Jazz Recort Mart moving

ejp626

I really didn't have time to ask any of the clerks today why the Jazz Recort Mart had moved downstairs (to a space where they had moved the blues, I believe). I'm hoping it is just temporary while they remodel the upstairs. I wasn't crazy about what I saw, since it was even more crowded and the used CDs (which is the main thing I buy at JRM) were in complete disarray. I sure hope this isn't the beginning of the end. Anyone have more details?

I'm assuming that Jim DeJong is no longer there?

rod

about 25 years gone. He's still lurking about town though. He worked at Tower for some years but I don't know about now.

Well, he's gone, but it couldn't have been 25 years.

I left in Aug '87 and he was there then and

plus there wasn't a Tower Records in Chicago until the 90's.

But, I checked the website for Tower in Chicago and it mentions a "Jim"

in charge of Jazz and Blues - could be nearly anyone of course,

but maybe I need to visit Chi-town again someday to catch up.

(If I could only keep from visiting Dusty Groove!!)

rod

Say hello to my son Jacob if you drop by -- he works there (and plays guitar in the rock band Crush Kill Destroy). Other musician-JRM employees at this time are cornetist Josh Berman, tenor saxophonist Keefe Jackson, drummer Frank Rosaly (they have an album coming out on Delmark toward the end of March) and singer-songwriter Steve Dawson (of the fine alt-country band Dolly Varden).

love that store - and I once got yelled at by Koester there, so what's not to like?

Yeah, I was there one time when a guy was selling some Hank Mobley Japanese lps. For some reason they didn't want the one with Donald Byrd and Lee Morgan, so I made the guy an offer on the spot. Let me repeat - JRM did not want it.

Needless to say I learned a lesson that day ... I think <_<

(I later followed the guy down the street and bought good ole' 1540 from him on the corner)

Edited by Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Say hello to my son Jacob if you drop by -- he works there (and plays guitar in the rock band Crush Kill Destroy). Other musician-JRM employees at this time are cornetist Josh Berman, tenor saxophonist Keefe Jackson, drummer Frank Rosaly (they have an album coming out on Delmark toward the end of March) and singer-songwriter Steve Dawson (of the fine alt-country band Dolly Varden).

Enjoyable album, + good liner notes by LKart.

/

Yes, Jim DeJong runs the jaz dept. at Tower Records on North Clark St.

love that store - and I once got yelled at by Koester there, so what's not to like?

Yeah, I was there one time when a guy was selling some Hank Mobley Japanese lps. For some reason they didn't want the one with Donald Byrd and Lee Morgan, so I made the guy an offer on the spot. Let me repeat - JRM did not want it.

Needless to say I learned a lesson that day ... I think <_<

(I later followed the guy down the street and bought good ole' 1540 from him on the corner)

One day in 1965 when I worked at JRM, Koester was w/a customer and I was behind the counter when Wayne Jones came in, selling old LPs. Wayne approached me first, offered me the Cecil Taylor-Gigi Gryce Verve for a couple dollars, so I bought it -- Bob lost 10 years of his life while watching that transaction and mentally calculating how much he could have marked up the resale price (and Wayne, of course, knew very well what he was doing).

The Northside JRM closed around 1995 or '96 - it was right by the

Jewel grocery store on Lincoln & Western.

In 2000, I was at the Golden Angel restaurant on North Lincoln when

Bob Koester rudely butted in on a private conversation I was having

with my friend and folk legend Michael Hurley. We were talking about

the music business and of course he was sitting alone nearby listening

in and couldn't 'help himself' give us his opinion about selling music online.

He finally shut up, left, only to come back 5 minutes later to spiel some

more! :angry:

Edited by 47 West 63rd N.Y.C.

• 18 years later...
On 2/21/2005 at 12:42 PM, rostasi said:

Well, he's gone, but it couldn't have been 25 years. I left in Aug '87 and he was there then and plus there wasn't a Tower Records in Chicago until the 90's. But, I checked the website for Tower in Chicago and it mentions a "Jim" in charge of Jazz and Blues - could be nearly anyone of course, but maybe I need to visit Chi-town again someday to catch up. (If I could only keep from visiting Dusty Groove!!)

Well, I'm visiting a nearly 20 year old post because I didn't know where to post the following.
Too personal to get his own post? Don't know, but sad to hear about this only just today.

"Ubiquitous Jazz Fan Jim DeJong of Chicago Dies at 81"

Edited by rostasi