Letourneau to marry former student

Chrome

In keeping with the Valentine's Day theme ...

Report: Letourneau to wed former pupil

April 16 wedding date set

Monday, February 14, 2005 Posted: 12:53 PM EST (1753 GMT)

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Mary Kay Letourneau plans to marry the former sixth-grade pupil with whom she had two children, months after her release from prison for raping him, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported, citing an online bridal registry.

Letourneau, 43, and Vili Fualaau, 22, set a wedding date of April 16, according to their registry at a department store. Letourneau served 7 1/2 years on a 1997 conviction for raping Fualaau, who has said in the past that he hoped to wed his former teacher.

"It's been long overdue," Noel Soriano, a friend of the couple, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in a story published Monday. "It's going to be fabulous, seeing them get hitched finally."

A lawyer for Fualaau and a friend of Letourneau did not immediately return calls Monday seeking further comment.

Letourneau was a 34-year-old married mother of four when she began a sexual relationship with her then-12-year-old elementary school student in 1996. She was pregnant with Fualaau's first child when she was arrested in 1997 and ordered to serve a six-month sentence for second-degree child rape.

One month after she was released, Letourneau was caught having sex with Fualaau in her car. She pleaded guilty in 1997 to two charges of child rape, and gave birth to the couple's second daughter while serving her 7 1/2-year sentence. Fualaau's mother is raising their two daughters, aged 6 and 7.

Shortly after Letourneau was released from prison last August, the pair successfully petitioned a judge to lift a no-contact order that had barred them from seeing each other.

Soriano said Fualaau proposed last fall, but the couple has been trying to keep wedding details a secret. Details are yet to be completed, but plans call for their daughters to be flower girls, he said.

"They have gone through a lot," Soriano said. "That they lasted this long proves how strong their love is."

I am a teacher myself.

I can maybe (abstractly) understand how sth like that could possibly happen, but it's still sick.

The guy was 12 years old!

I know we've been over this, but no teacher should be allowed to abuse his authority and power like that.

Sorry, but totally sick.

The lady's got a serious mental problem.

Cheers!

I am a teacher myself.

I can maybe (abstractly) understand how sth like that could possibly happen, but it's still sick.

The guy was 12 years old!

I know we've been over this, but no teacher should be allowed to abuse his authority and power like that.

Sorry, but totally sick.

The lady's got a serious mental problem.

Cheers!

No question about it.

The more interesting issue to me, is what can we do about it now? And should anything be done about it now? They are, after all, both adults (now).

I agree that the relationship was inappropriate when he was a teen, but now that he's an adult people need to back off. Look, if she was really just into 12-year-old boys, she wouldn't still be interested in this guy. That she is (and wants to marry him) suggests that maybe...just maybe...this is the real thing. Stranger things have happened!

What bugs me is this: In how many 80s teen comedies was exactly this sort of relationship promoted as the holy grail for teenage boys? "My Tutor," anyone? Why is it hilarous when Finch and Stifler's mom do it in "American Pie," but it's "sick" in the real world? There's something about this sort of relationship that Americans clearly find very attractive...until somebody actually goes and does it. I'm not saying that it's right, I'm just saying that there's a double standard at work here. We're saying to teenage boys: "You know you want to nail your teacher or your friend's mom." While at the same time we're saying to adults: "Keep your pervy hands off!" Meanwhile, all of our sex symbols are teenage girls (Hilary Duff, etc.)...We live in a truly fucked-up culture...

These teachers are just a symptom. America has the disease.

Edited by Alexander

I agree that at this point everyone should back off because they're adults, but I also have to say, sorry Alexander, but Finch is supposed to be 17 or 18, which is light years from being 12, which is what the kid was when Mary Kay had her way with him. Let alone the difference in authority of a teacher versus a horny 40 year old mother of a classmate.

I agree that at this point everyone should back off because they're adults, but I also have to say, sorry Alexander, but Finch is supposed to be 17 or 18, which is light years from being 12, which is what the kid was when Mary Kay had her way with him. Let alone the difference in authority of a teacher versus a horny 40 year old mother of a classmate.

So you don't think a double standard is at work here? Are you familiar with Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher?" Or Fountains of Wayne's "Stacy's Mom?" What is the audience for these songs? We play up the desirability of May/December romances betweem teenage boys and older women in popular culture. It's out there, going back to "The Graduate" (while Dustin Hoffman's character in "The Graduate" is in his early 20s, that film is an obvious cultural touchpoint for this type of relationship). You only have to look at the number of websites that pop up if you Google a term like "MILF" (an "American Pie"-ism that clearly captured people's imagination) to see how deeply ingrained into our collective fantasy this relationship is.

It's out there, going back to "The Graduate" (while Dustin Hoffman's character in "The Graduate" is in his early 20s, that film is an obvious cultural touchpoint for this type of relationship).

Actually, the way I saw it, the movie portrayed Mrs. Robinson as a predator whose motive was to hurt her daughter and assert her supremacy as THE desirable adult female in her family. Ego-maniac (rather than nympho-). The whole scene seemed deliberately shot to convey creepiness: Dustin sounds like he's choking when he says "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?" And he looks really stricken when it's over. And it nearly destroyed his bond with the daughter. Pretty much spells out how the reality is toxic, and the fantasy should have stayed a fantasy.

EDIT: Not to say that it's wrong for a 40-year-old and a 20-year-old without some other family entanglement to get together -- just that I don't think "The Graduate" celebrated the hook-up between Mrs. R and her daughter's boyfriend!

Edited by maren