Dixie Chicks - 'Good or Bad?'

Guest che

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like country music, and watch CMT regularly (that is, until Cablevision recently took CMT off the lineup...DirecTV, here we come!). Natalie is a very good singer, and has great vocal chops. But I don't much like their outlook. It's not just that I'm pro-Bush. Have you heard their song, "Goodbye Earl"? Earl's a bad husband, so his wife is justified in killing him. It's a happy song! What an obnoxious outlook! So I don't care much for them, and change the channel when one of their videos comes on.

I completely disagree. Goodbye Earl is the best song they've recorded and the only Chicks tune I can stomach.

Earl is not a "bad" husband, he's violently abusive! In the last verse before they decide to kill him, he "walked right through that restraining order and put her in intensive care".

The full lyrics:

Mary Anne and Wanda were the best of friends

All through their high school days

Both members of the 4H Club

Both active in the FFA

After graduation Mary Anne went out lookin'

for a brand new world

Wanda looked all around this town

and all she found was Earl

Well it wasn't two weeks

after she got married that

Wanda started getting abused

She put on dark glasses and long sleeved blouses

And make-up to cover a bruise

Well she finally got the nerve to file for divorce

She let the law take it from there

But Earl walked right through that restraining order

And put her in intensive care

Right away Mary Anne flew in from Atlanta

On a red eye midnight flight

She held Wanda's hand as they

worked out a plan

And it didn't take 'em long to decide

That Earl had to die

Goodbye Earl

Those black-eyed peas

They tasted all right to me

Earl

You're feelin' weak

Why don't you lay down

and sleep

Earl

Ain't it dark

Wrapped up in that tarp

Earl?

The cops came by to bring Earl in

They searched the house

high and low

Then they tipped their hats

and said, "thank you ladies

if you hear from him let us know"

Well the weeks went by and

Spring turned to Summer

And Summer faded into Fall

And it turns out he was a missing person

who nobody missed at all

So the girls bought some land

and a roadside stand

out on Highway 109

They sell Tennessee ham

and strawberry jam

and they don't

lose any sleep at night 'cause

Earl had to die

Goodbye Earl

We need a break

Let's go out to the lake

Earl

We'll pack a lunch

And stuff you in the trunk

Earl

Well is that all right

Good Let's go for a ride

Earl

The chicks somehow managed to take a serious, downer subject and make a light-hearted, downright fun song out of it.

I guess that is what I like about the Chicks, they can take serious subjects and articulate them in a way that is not too depressing, but at the same time getss me thinking and creates some hope.

Not being a great fan of this type of music I find this very refreshing.

Che.

It don't take much to get Brother warm.

Well the thought of the Chicks warms even the coldest parts B-)

Che.

:lol:

My wife likes them. It's not what I would choose to listen to, but they're good at what they do.

My question is: They play country music. Even though I agree with their disdain for the boy king, I can't believe they were surprised by the backlash against them. It's too bad free speech isn't quite free.

It don't take much to get Brother warm.

Well the thought of the Chicks warms even the coldest parts B-)

Che.

:lol:

My wife likes them. It's not what I would choose to listen to, but they're good at what they do.

My question is: They play country music. Even though I agree with their disdain for the boy king, I can't believe they were surprised by the backlash against them. It's too bad free speech isn't quite free.

Well I read one of many articles after the backlash, I also know this guy in Texas who I correspond with, who felt that what they had done was pretty low. Now they sang the 'song' in London, and I guess could not have expected what happened. The backlash was pretty bad, and was against all normal democratic and principles of free-speech.

I recall that people like Bruce Springsteen and others joined the cause, and they themselves faught back by appearing semi-naked (great picture :D). Anyway you are right what this showed was a side of America, that some people are critical of and it illustrated for many, that in the land of the free, things are not so free.

Che.

Anyway you are right what this showed was a side of America, that some people are critical of and it illustrated for many, that in the land of the free, things are not so free.

