the small market niche that jazz commands

It's no surprise that the popularity of the jazz sections in 'major chain' music stores is pretty slim, but this past weekend brought it all back in focus.

JSangrey and I were out of town on a gig; we had left early, allowing us browsing time at the local Hastings music store, which has always had a surprisingly good selection of used jazz cds. (esp considering that we were in Wichita Falls, Tx!)

As I was browsing around in the jazz bins (located in the back aisle of the CD area), a clerk walked by and said "we don't get many customers 'back here'. :blink:

That sums it up in a nutshell.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

I gave up on finding jazz CDs at any local store (although Schuler's Books in Okemos has a decent selection... at outrageous prices).  In the 21st century, it's all about ordering online.

Definitely not true in Tokyo. The used stores here are great and there are some real bargains to be had. :)

I loved that line - "we don't get many customers back here."

And they call jazz fans elitist snobs. That remark reeked of that kind of attitude.At the very least that clerk gets a :tdown . To my way of thinking good customer relations involve making your customers comfortable. That kind of negativity achieves just the opposite IMO.

It's no surprise that the popularity of the jazz sections in 'major chain' music stores is pretty slim, but this past weekend brought it all back in focus.

JSangrey and I were out of town on a gig; we had left early, allowing us browsing time at the local Hastings music store, which has always had a surprisingly good selection of used jazz cds. (esp considering that we were in Wichita Falls, Tx!)

As I was browsing around in the jazz bins (located in the back aisle of the CD area), a clerk walked by and said "we don't get many customers 'back here'. :blink:

That sums it up in a nutshell.

Yep and it ain't no better in most parts of the UK, you have to go to some big cities before you can find anything even half-decent.

In many ways the internet counter the possible effects of this. Is is relatively easy for me to order albums from America of Finland for example. But it is a sorry state of affairs when you have the experience you have.

Che/

I can't walk into a Borders here in A2 without leaving with something from the jazz section. Just in the last month I was able to find Art Ensemble live in Paris 1969 and an Anthony Braxton 4-disc set, for good prices. So I'm not complaining

You lucky so-and-so!

My nearest Borders has reduced the size of it's jazz section by more than 75% over thelast two years.

I used to find some good discs there but last night I was stunned by the choice. OK if you want to buy Proper Box compilations or 20 copies of The Very Best Of Lee Ritenour :rolleyes:

Actually, the clerk sounds like he was just being truthful. The local borders is not too bad. They usually get all the new stuff and sometimes they surprise me with what they have. It's not perfect but in this world of suburbia it's the best we can do. That what's the internet is for.

I loved that line -  "we don't get many customers back here."

i have a similar experience when i browse the used jazz section at one of the small chain stores (Newbury Comics) in my area. i'm always the only one in that section. i tell ya, it's deserted. ("how deserted is it?"). it's so deserted, it's where the kids go to rip off the store! they open and remove a rock/rap/metal cd and leave the packaging behind in the used jazz section. the joke between me and the store is "how many empty packages will rob find this visit?"

it's just another nagging reminder that jazz is america's forgotten art.

I gave up on finding jazz CDs at any local store (although Schuler's Books in Okemos has a decent selection... at outrageous prices).  In the 21st century, it's all about ordering online.

Definitely not true in Tokyo. The used stores here are great and there are some real bargains to be had. :)

Japan doesn't count. Somehow they've jumped off the evolutionary chart and have split off as a civilized race with good musical taste.

Japan doesn't count. Somehow they've jumped off the evolutionary chart and have split off as a civilized race with good musical taste.

Believe me Soul Stream, if you heard any of the J-Pop that dominates the airwaves here, you would retract that statement. ;)

We used to have two Tower outlets in Portland. Now we're down to a single store and the jazz section at that one is so whimped out it's not even worth the trip. The Border's downtown where I work has cut back their jazz offerings by at least 1/3 if not more. Again, hardly worth visiting. The best spots in town are Music Millenium, an independent that's been around since the late '60's and Everyday Music. EM buys anything you haul in so they always have plenty of used CD's available. Two stores here. Fair to middlin' selection of new stuff as well. OK prices.

Agree that the internet is really the only place to go anymore if you color outside the lines. Also, I've been to Bud's in Seattle. Neat and funky.

Up over and out.

We used to have two Tower outlets in Portland. Now we're down to a single store and the jazz section at that one is so whimped out it's not even worth the trip. The Border's downtown where I work has cut back their jazz offerings by at least 1/3 if not more. Again, hardly worth visiting. The best spots in town are Music Millenium, an independent that's been around since the late '60's and Everyday Music. EM buys anything you haul in so they always have plenty of used CD's available. Two stores here. Fair to middlin' selection of new stuff as well. OK prices.

Agree that the internet is really the only place to go anymore if you color outside the lines. Also, I've been to Bud's in Seattle. Neat and funky.

Up over and out.

In many ways the internet has bee good for jazz, becasue it has opened up so many possibilites. For me it makes jazz music so easy to access. And once you find a good outlet, I can get most of thr music I want.

Che.