Coming to NYC

maren,

I have absolutely no business entering this conversation but about 5 years ago my wife and I ate at a very nice Indian or curry restaurant a block or two from (behind) Carnegie Hall. Are you familiar with that one? Have no idea what the street was. We thought it was great food. Course, we're from Colorady.  ;)

You may be thinking of Darbar which is around 55th or 56th and 6th ave - it's pretty good but pricey.

By golly I believe that's it. Thanks! Btw, I don't recall it being all that pricey.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we just got back from NYC and we had a great time! We arrived at La Guardia around 10:30am, took a cab to our hotel on 7th and 56th and took a little nap. I then gave Chris Albertson a call and we eventually hooked up for a little coffee and a nice walk through midtown. Chris is a true gentlemen and a scholar and told some fascinating stories! Chris, it was really a pleasure to meet you and thank you for your hospitality!

But before we met Chris, we wandered through Central Park to see the Christo installation. The photos hardly do it justice. When you realize how big Central Park is and how many gates there are and see them stretching as far as the eye can see.... well, it's really quite amazing.

After trying to go to the MoMA (which is closed on Tuesdays) Chris walked us back to the hotel and we parted ways. Maren was kind enough to meet us at the hotel and found a nice little Italian restaurant that was very close to take us to. I did enjoy my meal, maren; it just wasn't quite what I was expecting. But it was yummy!

We then walked downtown towards Times Square, just to see all the lights and commotion. Maren helped us with the subway and then we parted ways and went to Smoke! We caught just the very last song by the happy hour group, which included Adam Scone. Afterwards, I introduced myself and he actually recognized my name since I wrote a favorable review of his CD on CDBaby (it really is a great CD). I gave him a copy of the Organissimo disc.

Peter Bernstein came waltzing in a few minutes later and I introduced myself to him (we'd met before, but long ago) and gave him a copy of our CD as well. Same with Mike LeDonne and eventually, after the first set, I got to talk to Joe Strasser. Everyone was very nice and Mike invited me to sit in, but they do that during the last set and my wife was pretty wiped out. Her illness is still taking a lot out of her and she couldn't stay until 1am or later (which is when the third set would start). I thought about heading back there by myself once we got back to the hotel, but there'll be another time.

Anyway, the cats were swinging and I wish I could've stayed longer. I was thinking to myself while sitting there, "Man... here's Peter Bernstein and Mike LeDonne, just playing some bar gig that's similair to so many bar gigs I do back home... but it's frickin' PETER BERNSTEIN and MIKE LEDONNE!" That's NYC for ya, I guess!

Wednesday morning we slept in and then got some $30 breakfast at a nearby diner. Only in NYC would a ham & cheese omelet, which costs a whoppin' $6 here in Lansing, set you back $14! Damn. It wasn't even that good.

We then walked to the MoMA, but there was a line going around the block so we scraped that idea, walked to Rockefeller Plaza, then up to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We were there for hours until finally getting back to the hotel around 5:00 or so. What an amazing museum. We would've stayed longer, but our feet were aching.

For dinner we got together with a good friend of mine that I've known since high school. She took us to this fantastic meditteranean place in the village called Moustache. Chris A and maren (and whoever else in NY) you gotta go there! It's tiny, but the food is incredible and the prices were very reasonable. They had the best tasting hummus I have ever had in my life. It put the stuff we get here to shame.

Afterwards Alison and I were thinking about going to the Empire State Building, but she was tired and I was pretty beat myself. We got up this morning and had breakfast with a college friend of Alison's and his wife. They were a charming couple and it was very nice to meet them. Alison hadn't seen them since 1998! Dan is a jazz musician/composer and his wife Mary is a dancer and is now designing her own handbags. She went to high school with Christian McBride and Joey D in Philly! How cool is that? Dan and I had a lot to talk about and have a lot in common. I hope to see the two of them again soon.

All in all it was a very busy yet relaxing trip. Short, but long enough... both of us were missing little Zora like crazy! When my wife walked through the door this evening, Zora was in her high chair eating dinner thanks to Grandma, and when she saw Alison, she giggled and laughed and smiled and reached out to her with all her might. It was so sweet! We're glad to be back!

I'm hoping to get back to NYC very soon. There is a chance of doing some joint gigs with another organ trio from the area. Details forthcoming.

I forgot to mention that maren is a real sweetheart and it was a real pleasure meeting and hanging out with her!

