LP to CD

mrjazzman

turntable: as good as you can get. If you are satisfied with what you have, that's good enough. You will need a soundcard. Onboard sound on the motherboard is probably not going to do the trick. You just link your stereo amp-out to the soundcard line-in.

As for software, I use CoolEdit (now Adobe Audition) others here use Goldwave ( http://www.goldwave.com/ ) The latter is shareware and the free evaluation version allows you to do something like 50 or 100 actions and then you have to re-start the programme. Not a problem if you aren't thinking of having major manual declick fests.

I'd advice you to not overdo the editing. Some loud clicks and pops that are messing with the enjoyment of the music you can remove manually and be happy. Automised declicking will in 99% of the cases be detrimental to your music signal.

Guest akanalog

i use a program called cd spindoctor which comes with roxio toast, which is the program i use to burn CDs generally. i can't say if it is better or worse than other programs but i will say, making sure the levels from turntable to mixer to computer to spindoctor program are ok is a real pain in the butt.

I run a Technics 1200 mkIII turntable into a Vestax PCV-275 mixer (which acts as a preamp) and then into my computer. I capture the audio using Bais Peak software. Peak is just fine because it's a 2-channel mastering program and you only need two channels: right and left. On my PC at work I use WaveLab 5.0 which I also like.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a fairly brainless, but perhaps time consuming method to do the conversion. It results from my having inherited a Sony minidisc recorder. So, what I do is, in real time, I copy the stereo signal from my amp line into the minidisc recorder. The disadvantages are that this is real time and, of course, the Sony compression algorithms (whatever they are, I'm no expert). The advantages are that this also gives me a method to record from other sources like radio programs (ie, in November 2004, CBC's "In Performance" broadcast a performance by Uri Caine with a CBC Orchestra of Beethoven's Diabelli Variations) and the minidisc recorder automatically sets volume and balance levels. I then play the minidisc and send the signal through the computer sound card, using, because I have it and its cheap and easy, Roxio Spin Doctor. This is another real time process. After the music is captured, I put track markers in. I do not do any fancy sound editing and Spin doctor is not really equipped for that anyway. The results have been very satisfying (albeit time consuming). I believe that the most important step with any lp copying is getting as clean record surface as possible. This method works for me.

Another option would be to buy a stand-alone CD recorder. They're getting mighty cheap these days. The HHB ones are real nice.

These you can hook right up to your stereo with no computer involved, and record just like normal. I use this method and the results are great! The only problem is that the track markers are often off, especially in sets with lots of stops or silence. On an art ensemble album I had some nearly 100 tracks. Totally annoying. I have not figured out how to fix that problem. But I just keep an eye while the CD is recording and mark which track numbers are for each song.

Re: cd recorders:

I have a Denon 550R ,which has dual trays.

The best reason for the cd recorder is that you loose nothing to compression as when you convert your analog signal to MP3. What you hear on the vinyl, you get on the cd. After that you can load the tracts on your computer so you can transfer them to a hand held divice, like a ipod. It's pretty simple.

Another option would be to buy a stand-alone CD recorder.  They're getting mighty cheap these days.  The HHB ones are real nice.

These you can hook right up to your stereo with no computer involved, and record just like normal. I use this method and the results are great! The only problem is that the track markers are often off, especially in sets with lots of stops or silence. On an art ensemble album I had some nearly 100 tracks. Totally annoying. I have not figured out how to fix that problem. But I just keep an eye while the CD is recording and mark which track numbers are for each song.

Sounds like your cd recorder is automatically putting in tracks during silences. You need to set it to manual, so that you have to physically press a button for it to mark the next track.

Another option would be to buy a stand-alone CD recorder.  They're getting mighty cheap these days.  The HHB ones are real nice.

Sounds like your cd recorder is automatically putting in tracks during silences. You need to set it to manual, so that you have to physically press a button for it to mark the next track.

Even when I set it on manual it still makes extra tracks. I called the company and they couldn't help either. Oh well, it really doesn't matter too much to me. Maybe they have fixed the problem with the newer machines.

HOw does the computer work in putting your lp's to cd? I just use a burner that has nothing to do with the computer.

there are several software applications that allow you to edit the wave file. You can remove some of the clicks&pops&co. and set track marks, etc. Using a soundcard line-in, you can use the harddisk of your computer as a recording device.

Wow, I gotta get me one of those. It'd be nice to remove the pops from the record.

see the link to the Goldwave programme I posted above. Some practise at this is needed, don't expect wonders! Your judgement is as important as the programme. No miracles here, but some added enjoyment by getting rid of the worst blemishes. Using EAC or CDex, you can rip the CDrs you made using your stand-alone recorder to create .wav files on your 'puter and then give them the treatment.

Considering price, quality and user friendlyness, which turntable and software sould I use to transfer my lp's to cd. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 Desk Top

By coincidence I also have a Dell 2400 and was thinking about buying software to transfer my cassettes and Lps to CD. Dell offers this, which looks very simple and painless (sorry for the LONG link):

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/Product...k=&refurbished=

but I was a little concerened about the blurb:

Just plug the Instant Music from Ads Tech into a USB port on your computer and you are ready to begin recording from any analog audio source into popular digital audio formats like MP3, WAV and WMA (Widows Media 9 audio) and AAC. Convert your old collection of cassettes and LPs into crisp, clear digital audio and then create audio CDs and MP3 CDs so you can keep a personal archive of your collection that will not degrade or deteriorate over time. Once in digital format, you can create Audio CDs, MP3 CDs or have the audio ready to be played and enjoyed on a variety of MP3 player devices. With the LP or Cassette to Audio CD Wizards in the included Nero SoundTrax software, you can go from LP to CD audio in 4 simple steps.

by going to a WAV file , will I still be making a true digital audio CD? Can you guess I'm new at this?

Joe C.

By coincidence I also have a Dell 2400 and was thinking about buying software to transfer my cassettes and Lps to CD. Dell offers this, which looks very simple and painless (sorry for the LONG link):

Anybody heard anything about this device, or used one? Is it a new design? Just curious...

By coincidence I also have a Dell 2400 and was thinking about buying software to transfer my cassettes and Lps to CD.  Dell offers this, which looks very simple and painless (sorry for the LONG link):

Anybody heard anything about this device, or used one? Is it a new design? Just curious...

I know a fellow boardmember wanted to get one for Mac. This basically seems to be an external soundcard, no?

which could be good as you cancel any influence from static and whatnot from all the other stuff in your computer.

Edited by couw

By coincidence I also have a Dell 2400 and was thinking about buying software to transfer my cassettes and Lps to CD.  Dell offers this, which looks very simple and painless (sorry for the LONG link):

I know a fellow boardmember wanted to get one for Mac. This basically seems to be an external soundcard, no?

:unsure: I hope you're not asking me... or Joe. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

An update: I bought the external card device from ADS, available through Dell, and it's working wonderfully, very painless and the sound is great. It comes with Nero Wave Editor which allows me to normalize, create peak files and all sorts of things that will take me months to figure out. One minor glitch was that the option to automatically insert the tracks and the spaces between the tracks didn't work very well but once I learned how to manually insert that stuff, everything is cool. So far I've burned a bunch of Dat tapes to disc and some cassettes. This week I'll deal with Lps.

Joe C. :D