Coming to NYC

My wife really wants to see the Christo exhibit, so we're this close to booking a flight and leaving on Tuesday morning for a Thursday afternoon return (I have gigs Friday and Saturday). Not much time, but enough for a quick little post-Valentine getaway, just the two of us.

I see that Smoke has "organ night" on Tuesdays, so that will be cool. Who's playing Wednesday night?

And who wants to do lunch? ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife really wants to see the Christo exhibit, so we're this close to booking a flight and leaving on Tuesday morning for a Thursday afternoon return (I have gigs Friday and Saturday). Not much time, but enough for a quick little post-Valentine getaway, just the two of us.

I see that Smoke has "organ night" on Tuesdays, so that will be cool. Who's playing Wednesday night?

And who wants to do lunch? ;)

Damn you Jim!!!! Christo and Organ Night at Smoke. What a combo!

Also check and see if anybody's playing at Showman's Lounge on 125th Street, almost always a great organ combo there. Let me know how it was sittin' in w/Eric Alexander and Peter B.. :tup:)

We booked it. We were just waiting to hear from my mother-in-law to make sure she could take care of Zora while we're gone. All's well.

We'll be staying at the Park Central hotel, close to Central Park (imagine that). I wanna go to the Metropolitan Museum myself. My wife has been to NYC before, so I'm sure she'll be the tour guide. I've never been.

I hope LeDonne is at Smoke on Tuesday, although seeing Scone would be cool, too!!

We booked it. We were just waiting to hear from my mother-in-law to make sure she could take care of Zora while we're gone. All's well.

We'll be staying at the Park Central hotel, close to Central Park (imagine that). I wanna go to the Metropolitan Museum myself. My wife has been to NYC before, so I'm sure she'll be the tour guide. I've never been.

I hope LeDonne is at Smoke on Tuesday, although seeing Scone would be cool, too!!

LeDonne will be there Tues. Also, go early and check out the HH if you can, it's a hammond happy hour...don't know who's playing...maybe George Papageorge.

Scone's out of town, so he won't be there.

I saw the feature on 60 Minutes about this.  It looks like something that really needs to be experienced in person.

Thanks for the heads up on the "60 Minutes" spot. It's on right now, and I don't think they got to that segment yet.

FWIW, we're arriving on Wed morning. If anyone's meeting for anything during the day, let me know maybe I can meet somewhere. I'm not sure what our plans are that day (other than heading to the park ...)

Edited by BFrank

How cool! Mr. & Mrs. B3-er and B-Frank coming to NYC !!!

"Accu-Weather forecast" says patchy fog in the AM Tuesday, then sunny...

Cloudy on Wednesday, "some sun" on Thursday...

Don't know how "Accu" that actually is.

But I'd love to meet up with any or all of you (must attend son's basketball game Wednesday night but otherwise flexible).

What cuisine is a "must" for you? Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Moroccan, Jamaican, Polish, Ukrainian, Mexican, Tibetan, nouvelle, vegan, kosher deli, kosher dairy... ???? Or that German beer garden a block-and-a-half from me where I must have walked by Weizen during the RNC without us recognizing each other???

Anyway -- I'll PM you -- we HAVE to meet up!

Maren, my wife loves Indian food, so maybe we could do that! :) We'd love to meet you!

Indian: East 5th St. between 1st ave and 2nd., unless Maren knows better that's where I point ya.

I'd love to get together, but I've been sick with either a stomach virus or food poisioning so I'm not feeling too hot.

Have fun!

Maren, my wife loves Indian food, so maybe we could do that! :)  We'd love to meet you!

Indian: East 5th St. between 1st ave and 2nd., unless Maren knows better that's where I point ya.

I'd love to get together, but I've been sick with either a stomach virus or food poisioning so I'm not feeling too hot.

Have fun!

That's actually East 6th Street -- it's probably the cheapest, and it's near my place, but I'm checking out a place said to be much nicer, closer to the Park Central... will report later!

7/4, hope you're feeling better soon!

Smart move Maren,

Actually many of those 6th street Indian restaurants are among the worst in the city.

I'd recommend as cheap but fairly good - Baluchi's - there are a number of them in the city, but they are fairly good.

any chance you would be in lower manhattan for lunch.. If so maybe I could join you - I will be working and depending on work - I may not have much time.

But I am sure you are flooded with offers.

Maren, my wife loves Indian food, so maybe we could do that! :)  We'd love to meet you!

Have fun!

That's actually East 6th Street -- it's probably the cheapest, and it's near my place, but I'm checking out a place said to be much nicer, closer to the Park Central... will report later!

7/4, hope you're feeling better soon!

Ah yes, E. 6th. Like I wrote, I'm not at top of my superhero powers today.

And when you have a chance, PM me and tell me where those Indian places are uptown. :g

Guest akanalog

just last night i had indian in the jersey suburbs with my sister and we were both saying how the indian food was a lot better than on e. 6th street. so i guess my advice is "choose wisely". i went to 6th for indian like two weekends ago and went to mitali east and it was pretty decent. but the place before that-not so good. don't remember what that one was called, but it was closer to 2nd avenue. my friend swears by the scary looking place right around the corner on 1st avenue right under 6th street with all the lights outside. she is a picky vegitarian, FWIW.

The only East Village Indian restaurant I still eat at is vegetarian/South Indian: Madras Cafe, on Second Avenue (between 3rd & 4th Streets? somewhere between 2nd and 5th!!). When I was looking online today, it appeared on a "10 best" list along with some pricier midtown places.

The 6th Street ones seem to change owners and chefs so often, I've given up, though I hear Mitali and Brick Lane Curry House are currently the best of that bunch. IMO the Lexington Ave (26th, 27th, 28th Sts) "Little India" is far better than the East 6th Street. Jackson Diner in Queens is supposed to be the very best of authentic and nonstratospheric-priced Indian restaurants -- I haven't been, but friends and food critics (including one individual who is both!) say so...

I went to a wedding reception (bride and groom and ~80% of guests were Indian)at one of those upscale Midtown places (Dawat?) and the food was great...

maren,

I have absolutely no business entering this conversation but about 5 years ago my wife and I ate at a very nice Indian or curry restaurant a block or two from (behind) Carnegie Hall. Are you familiar with that one? Have no idea what the street was. We thought it was great food. Course, we're from Colorady. ;)

maren,

I have absolutely no business entering this conversation but about 5 years ago my wife and I ate at a very nice Indian or curry restaurant a block or two from (behind) Carnegie Hall. Are you familiar with that one? Have no idea what the street was. We thought it was great food. Course, we're from Colorady. ;)

You may be thinking of Darbar which is around 55th or 56th and 6th ave - it's pretty good but pricey.

I saw a decent organ trio at a place called Detour down in Alphabet City a couple years back. No cover or minimum either. It was nice. I can't remember who was in the band though. Anyone familiar with this place?

349 E 13th Street, between First & Second Aves. Chris Cheek is playing there tomorrow night. http://www.jazzatdetour.com