I don't know about you, maren, but to me it felt like getting together with an old friend! :)

I felt the same about you and Alison! Glad to hear the rest of your trip was good -- and I'll be sure to check out Moustache!

Hey Jim, sounds like a great trip!. Glad you got to meet Adam, thought he was out of town, but I guess not. Was curious as to whether a lot of organ players were out at Smoke since Jimmy Smith had just passed the previous Tuesday.. Was Eric Alexander playing too? Usually he is.... Anyway, sounds like a blast!

For dinner we got together with a good friend of mine that I've known since high school. She took us to this fantastic meditteranean place in the village called Moustache. Chris A and maren (and whoever else in NY) you gotta go there! It's tiny, but the food is incredible and the prices were very reasonable. They had the best tasting hummus I have ever had in my life. It put the stuff we get here to shame.

Glad you had a good trip.

Interesting that you went to Moustache. I love this place too and just a few weeks ago took some friends from Ohio there. They loved the food , particularly the Ouzi - which is that rice and meat baked in a round philo dough ball - just scrumptous-hope you tried that.

did you eat at an Indian restaurant? If so, give me your review because I am always on the lookout for good (preferably cheap) Indian places.

YES! We had the Ouzi which was divine! We also had the lamb boneless ribs and the sun-dried tomato pitza. I have to say the Ouzi was my favorite.

I gotta find a good recipe to make my own hummus. I can't eat the tart stuff we get around here anymore. The hummus at Moustache was so smooth, almost buttery. YUM!

skeith, next time we come to NYC (which hopefully will be soon if these gigs pan out) we'll definitely hook up!

YES! We had the Ouzi which was divine! We also had the lamb boneless ribs and the sun-dried tomato pitza. I have to say the Ouzi was my favorite.

I gotta find a good recipe to make my own hummus. I can't eat the tart stuff we get around here anymore. The hummus at Moustache was so smooth, almost buttery. YUM!

skeith, next time we come to NYC (which hopefully will be soon if these gigs pan out) we'll definitely hook up!

I would love to see Organissimo play a gig in NYC and hook up with you.

By the way, wouldn't there be some restaurants like Moustache in the Detroit area?

YES!  We had the Ouzi which was divine!  We also had the lamb boneless ribs and the sun-dried tomato pitza.  I have to say the Ouzi was my favorite. 

I gotta find a good recipe to make my own hummus.  I can't eat the tart stuff we get around here anymore.  The hummus at Moustache was so smooth, almost buttery.  YUM!

I would love to see Organissimo play a gig in NYC and hook up with you.

By the way, wouldn't there be some restaurants like Moustache in the Detroit area?

There may be but I'm in Lansing, which is a good hour and a half west of Detroit. There are a lot of fine meditteranean restaurants here, but I have never had such great tasting hummus before... and I'm a big fan of hummus!

This is Mrs. B3er here...I just wanted to add a little too.

This was my 5th trip to NYC. Each time I go I visit with wonderful people and make new friends. Thank you Chris and Maren for being so gracious. You both went out of your way to show Jim and I a great time. Since I don't read all the posts like so many of you, I had no idea who I would be meeting. But if Jim says its a good idea, I believe him. He was right.

The Gates were beautiful and very impressive. The whole idea of conceptual art and installation is completely out of my artistic territory. I admire those that have such vision and dedication to make their dream a reality. The size and scope of the Christo project rivals anything I've ever seen. The trip was worth every penny and every moment I was away from Zora. (Sorry, Kid) Plus, Jim and I haven't had time like that together in a while. Though, now that I think about it, we weren't alone very long after visiting with 4 different groups of friends in 48 hours!

I will be going back to the City again. Each trip I feel more and more at ease. I think my years in Philly broke my City legs in a little. I'm very glad I was able to share Jim's first NYC experience with him.

Alison

just last night i had indian in the jersey suburbs with my sister and we were both saying how the indian food was a lot better than on e. 6th street. so i guess my advice is "choose wisely". i went to 6th for indian like two weekends ago and went to mitali east and it was pretty decent. but the place before that-not so good. don't remember what that one was called, but it was closer to 2nd avenue. my friend swears by the scary looking place right around the corner on 1st avenue right under 6th street with all the lights outside. she is a picky vegitarian, FWIW.

I realize I'm late here, but most of those Sixth St. places are second rate, with one notable exception: Banjara, on the corner of 6th and 1st.

The best I've had in the city so far is Chola, in midtown.

The most overrated (IMO, obviously) that I've had is Tabla.