Terms of Large Purchase of CDs--Scam?

kh1958

A musician sells their CDs through CD Baby. Someone buys a CD through CB Baby and says they really like it and emails the artist, asking to buy 100 copies for resale, inquiring regarding the price.

The artist sets a price (say $500), and the buyer comes back and says that's fine, I have a business associate in the same city as you who owes me money; he will pick up the CDs and give you a money order for $2100. Kindly cash the money order and send me $1500 in cash through Western Union.

I realize the CD business is probably full of flakes, but I find this proposal to be highly suspicious.

Has anyone been approached through CD Baby for this kind of deal?

I suspect that the money order might well be bad (or stolen), and that the result is the artist is out $1500.

Has anyone ever done a CD retailing deal like this?

Edited by kh1958

I agree it sounds like a scam for sure, but there's one thing I don't get. You get a money order, right? You cash the money order and send him the overage. If the money order is bad, how does it get back to you? You've cashed it. You walk away with $2100, with which a portion goes into a new money order.

If the original money order is fake, how does it come back to you that it was fake?

it sounds more to me like money laundering to me.

In this day and age when there's spam of every sort and variety from bank accounts to lottery winnings to e-bay to paypal to Nigerian fund transfers...so much that at times it's borderline overwhelming, it's best to recall that tried and true old homily, "things that appear too good to be true generally are." Or, as my principal at Jesuit High used to put it many moons ago, "A word to the wise should be sufficient."

Up over and out.