that they show at least once a year during fund-drives.

But I've never seen the whole movie. :ph34r:

Thing is, I don't watch movies on television all that often. But if it was ever playing in the old-movie threater here in town, I'd sure go (as I've done for lots of old movies, over the years). Maybe it's played here, and I just missed it. Probably the case.

Rooster, go and see it first chance you get!

It's on my 10-best film of all time list and the one I most enjoy getting a fresh look at!

Gene Kelly is great, Donald O'Connor is even better and Debbie Reynolds is a peach and Jean Hagen is a scream and Cyd Charisse is (well I have no word good enough for her :wub: )!

At the beginning of "Singin in the Rain" there is a hostess introducing the stars attending a movie opening.She introduces one couple with what is some sort of a semi=inside joke. I've been trying to hear it well enough to figure it out for over 50 years.

The last great movie musical as far as I'm concerned. The money men at MGM in their infinite wisdom threw away this art.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but isn't that hostess at the beginning the same actress that was later Aunt Harriet or whoever on the Batman television series?

Rooster, I'll add my recommendation to the others. Admittedly, I like the old musicals, but this is, if not THE best, definitely near the top of the list! (And yes, Cyd Charrise is worth the price of admission, even if she's only in one number!)

there are many reasons to love singin' in the rain. one of them is donald o'connor. roger ebert called o'connor's feature in the film make 'em laugh "the most sensational solo number in the history of musical comedy."

Now you could study Shakespeare and be quite elite.

And you can charm the critics and have nothin' to eat.

Just slip on a banana peel, the world's at your feet.

Make 'em laugh. Make 'em laugh. Make 'em laugh.

You start off by pretending you're a dancer with grace.

You wiggle 'till they're giggling all over the place.

And then you get a great big custard pie in the face.

Make 'em laugh. Make 'em laugh. Make 'em laugh.

singing_15_page.jpeg

Don't like that ad one bit. I'm getting a little tired of the fad of exhuming dead actors to appear in commercials & films....whether it's this, or Steve McQueen test driving the new Mustang....or Laurence Olivier "playing" the villian in Sky Captain....bad taste...

Anway...

You MUST watch Singin' In The Rain....that is the first film that I ever remember seeing and I've loved it my entire life. It manages to create an overall mood that many musicals strive for but never quite succeed at. And it doesn't take itself too seriously...by playing as a satire it makes it all the more endearing.

"Moses supposes his toes-es are roses,

but Moses supposes erroneously.

Moses he knows-es his toes-es aren't roses.

as Moses supposes his toes-es to be."

Actually, I'm kinda of ashamed to admit this, but I've never seen the movie either. :ph34r: I have seen probably three full-length dance numbers, on those PBS "movie musical" specials that they show at least once a year during fund-drives.

Rooster - everyone has to see this movie. It is one of the all time greats.

The story is great The dancing is GREAT And it is a comedy of comedies.

For my money as talented as Gene Kelly certainly was and as beautiful as Cyd Charisse was, the scene stealers were Donald O'Connor in his wildly funny "Make 'Em Laugh" routine, and Jean Hagen as the dumb as a doorknob beautiful silent screen star with a ear spliting, glass shattering voice. She really deserved the Oscar.

The film deals - among other things - with the commotion in Hollywood when the arrival of the talkies changed the whole film business. In the film Jean Hagen (as silent moviestar Lina Lamont) gets into trouble because of her shrieking voice. Debbie Reynolds is then hired to dub Lina Lamont's voice for her first soundie film. I recall reading a long time ago that Jean Hagen actually dubbed Debbie Reynold's voice for part of the soundtrack of the Stanley Donen film!

A shame Jean Hagen did not get the Oscar, indeed. She could have won an Oscar also for her part in John Huston's 'Asphalt Jungle'!

I recall reading a long time ago that Jean Hagen actually dubbed Debbie Reynold's voice for part of the soundtrack of the Stanley Donen film!

I know that Reynold's singing was actually done by someone else in Singing in the Rain, but I'll be damned if I can remember who did the actual singing...

Don't like that ad one bit. I'm getting a little tired of the fad of exhuming dead actors to appear in commercials & films....whether it's this, or Steve McQueen test driving the new Mustang....or Laurence Olivier "playing" the villian in Sky Captain....bad taste...

I can sympathize. I remember the first one of these I saw, Fred Astaire dancing with a vacuum cleaner a few years back. My reaction was total shock and a "I'll never buy that thing!" It is tacky.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but isn't that hostess at the beginning the same actress that was later Aunt Harriet or whoever on the Batman television series?

It's NOT your imagination, that's her all right, looking and sounding much the same as she would on Batman a dozen or so years later.

A shame Jean Hagen did not get the Oscar, indeed. She could have won an Oscar also for her part in John Huston's 'Asphalt Jungle'!

When you consider Jean Hagen's performance in Asphalt Jungle side-by-side with her performance in Singin' In the Rain.....well, all I can say is "Impressive!"

I'm with Shawn here, but I hate that ad more than i can say.Tacky, disgusting, and cheap.

As for somebody dubbing Reynolds voice, its a pretty small voice to have been dubbed.She sang in other lesser MGM musicals and it sounded the same to me. But who cares amyway. I do care about their profaning a great movie and a great entertainer with their commercial crap.

Try this on for size anyway, VW--I just bought a mini Cooper. Now I'm glad I did. How's them apples. :angry:

On the one hand, I hate when dead actors are made to hock products in modern ads. I mean, there's a real possiblity that Gene Kelly would've HATE Volkswagon and would never have worked for them. Or maybe not. But you can't ask him, so I don't think his face should be used. I also don't particularly like the ad.

On the other hand, it is pretty amazing that they managed to DO that. Had it been shown to me in a different context, I'd probably say it's pretty cool...

"Singin' in the Rain" gets my vote for the all-time best movie musical. It's a shame that musicals went the way of the dodo...damn shame.