The CD-Cover thread ...

neveronfriday

Hi everyone,

I bought myself a Canon Pixma 4000 printer, some Avery inlay and cover labels, and went to work. Took pictures of it (not all that good, I'm afraid) with my spankin' new Canon Ixus 30 camera (still learning the basics).

As a first project I took the first CD from the Count Basie Live Roulette Mosaic set and burned a backup copy, just for the hell of it (I actually used it because I have all the info typed up, taken from some thread here).

I love playing around with this stuff (while listening to good music), and intend to make many more, just to relax when things get too stressing. I also bought myself the printer so I can actually print out some of the stuff I have done in the past (illustrated short stories, calling cards, calendars, etc.).

The CD (below) uses a basic layout (hence the deus62) I use for private burns.

The front:

basie_live_front.jpg

The back:

basie_live_back.jpg

The CD:

basie_live_cd.jpg

Do you have any home-made stuff that isn't actually some Photoshop job for some other thread, but in use?

I wouldn't mind seeing some images, if you have any.

Cheers!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deus, very nice, reminiscent of some European labels . . . !

I have some stuff I've done, about 130 covers for Hendrix bootleg material, a few hundred covers for live jazz material from collectors. . . Not nearly as nice as yours, done in a very basic photograph based word document for maxislims mostly. . . .Mine DEFINITELY look homemade, that was the style I was going for, sort of "scrapbook" as a house style. Yours look PRO!

Edited by jazzbo

Thanks!

I love playing with this stuff. I would like to do a lot more design work, but then my ways are probably thrice as convoluted as anyone else's (my Photoshop skills are VERY basic).

Still, I also have tons of design books standing around here (packaging/letterheads/newspapers/brochures/furniture/industrial design/etc.) and I always get good ideas from them. I can look at those for hours. I've also bought books just because I liked their layout (and wanted to study it). Usually, I was at least half-lucky with the content as well. ;)

I think I'll try something a bit more lively next.

Cheers!

Yeah, they look nice.

Thanks!

Have just completed the first draft for the Roulette Studio set (wanted it to look very different ... still too geometrical ... I've got it with shapes ;) ). But now I've got other stuff to do. Will continue next week.

basie_studio_front.jpg

Cheers!

(Edit: probably won't use it because the layout will just eat too much black ink ...)

Edited by deus62

I have some stuff I've done, about 130 covers for Hendrix bootleg material, a few hundred covers for live jazz material from collectors. . .

Most live material I have put in plain slim cases with nothing but basic info. Some I have honoured by making a nice booklet, like the Lounge Lizards.

LizardsLiveGlocke83.jpg

LizardsLiveVG93.jpg

And my GDR jazz compilation got a nice cover as well.

post-19-1102117868.jpg

Nice poster!

Which font is that?

impossible font? ;)

I've seen this cool trick of mirroring and turning letters to get others. Dave McKean did some of that way back when. Recently I saw it on some Flat Earth Society things. There are many more possibilities than just turning the "a" to form an "e" of course, but I like the sparseness here. Good stuff!

Dave McKean did some of that way back when.

Yeah, McKean I really liked. He did Gaiman's Sandman stuff, right? Great lettering, and - what I liked most - great sense of colour. After a while though, I thought there was too much sameness to his stuff. But, I also haven't looked for a while.

On a totally different note: Just got confirmation that I'm on the list for the extremely limited (3000 copies, I think, and darn expensive) Complete Carl Barks starting this summer (30 volumes in 10 slipcases; 8000 pages with over 500 stories, chronological, new coloring, full index, commentary by Geoffrey Blum and a whole bunch of firsts)) Looks like I have to part with some of my limited other books to finance that. And I hope I live enough to get the Complete Peanuts together. The first volumes I really liked.

Now I'm only missing the Complete Calvin & Hobbes (also coming this year, as far as I recall) and together with some really weird CDs I bought lately, I'm back where I started ... age 12 or so. :lol:

Cheers!

For all those non-native speakers here ;) , the German says: "Still in production."

barks_kassette_not.jpg

This one was a must:

6349b340dca0e66049b51010.L.jpg

This one is ongoing for another decade or longer:

1560976322.01._PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This one is coming in September of 2005:

large.jpg

Deus, those look great! Jazzbo's right - very European looking!

(not sure what that is, but, it has that feel) :)

Love this Epson R800. Lots o' fun creating graphics (though I'm not a graphics person).

A friend of mine created an experimental video based on the New York Subway system

and wanted to have a "wallpaper" version made on DVD. For graphics, I decided to have

both the cover and disc pics blurred (train motion, etc...)

He's happy with the results and that's what counts:

ss.jpg

Love this Epson R800. Lots o' fun creating graphics (though I'm not a graphics person). [...]

He's happy with the results and that's what counts [...]

Yeah, those printers can be fun, can't they.

Great toys!

Do you print labels to stick onto the CDs or do you print directly on printable CD-Rs?

Nice work, btw!

Cheers!

P.S.: Everyone else, keep them coming!

Edited by deus62

Nice covers!!!

I should do this with my live shows and boots... :D

If I recall correctly, you are a damn good designer (I think you posted some covers and stuff before around here). Do you have any homemade stuff you can show off? I really (!) liked your stuff (gosh, I hope it was you, but my memory isn't THAT bad yet, ... I hope).

Cheers!

Yeah, those printers can be fun, can't they.

Great toys!

Do you print labels to stick onto the CDs or do you print directly on printable CD-Rs?

Nice work, btw!

Cheers!

P.S.: Everyone else, keep them coming!

Thanks for the compliment.

Direct to disc printing definitely!

I've tried a bunch of those other kinds

and I've known folks who can't play them in their laptops

because of the wobble. First, it was labels - those white thickish things,

then I thought I had it licked when i found those real thin - kinda see-thru

labels - nope, no matter how centered and good it looked,

it still couldn't put up with the speed. (don't discs move at something like 4 or 500 rpms?)

rod