Dexter Gordon OJCs

sal

Of what I own these are my suggestions:

LTD live at the Left bank

The playing is fine on this (and the companion disc, XXL), but the sound quality kind of prevents it from being a high priority, IMO.

What else do you own (just curious). Have you heard The Jumpin' Blues?

I agree about The Chase- fun disc!

My friend Kenny threw that on the player a while back. As I remember it there was some great music, but nothing that really struck me.

Not to be unoriginal but my favorite Dexter's are Go! and the black lion release Take the A train. Both Sides of Midnight is awesome (on Black Lion I believe)! I have More Power on prestige but it is just something I never return to. Not a bad album. There are just a lot more I would return to.

Oh, Body and Soul is a great release.

I am curious about the steeplechase releases. I have only lulluby for a monster. Good album. If anyone can say something about the steeplechase albums I am all ears.

I want to check out the village vanguard album on columbia too. But that is a classic, no?

Edited by sonic1

My friend Kenny threw that on the player a while back. As I remember it there was some great music, but nothing that really struck me.

Must have been your mood... that's the only explanation. ;)

The Black Lions are all good (they all come from the same weekend, so...). Did you pick up the 4th volume that came out after the others?

I am curious about the steeplechase releases. I have only lulluby for a monster. Good album. If anyone can say something about the steeplechase albums I am all ears.

Well, there are about 30 of them now (several new releases over the past year), so it's hard to generalize about it, but I like almost everything on the label. The one you have is interesting and unique in that it's a trio with no piano. It's not among my favorites, though. I'm with Chuck regarding the SWISS NIGHTS discs (three of them). Great stuff. I also love most of the Radioland stuff with Tete, and just about all of the quartet sessions with Drew, Parlan, and Harris. I think the orchestral stuff is nice for a change of pace as well.

I want to check out the village vanguard album on columbia too. But that is a classic, no?

Classic in terms of being an event for sure... in terms of the music it will depend on who you talk to. I'm not that keen on it, but that's just me...

Also from around this vintage 'A Day In Copenhagen' (originally put out in Europe by MPS/Saba on vinyl) is a great one. Superb line up with Dexter, Dizzy Reece and Slide Hampton in the front line. Kenny Drew, NHOP and Art Taylor in the rhythm section. I'm always suprised it doesn't get more plaudits.

Although Prestige put it out in the U.S. on vinyl, it was never exactly the easiest thing to find- especially in the CD era. But you're right- great session.

I like it more for the Slide Hampton writing (and playing) than for the Dexter. I agree that it woulda coulda shoulda .....

I never thought it was all that hard to find on CD while it was out there, but I guess that's because I already had my copy and wasn't really looking. But I would see it fairly regularly. Talking MPS, just this week I myself finally snagged The Hub Of Hubbard, which I let a friend buy on CD back in the late 1980s and should have grabbed then.

Mike

I do like "The Panther!" but my love of Booker Ervin's playing has me pulling "Setting the Pace" off the shelf more than any other LTD disc. "The Jumpin' Blues" has some nice Wynton Kelly... sadly Kelly's last date.

Am I the only one who didn't dig "Ca'Purange" at all? I actually traded it in.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I never thought it was all that hard to find on CD while it was out there, but I guess that's because I already had my copy and wasn't really looking. But I would see it fairly regularly.

I saw the CD time to time, but when I did, it was one copy only. I had two different collectors (one in San Francisco, where things are typically MUCH easier to find than where I am) ask me to help them look for it. I'm not saying it was rare, I said it was "not the easiest" to find.