Johnny Lytle

baryshnikov

;) Just listening to Selim by Johnny Lyttle, really swings. when i used to play this when deejhaying the crowd would all go absolutely crazy. Everybody would get up to dance, what great memories. I swapped 28 lps to get original copy, i cradled it in my arms all the way home, at two in the morning. But another lp he did was really good, The Village caller on Riverside, a nice track called Pedro Strodder, bongoes playing against vibes, does anyone know this lp, worth picking it up in us, cheap?

You're a real dedicated collector, eh?

I have the CD twofer reissue of the album with Selim - nice, but I like the Village Caller with its steady medium burn even better.

Lytle is one underrated vibist - just because he was in no way avant-garde. Very entertaining without getting bland.

I can't say how nice and easy compares to lytle's other releases, but i do know that i like it. i don't think lytle's lack of recognition necessarily stems from his failure to embrace the freer aspects of the music like hutcherson, dickerson, and others did. instead, i think that his playing may lack a certain distinctiveness to some ears. that, and he plays an instrument that, for many people, doesn't command the kind of attention a reed or brass instrument does. don't get me wrong, i love the vibes. B-)

Edited by jazzshrink

The two Lytle albums i like alot are The Happy Ground and Blue Vibes which were both on Jazzland and Happy Ground was later reissued on Riverside. Im not sure if they have made it to cd yet.

Ive mentioned this before, but he made regular stops at the local organ club here in Lansing with the trio, Milt Harris on organ and Peppy Hinnant on cans.

He was a good ballad player and used the four mallet techique alot. On the blues tunes they played Milt Harris layed down such a solid rolling bottom, you could not sit still. I always looked forward to them coming to town for a week, and i would be at the club every night.

Both were Keepnews productions - Tuba was his first attempt after Riverside being sold. Sound is not as good as the Jazzlands/Riversides, tracks are shorter, but the music is right in the groove, with Wynton Kelly et al on board. I'd say if you like the groovier Riversides, go for it.

Both were Keepnews productions - Tuba was his first attempt after Riverside being sold. Sound is not as good as the Jazzlands/Riversides, tracks are shorter, but the music is right in the groove, with Wynton Kelly et al on board. I'd say if you like the groovier Riversides, go for it.

Well, that's just it - I found the grooves to be formulaic rather than organic, and as such was really turned off. Sounded more like ""jazz muzak" than jazz.

But like I said, maybe I wasn't in the proper frame of mind.

Any thoughts on the two Tuba (label) albums? I heard them once (there's a new 2-on1 CD issue), and either I wasn't in the proper frame of mind or else they're just incredibly bland.

I DO like the Riverside/etc. stuff, btw.

lytle_johnn_loopnewgr_101b.jpg

The Tubas are on this one released by BeatGoesPublic. Dean Rudland writes of that same feeling that 'baryshnikov' tells. Once you wade through the cheese on that twofer the meat is tasty! Classic song titles, too.

A fellow boardmember made me a comp of burned goodies from all those Jazzland and EMI held lps. Highly under-rated and deserving of greater recognition and all that. Lytle spun in my car for a whole summer a few years back after discovering all of his available releases. :tup

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

My Lytle experience is similar to that of Bill Fenohr above - Lytle also appeared at the organ spots here in town. He had these colored lights in front of the vibes - that was his gimmick. Probably never taken seriously by "serious" jazz fans, but that might be to his credit.

DMP,

Your right,i had forgot about the lights. He would hit a big chord and boom the lighting would change.I think Johnny had his little light show before the Rock bands started using the effect.

About that same time i caught Sun Ra at Slugs and he had this big globe light sitting on his electric piano. He used some sort of dimmer switch to control it.Pretty dramatic stuff in the 60's.

• 1 year later...

The Muse date titled The Happy Ground is not the same date as the Jazzland/Riverside lp. The Muse date was recorded in 1989. There is also a Muse date called Moonchild which is again not the Jazzland date, but a session from 1991.

I hope that clars up any confusion on Lytle album titles.

happy ground made it to cd on this 32jazz 2fer:

B000005BEU.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_V1057209626_.jpg

good stuff! :tup

and the village caller, well that's AMAZING!!!!! :excited::excited::excited:

All of Johnny's Riverside/Jazzland dates are on CD except his first record Blue Vibes , though one track from it did come out on a British compilation CD . His two Pacific Jazz sides have not been re-issued as yet , and I don't think any of the Solid State material has either . The short tracks and pop material of the Solid States has me thinking these are pretty commercial affairs ; the fact that one of them is entitled , Close Enough For Jazz only bolsters my suspicions .

And what did ever happen to organist Milt Harris ?

For you rare cover fans here is the cover of Blue Vibes :

JohnnyLytleBlueVibesonJazzland.jpg

One last thing . Most Lytle surnames are pronounced ' Little ' , but I once heard a jazz dj pronounce it , ' Lie-Tell ' . If anyone knows how Johnny was adressed , please do-tell .

EDIT: Fixed dead image link .

Edited by Chas

One last thing . Most Lytle surnames are pronounced ' Little ' , but I once heard a jazz dj pronounce it , ' Lie-Tell ' . If anyone knows how Johnny was adressed , please do-tell .

I've always pronounced it (and have heard others pronounce it) lie-tell. I wonder if the pronunciation may have been given in one of the early liner notes?