Rufus Harley

Jim Dye

Anyone familiar with this guy?

I just returned from a lunchtime trip to my local used vinyl shop and returned with an interesting record.

Rufus Harley - A Tribute To Courage (Atlantic)

Rufus Harley - Bagpipes, Flute, Soprano and Tenor Sax

Oliver Collins - Piano

James Glenn - Bass

Billy Abner - Drums

Robert Kenyatta - Conga

Side One:

1. Sunny

2. A Tribute To Courage

3. Swing Low Sweet Chariot

Side Two:

1. Ali

2. "X"

3. About Trane

Produced by Joel Dorn and liners by Detroit's own Ed Love!

I spun a couple tracks on the turntable at the shop and it really sounded pretty good for a beat up promo copy. What can you say for 6.99?

I looked at allmusic.com and saw he recorded 3 or 4 records for Atlantic and one for the Ankh label.

I'll give it a good listen when I pick up my turntable in a few weeks.

32 Jazz did a CD best of that should still be easy to find even if it's technically OOP. I suspect that his piping doesn't meet Celtic purist's standards (he plays on the wrong side, among other sins, and is I believe entirely self taught). enjoyable stuff nonetheless, in a very '60s way (including his sax work). I met him once 12-13(?) years ago: best story was him being inspired to pick up the pipes after seeing President Kennedy's funeral on TV and practising in his apartment in Philly, much to his neighbors' annoyance. When the cops arrived to ask about the noise he'd tell 'em, "Do I look like I play bagpipes?" The cops would shrug, say no and go away, Rufus went back to practising.

I spun a couple tracks on the turntable at the shop and it really sounded pretty good for a beat up promo copy. What can you say for 6.99?

I say "Arrrrrghhhhh! Turn it off!"

Sorry, I'm being a bit harsh on Mr. Harley, but he's not my cup of tea - perhaps a shotglass full, but not a whole cup.

I've got a half-dozen of his recordings, including one or more he put out on his own label a few years ago ('Brotherly Love' on Tartan Pride label, or some such thing.)

Bagpipe Blues, Scotch and Soul, Tribute to Courage and Recreation of the Gods (which I don't have) came out in the sixties, I believe. Perhaps one more. Kings and Queens?

I heard that he was scheduled for a performance last year at Idlewild. I wasn't there.

Personally, I'd rather hear him play tenor, flute or soprano, though I can't say he's particularly inspiring on any.

Here's a promo for the Rufus Harley documentary/movie:

http://www.wyattworks.com/film_rf.htm

Listen in good health.

• 1 year later...

I've been in the habit of ignoring Rufus Harley based on the work of his that I've heard on some Sonny Rollins sides, but a good friend has been sharing his burns of the Atlantic albums with me and I must confess to being pleasantly surprised.

No, I'm not a convert or anything like that, but what's pleasing me is Harley's work on his other instruments. His tenor tone is nice, fat, and liquid, his soprano sound very soulful, and his flute is much the same. His competency on all these instruments is certainly obvious. He comes across as a definitely "local" player, but a darn good one, the type who keeps the home folk happy year in and year out, but who doesn't have that much to set the larger world on fire. It's tempting to say that w/o the bagpipe "angle" that he'd not have recorded for Atlantic, but who knows?

If all that sounds like a dis, think again. Such players what kept jazz from existing as anything other than a "specialty" music for as long as it did. This is the jazz equivalent of comfort food for me - no surprises, nothing unfamilar, but presented in such a way that a sense of being "at-home" is immediately felt. If the urge to hang around isn't particularly long-lived, the time actually spent there is certainly satisfying on its own terms, and is not felt to be wasted.

Now, as for the bagpipes. I like them better here than on the Rollins things, but my life would be none the poorer if I'd never heard them. Actually, I was surprised at how the bagpipes were programmed into the albums as just another instrument, which works fine by me. I was expecting all bagpipes, and that would have been...