Che.

In the end it was good publicity for them.

They were free to say what they said, and others were free to speak out against them.

Anyway you are right what this showed was a side of America, that some people are critical of and it illustrated for many, that in the land of the free, things are not so free.

Che.

In the end it was good publicity for them.

They were free to say what they said, and others were free to speak out against them.

Right on both counts.

But to withdraw airtime of their music, to have car bumper stickers made, to cancel gigs etc. This for me at least takes me back to the 'communist witch hunts'.

You know venues were called and told that it would be in their interests not to have the chicks play, radio stations had pressure put upon them for me it was a shameful situation, as it was back in the days when it was considered better to be 'Dead than Red' B-)

Che.

The Chicks did not need any publicity, their first album went Platinum and they were the biggest thing in country music at the time.

They passed comment on the US military, and they sang a song about the consequences or war and the rest is history. The fall-out from this was way disproportinate to what they actually said.

In my view they presented an easy target, for a nation uneasy with itself and what was happening. They just happened to be the ones that ended up in the spotlight. Irrespective of their music, they took a brave stance and came out fighting and in the end on top. As many people came to their support, from all different backgrounds with all different opinions.

Great stuff.

Che.

Natalie's dad, Lloyd Maines, played with pedal steel with Joe Ely back in the day. Stunning stuff. And she needs a spanking, from me. :wub:

I love a discussion that does not involve sugestions of sex :P

Yeh I heard this, so she come from a musical background.

Che.

The Chicks did not need any publicity, their first album went Platinum and they were the biggest thing in country music at the time.

They ALL need publicity.

To me there is a difference between needing publicity, and actually going out of your way to create it.

In my view the Chicks did nothing to create the publicity and fall that followed the Royal Albert Hall Concert!

Che.

OK, seriously if you take the politics out of the Dixie Chicks whattaya got? Shedaisy, that's what. Who are not exciting to me on any level...

'Shedaisy'?

Must be a local thing B-)

Well you got great harmonies, great lyrics, as has already been mentioned, social comments, and of course political debate.

Ok name me one more thing the Romans ever did for us :D

Che.

che,

You're not getting the subtext here, so i'll spell it out. The politics are an integral part of who they are in total, as anyone who was really paying attention should've known. Part of the backlash may have been the feeling that Dixie Chicks as a name implied a more Nashville product kinda thing as opposed to the Austinite tongue in cheekiness that understanding the name in a more ironical way implies. Shedaisy are a chick trio who as far as I can tell pretty much are Nashville product, no inconvenient politics, instrumental skills, individual perspective on what is or isn't country or any actual character at all...

In short, I think the Chicks are (at least relatively) good.

Dana

che,

You're not getting the subtext here, so i'll spell it out. The politics are an integral part of who they are in total, as anyone who was really paying attention should've known. Part of the backlash may have been the feeling that Dixie Chicks as a name implied a more Nashville product kinda thing as opposed to the Austinite tongue in cheekiness that understanding the name in a more ironical way implies. Shedaisy are a chick trio who as far as I can tell pretty much are Nashville product, no inconvenient politics, instrumental skills, individual perspective on what is or isn't country or any actual character at all...

In short, I think the Chicks are (at least relatively) good.

Dana

Hey thanks for pointing that out to me.

I guess we may see things differently, I try and 'spell nothing out', as it tends to lead to heated debates and flame wars. Just try and give an opinion and see what happens.

Prior to the Albert Hall Concert, the Chicks had not shown any real politic, they had been very successful doing what they do best. They then came to London, and sang a song from their new album and prior to this passed some comment on the war.

Now what is interesting is that many US artists had expressed similar reservations, people like Bruce Springsteen for example, had grave reservations about the conflict and had publically voiced these concerns. But for some reason the biggest impact was made against a trio of women.

I do not agree that prior to the London concert that politics and the Chicks went together. Like so many people before, they became political after the abuse and threats they suffered.

Che.