So far, I've heard BAGPIPE BLUES & SCOTCH & SOUL (love that title!). A TRIBUTE TO COURAGE is waiting in the wings, and I'm expecting/hoping for more of the same. I also see that Harley's since released several albums on smaller labels, including one,

harley_rufu_recreatio_101b.jpg

with an organist. Anybody ever heard these, and if so, what's the story on them?

The Rufus Harley Atlantic sides I've heard so far have been a "small" pleasure, but I'm thankful for any music that provides pleasure, large or small.

I also see that Harley's since released several albums on smaller labels, including one,

harley_rufu_recreatio_101b.jpg

with an organist. Anybody ever heard these, and if so, what's the story on them?

Well, I've since heard this one, and, believe it or not, it's quite nice. The organist is Bill Mason, the grooves are deeply funky, and the whole thing wouldn't be at all out of place as a Legends of Acid Jazz reissue, except that it's primarily got bagpipes as the lead instrument. :g

There's also some really cool varitoned soprano that is most funky. But the bagpipes are the primary focus, and they ain't bad. Plus, there's some really trippy production effects involving the sound of a baby's crying, which at times sounds for all the world like a precursor to some of Zawinul's later effects.

Yeah, folks, this puppy is something "out of the ordinary" and in a GOOD way. And guess what - DussyGoove carries it. :g

I was thinking at one time of making a mix tape &/or CDR of jazz pipes for someone my wife used to work with who knows trad piping, is there anyone who should be on it besides Rufus and Ayler? Maybe someone coming from the folk side to jazz? As someone who plays C-melody, I love to see unusual instruments getting jazz usage.

Scotland, the rave...

I was thinking at one time of making a mix tape &/or CDR of jazz pipes for someone my wife used to work with who knows trad piping, is there anyone who should be on it besides Rufus and Ayler? Maybe someone coming from the folk side to jazz? As someone who plays C-melody, I love to see unusual instruments getting jazz usage.

Scotland, the rave...

Paul Dunmall

Matthew Welch

Never bought any of his records, but have heard 'em. Heard him "live" 3 or 4 times and it convinced me my purchase decisions were sound.

Chuck, that was very tastefully stated! You are the master politician. (in the good sense of the word)

It seems to me that Mr. Harley was on one side of a Sonny Stitt side I used to own. ("Deuces Wild" or something like that?)

Never bought any of his records, but have heard 'em.  Heard him "live" 3 or 4 times and it convinced me my purchase decisions were sound.

Chuck, that was very tastefully stated! You are the master politician. (in the good sense of the word)

It seems to me that Mr. Harley was on one side of a Sonny Stitt side I used to own. ("Deuces Wild" or something like that?)

That's the CD I'm talking about "Deuces Wild"...Don Patterson plays organ on that and it has Rufus too....GREAT session. Nice and raw.

I have all of the Rufus Harley Atlantic LP sides & Re-Creation of the Gods and have to say that all are quite good. I haven't listened to the Atlantic sides in about 30 years, but they still hold up and stand the test of time. Actually, I think Harley is quite good on tenor sax and his flute-work is also impressive. Re-Creation of The Gods is a real trip! Great stuff! The combination of the organ and the pipes are most compatible. I have heard lesser talent receive more hype than Harley, which is a shame. He is a very accomplished multi-instrumentalist. After all, if Sonny Rollins was impressed with Rufus Harley, what more needs to be said by anybody else.

• 4 weeks later...

PhillyJazz will release (on November 14, 2005) a new Rufus Harley album 'Sustain'.

Rufus Harley plays various instruments including bagpipe.

The musicians alongside include Messiah Harley on trumpet, Joshua Yakin on piano and organ, Emmanuel Hakim Thompson on drums and Keno Speller on percussion.

Other PhillyJazz releases skedded later this year:

- Byard Lancaster 'A Heavenly Sweetness' (out August 29),

- Monnette Sudley 'Meeting of the Spirits' (out September 19),

- Khan Jamal 'Return From Exile' (out October 17)